MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Injection Question

Everyone remember the BBQ competition show that Dr. BBQ was on, hosted by Chris Lilly? (sorry guys, I can't remember the show's name)
Anyway, on the last evening of the show, Chris Lilly's injection recipe was posted on the show. Did anyone write it down, or do you have it? I'd like to try it in the off season. I appreciate the help.
Thanks!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

11/2 pt juice (apple or pineapple)
1 pt water
1 pt suger (brown or white)
1/2 pt salt
worcestershire to taste

this was a pork injection

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
dxesmkr
On the road to being a farker

This is the recipe I have from two different places.I don't remember on the show the exact amounts they used.
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoons worcestershire

Willy T.

"Its better to give someone a hand than just a finger."
dxesmkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

From my blog....
"Pulled Pork

Today, I'm cooking for tomorrow. We're celebrating my daughter's 12th birthday a few days late. Right now, as I type, there is 15lbs of Pork Butt cooking on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I used a modified Minion Method for the fire and the meat should be ready around midnight tonight.

Last night my daughter and I rubbed and injected the butts using Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's fame "Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder" recipe as published in Peace, Love and Barbecue, by Mike Mills. We let the butts sit in the refrigerator over night and got them on the fire at about noon today.

Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder.

1 Pork Butt or Shoulder (18 to 20 lbs) Mine is 15lbs because it is boneless.

Dry Rub
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt (I used garlic powder)
1/3 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used ancho chili powder)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Injection Baste
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. (I use Lea & Perrins)

Make the dry rub. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an air tight container. To better mix the rub ingredients, I mixed it in a covered container and shook the rub well. Then I ran the rub through a screen mesh which worked out all the lumps and blended the rub further.

Make the baste. Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Keep mixing until all dry ingredients are dissolved. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 oz per pound of shoulder. Coat the butt well with the dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pole the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to one month.

Well, that's the recipe. But I know there are major differences between that method of cooking and how you do butt for competition. I'll talk about that in a post later this week."
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
From my blog....
"Pulled Pork

Today, I'm cooking for tomorrow. We're celebrating my daughter's 12th birthday a few days late. Right now, as I type, there is 15lbs of Pork Butt cooking on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I used a modified Minion Method for the fire and the meat should be ready around midnight tonight.

Last night my daughter and I rubbed and injected the butts using Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's fame "Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder" recipe as published in Peace, Love and Barbecue, by Mike Mills. We let the butts sit in the refrigerator over night and got them on the fire at about noon today.

Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder.

1 Pork Butt or Shoulder (18 to 20 lbs) Mine is 15lbs because it is boneless.

Dry Rub
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt (I used garlic powder)
1/3 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used ancho chili powder)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Injection Baste
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. (I use Lea & Perrins)

Make the dry rub. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an air tight container. To better mix the rub ingredients, I mixed it in a covered container and shook the rub well. Then I ran the rub through a screen mesh which worked out all the lumps and blended the rub further.

Make the baste. Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Keep mixing until all dry ingredients are dissolved. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 oz per pound of shoulder. Coat the butt well with the dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pole the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to one month.

Well, that's the recipe. But I know there are major differences between that method of cooking and how you do butt for competition. I'll talk about that in a post later this week."
Wow,Rob, nice post with all of the links.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Hey Rob... out of curiousity, why would the method in those recipes and methods you posted not be suitable for competition?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Jeff_in_KC

BTW Rob... just read your results report on this recipe. I also thought while mixing this rub last night that turbinado sugar would be better... amd the something missing I considered was onion powder. Have you determined what you think is missing from it yet?

May have to fire up a smoker anyway this weekend to try this! It sounds outstanding!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Kinda on topic, when I inject either Brisket or Butt, I notice that A LOT of it comes out as I remove the needle. Am I doing something wrong, or is the $0.94 syringe I got from wally world just a bad product?. The meats that I have injected came out fantastic to me, and the family did not complain. If I am farking it up, then it must be outta this world if you do it right.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
chad

Even the cheapest injectors will get the job done - a lot has to do with technique (what in life doesn't?).

When you inject don't try to push all the fluid into one spot (now that sounds downright rude!) - inject some, pull back a bit and angle the needle to a new spot, inject some more and repeat until the injector is empty. You actually should think of making an * shaped injection field.

Also, try and inject with the grain of the meat.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Also, leave your meat in the cryovac and inject. It helps to hold it in.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
Also, try and inject with the grain of the meat.
Dave, I'm curious. Injecting with the grain - does that help form pockets that stay full or...? Interesting...

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
chad

Actually, it makes the injection process easier and doesn't open up holes across the grain. Yeah, you can get pockets and that's one reason you need to do the injection early and let the meat rest - the injection will have time to disperse more evenly. No matter what you do there is probably going to be some leakage.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

That's my new lesson for the day then. Thanks!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #14
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
That's my new lesson for the day then. Thanks!
I'm so good at creating useful threads.....I bet this ends up in the roadmap.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
I'm so good at creating useful threads.....I bet this ends up in the roadmap.....
Without a doubt, Kick!
KCBS Member #14287