MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Making lump

Here we go. I have built my retort burner and am doing the first batch.
I am using Maple for the charcoal. I got a bunch of old pallet wood for the burn wood also had some Dogwood from a dead tree. As you can see, Dogwood does not burn too clean and doesn't smell great ether.
I'll let you know how it goes.t

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon

Last edited by angryfish01; 01-01-2014 at 09:55 AM..
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Wishing you luck. I tried it a couple times with mediocre results. Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I too will be watching this thread. Once we move out into the country in a few years I have every plan of making my own lump. Just seems fun.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Isn't pallet wood treated with chemicals?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Went out to the burner this morning and saw this. 30 gal drum half full of charcoal. It worked well. The only problem is the chunks are smaller than I would like. That may be for several reasons. Will work on it.
As for pallet wood it doesn't matter if it is treated, the burn wood is sepperated from the coal wood.

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by angryfish01; 01-01-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Nice job.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

My impression is that some pallets are treated with chemicals, the ones that are "insect free". I'd be intersted in starting a thread for that discussion....

As long as the burning wood is sperate, I think you be fine. Just sayin'.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cuppala things to think about. The lump looks to be over cooked. Start with a chunk the size of your fist. Unless you are splitting the pallet wood it is to big and burns to long. I don't use anything bigger than my thumb. Maples is easy to split because of the thin straight grain. Switch to oak if you can. That stringy grain helps hold the chunks together. Try closing a few of the vent holes just like on your grill to lower the temperature. The idea is not to burn the new lump but to only heat it high enough to drive out the gasses. Use less wood for the burn. When the new wood is hot enough it is the gasses that burn for heat not extra wood. Sound complicated? Well it ain't. It's just like learning to use your new Kamado. Once perfected you will never buy another bag.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Cuppala things to think about. The lump looks to be over cooked. Start with a chunk the size of your fist. Unless you are splitting the pallet wood it is to big and burns to long. I don't use anything bigger than my thumb. Maples is easy to split because of the thin straight grain. Switch to oak if you can. That stringy grain helps hold the chunks together. Try closing a few of the vent holes just like on your grill to lower the temperature. The idea is not to burn the new lump but to only heat it high enough to drive out the gasses. Use less wood for the burn. When the new wood is hot enough it is the gasses that burn for heat not extra wood. Sound complicated? Well it ain't. It's just like learning to use your new Kamado. Once perfected you will never buy another bag.
Thanks captndan, those were all the same things I was thinking about..I think the burn was too hot and fast.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

1. looks like the exhaust to o big
2, need to run 1" pipe from top to the bottom the gases coming off the charcoal will burn and give you extra heat also need some small holes in bottom of your barrel
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote