MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Unhappy What to do with those grease stains on concrete.

The other night my wife fired up the gasser to make hamburgers before I got home as we were supposed to have bad weather. Well it moved in faster than we thought and it started raining while the burgers were finishing. No sooner than the burgers came off the rain picked up and was heavy for about an hour before settling down to just a steady rain for the night. Needless to say the cover did not make its way back onto the grill.

Fast forward to the next day and I came home to 3 huge grease stains on the patio. It looks like water got into the grill and filled the drip pan, then spilled over. There was grease inside the cabinet of the grill and it ran out through the creases near the wheels and then ran down the concrete. So out came the cleaning products!

First I tried diluted simple green and a brush. Not much going on there so I went with concentrated simple green. That worked a little. I then went up to straight Clorox Outdoor. That cut it some more but the stains were still extremely visible. Next step was a trip to HD where I picked up some ZEP concrete cleaner and some ZEP absorber. I followed the directions on both items, but the stains are still EXTREMELY visible. They are better than they were, but I'd love to get them even better. Coincidentally the concrete around the stains looks brand new after the cleaning.

Surely some of you have had similar events occur and have some ideas on what I can do to make the stains less prevalent. I would gladly entertain any ideas other than digging up the patio!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Unfortunately, concrete is porous, unless you had a sealer on it you may have to live with the stains.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you can't clean it out, how bout pouring grease over the rest of it to make it match?

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
bigfootinindiana
Knows what a fatty is.

I've always used permatex or fast orange hand cleaner, whatever I have at the time. Scrub the stain with it let it sit for awhile then rinse. What it doesnt clean up you could cover with some baking soda to try and suck it out of the concrete. With normal weathering you wont be able to see it in short time.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've used "clumping" style kitty litter on an oil spill on the driveway. I had to leave it there for a couple of days but it picked up the oil and left the spot where the oil was "whiter" than the surrounding cement.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

save your money, they don't come out completely. Better to do what you can to remove the oil (leaving only the stain). At that point you can test different sealers to see what will darken it enough to blend in all over.

You can keep trying but at some point you'll have done so much to that area that you've created another eyesore.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Paint the concrete black.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

At the Kansas Winter Q in Great Bend KS, where the cook teams set up is also the staging area for the professional drag strip. The drag strip operators were concerned with some grease spills that would get on racing slicks and cause problems. The method they use (and Kent Romine & I used) is like this. First they saturate the concrete with laquer thinner, then use a stiff bristle broom (or brush for a small area) to scrub the laquer thinner in. Then they use a weed burner to burn off the laquer thinner. Then they use a water hose to soak the concrete and spread Tide laundry detergent which is then scrubbed with a clean stiff bristle broom. Then it is rinsed off with water.

This is a lot of effort but it really does pull the grease out of the concrete. The drag strip crew said they have tried lots of other methods, but this is the only one that worked. Also, they suggest the guy spreading the laquer thinner not be the guy using the torch.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Let your dog have at it.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Cajunator
Knows what a fatty is.

Try using a oven cleaner or better yet, Sam's sell a Oven, Grill and Fryer Cleaner that works great. Spray either on and wait a few minutes then if you have a pressure washer, use it to rinse. This should work. You may end up having to pressure wash the rest of the patio area or whatever it is. Lol... It'll make the whole area look new again.

If this doesn't work, time and sunlight will do it's natural best and bleach it away.
Cajunator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I have had success simply putting liquid dishwashing soap on the stain and just letting it soak in for a long while then hitting it with a brush............

Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with Cajunator.... try getting some heavy duty EasyOff oven cleaner. Saturate the spots and cover it with a plastic bag for 12 hours or so. Then rinse.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Never tried it on grease but Oxy Clean does wonders on discolored concrete due to other elements.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Let your dog have at it.
All of the neighborhood dogs eventually end up at my house when they get away. It's the first place the neighbors come to look for the dog! In all seriousness, I would try Dawn dish soap, "it gets the grease out".

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I'd try the paint thinner or other solvent route and the open flame. I've been known to spill oil on conrete(petroleum based) and i've learned to get at it right away w/kitty litter but you need to step on it and grind it in really good. That'll take it out if you get to it right away but if you don't then you can try pouring some solvent on it to hopefully break it down. Then i've taken a propane plumber torch and CAREFULLY( as we all know what a chimney starter left on concrete can do) heat the area gradually till it eventually burns off. It wont be like new again but the stain will be much less obvious. That's my best method and it works but remember to work it over the stain slowly and carefully only to the point where it'll start smoking. See, you get to play with fire so GAME ON!!!!
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, grease, Grill, Patio, stain