MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
rmontananyc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Master Forge Mods

Hi, I am in the middle of modifying the Master Forge Green vertical smoker from Lowes. This is my first smoker and I didnt want to spend the money unless I got the techniques down first. I added multiple air dampers, green egg felt around the lid for air retention, new grill racks, new thermometers, and leveraged coal rack... now i want to raise the smoker off the ground by adding legs to it.. is this a bad idea? how high should the optimum height be for the legs? does it matter if the legs are about 1 ft long? please give your tips advice etc. thank you
rmontananyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have 2 of those. I did some of the mods on the first one, on the second I did not. I found that it did not need any of the other mods with the ATC on it.

After adding an Auber ATC all I did was put a charcoal grate in the bottom and it works fantastic.

I dont know about adding height to the legs, I dont think it would do any harm, but I dont think its needed. The thermo is very accurate

why did you change the grill racks? I added u bolts to mine for handles, other than that they are nice I think

Here is a pic of one of mine
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Last edited by ButtBurner; 12-24-2015 at 10:44 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
rmontananyc

i added a charcoal grate on top of the pan so the ash wouldnt dampen the fire.. sorry if i was unclear.. what does the ATC do? also do you have any trouble bringing it to around 250? i had trouble getting it to stay at 225 and then after my mods the thing is ripping hot 275+ have any suggetions.. im using lump charcoal and 2-3 chunks of hardwood/fruit wood every 2 hours

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmontananyc View Post
i added a charcoal grate on top of the pan so the ash wouldnt dampen the fire.. sorry if i was unclear.. what does the ATC do? also do you have any trouble bringing it to around 250? i had trouble getting it to stay at 225 and then after my mods the thing is ripping hot 275+ have any suggetions.. im using lump charcoal and 2-3 chunks of hardwood/fruit wood every 2 hours
with the atc I can go as low as 160 for smoking sausages and bacon to 375 for chicken and such.

the atc controls the temp with a blower. It controls airflow to the coals with a PID controller.

I pack the coal pan with lump, pour some lit coals on top, set the temp on the controller, close it up and let it fly. It really works great, just as good as those high dollar cookers. I have yet to use up 1 load of lump for a cook, my longest cook was about 12 hours, I still had enough left that it would have gone another few

I liked it so much I bought another one to use at my cabin
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
rmontananyc

what model#, price etc.? It sounds like a great device... i have dime sized holes around the bottom of my smoker will that effect the ATC? i closed off the bottom hole to prevent too0 muc hair from coming in and right now the only air holes i have are the tiny dime sized holes i have about every 8 inches going around the bottom green part?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

you would have to close those holes off. All intake air has to come from the ATC to properly control the temp. I used foil tape to close off the big hole in the bottom, you can use that for the holes you made

this is what I have, they run it on sale often for about $125. I see its on sale now. I have the 6.5 cfm blower

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=170

Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
rmontananyc

Thank you for all of your help. Im going to give this thing a shot. If anyone else has advice please post.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

One of the best things you can make for a ECB is a UDS style fire basket. Along with an adjustable intake, and proper exhaust, these things will operate just as well as a WSM or UDS.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
rmontananyc

How can i make one of the fire baskets? what supplies should i use?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
One of the best things you can make for a ECB is a UDS style fire basket. Along with an adjustable intake, and proper exhaust, these things will operate just as well as a WSM or UDS.
Edit edit edit
Boy was I just stupid...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
It's an offset. Char Griller Outlaw. So I'm thinking a rectangular firebox would be in order.
you have the wrong thread.

(see my pics)

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
rmontananyc

also going back to buttburner.. what kind of coal pan did you have on your smokers? do you raise the coal with a poan? do you have holes in your coal pan? thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
you have the wrong thread.

(see my pics)
Farking DUH! Apologies. Clicked on the wrong one.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmontananyc View Post
How can i make one of the fire baskets? what supplies should i use?
this cooker does not need a basket.

See my pics. All I did was use a piece of expanded metal the shape of the bottom of the coal pan and elevate it a few inches to make room for ashes.

do not make this more complicated than it needs to be. Like I said I have two of these exact smokers.

here is a better pic. this was after a 10 hour smoke. This one was not made from expanded metal but its the same idea.

Last edited by ButtBurner; 12-24-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
rmontananyc

also buttburner is there a space where the ATC has room to blow the air? sorry for all the questions but before i chop up my smoker i want to be thorough lol