So I bought a trailer smoker....

Rexter

Found some matches.
Reaction score
And I would prefer to keep the expenses down. Gonna replace the giant tires with something a bit smaller. Gotta wire it for lights too. I need to knock off the rust and paint it. Any ideas for something other than blasting? That is big bucks around here. Here is what I got for $500:mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 684
You could name it "Rock-Crawler Que"! That looks like a really nice deal for 500 bucks. You'll have to keep us up to date on the refinish and show us the all-terrain grub you make with that bad boy!

And I would prefer to keep the expenses down. Gonna replace the giant tires with something a bit smaller. Gotta wire it for lights too. I need to knock off the rust and paint it. Any ideas for something other than blasting? That is big bucks around here. Here is what I got for $500:mrgreen:

Looks good. My neighbor built a similar design using three 55 gal drums (2 welded together long ways with the 3rd in the back with a connecting tube) and the design works well. I'll have to show him this rig.

You gotta stand off in middle of that thing to load fire box?

to keep costs down, i'd use the tires it has until they're shot. as for cheap refinishing, wire wheel/grinder and a couple weekends to knock the rust off.

In your neighborhood there is a company that manufactures vessels and pressure tanks that might give you a good price on sandblasting your rig. I know they have built some Q pits on the side, so they may give you a good price. Can't think of their name off the top of my head, but I used to haul some vessels out of there years ago and found them really friendly folks. They are east off the Brian- College station hwy about a mile. Wish I could think of their name, but I have slept since then.:loco:

Blessings,
Omar

to keep costs down, i'd use the tires it has until they're shot. as for cheap refinishing, wire wheel/grinder and a couple weekends to knock the rust off.

The tires are starting to crack on the tread. Sidewalls are ok but I don't want to leave gator skin anywhere

You gotta stand off in middle of that thing to load fire box?

Not really. I'm gonna put a handle on each end of the lid and wrap the box with insulation.

In your neighborhood there is a company that manufactures vessels and pressure tanks that might give you a good price on sandblasting your rig. I know they have built some Q pits on the side, so they may give you a good price. Can't think of their name off the top of my head, but I used to haul some vessels out of there years ago and found them really friendly folks. They are east off the Brian- College station hwy about a mile. Wish I could think of their name, but I have slept since then.:loco:

Blessings,
Omar

I worked in the business park there so I may have to go knock on doors.

The tires are starting to crack on the tread. Sidewalls are ok but I don't want to leave gator skin anywhere

then disregard that suggestion, I couldn't see that in the pic.

Please be sure to take pics of the restoration. I would love to see the step by step process.

Any way to reset the cooker and box so it's in line? Seems awkward the way it is now.

Sandblasting is expensive. True. Nothing else worked for me though.

For refinishing, EXTERIOR ONLY try ospho. It chemically reacts with the rust, turns it into a black oxide I think and works pretty much like an etching primer. I use it on stuff around the farm all the time, works well on the rust and holds paint real well. But again, only the exterior.
Edit. This stuff: http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

The smoke stacks look like horns. You should paint it to look like a Bull. The fire box handle could be his nose ring.

Started cleaning it up this evening. Used a wire brush in an angle grinder for a few minutes but the thing wasn't balanced very well and my hands went numb. Moved to a red body sanding pad on the drill. Knocked off a majority of the rust to where it is smooth to the touch. After this season I'll re-do it. Blasting was gonna cost as much as I gave for it.

Well, I'll add the pix when it decides to put the security key back.

Back