MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
TEAM SATCHELL
Found some matches.

Default Poor man's food

Beef tongue Empanaditas

Here's a recipe for Empanaditas De Carne or beef tongue Empanaditas. Or, if you're afraid to try beef tongue, you can substitute it with pulled pork.
1 beef tongue
2 medium apples
1 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinon (pine nuts)
1 c. raisins

Cook tongue; grind with meat grinder. Grind in raisins. Add apples cut into tiny pieces, pinons, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
Dough:
4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Lukewarm water
1/2 c. sugar

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add enough water to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth. Shape into small balls; roll out and fill with meat mixture; flute edges as you would a turnover. Deep fat fry in Crisco until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Or, if you want to skip all of the hard work of making the dough from scratch, pick up some egg roll wraps and use them instead of making the dough. Fill them the same way you would the dough making the flute edges and fry them the same way until golden brown.

Last edited by TEAM SATCHELL; 08-24-2009 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: posted too many times by mistake
TEAM SATCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

In the words of another Brethren, this thread is worthless without pictures!
By the way, I once had dinner with someone who ordered beef tongue. The next day he was telling our friends about how good it was and I commented, "I don't think I could eat anything that came out of an animal's mouth" - and he replied, "Dude, you ordered EGGS and I didn't say anything." :) Guess I need to try this - I'll decide after I see the pron!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Default I Love Head Cheese

MMMMMMMMM...

Cheers,
Nate
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
TEAM SATCHELL
Found some matches.

Chambersuac

Hey man I am working on it. Just because I have no pics doesn't mean it's not good. Maybe you should try it before you condemed me for not having any pics.

UDS
BACKWOODS SMOKER

Last edited by TEAM SATCHELL; 08-24-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM SATCHELL View Post
Hey man i am working on it. Just because i have no pics doesn't mean its not good.Maybe you should try it before you condemed me for not having any pics.

UDS
BACKWOODS SMOKER
Dude, lighten up! Take a deep breath! The rule with the Brethren is, "No pics, didn't happen". So, without pictures, how can we tell if it looks good?
Welcome to the group, by the way. Looking forward to seeing the pron! Now, relax and have a beer...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Smokinrubcom
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
LOL!!! My thoughts exactly

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
TEAM SATCHELL
Found some matches.

I got a Miller light! Hey man it doesn't say anything in the rule book about having to post pictures. I was just sharing info about something people might want to try.

I paid for the year to be a member of this site and just because I haven't posted pics yet, doesn't mean I should be condemed for not posting any.

Do I need to show my pics of my three first place and one seventh place win in BBQ Sauce; fifth in chicken, a sixth and seventh place win in pork, and one first place win in baked beans over six competitions in only my first year?

Besides recipe pics, tell me what you got.

UDS
BACKWOODS SMOKER

Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Ease up, Bro! No one is condemning you for not posting pictures. We like pictures because they help us learn and they make us drool on our keyboards We have a saying as Chambersuac point out of "No pics, didn't happen" in good fun. If you don't want to post pictures, don't do it. It's your choice.

I, for one, would love to see some pics of the process and the results. One of my favorites at a local taqueria is Tacos de Lengua but I have never tried to make them. I'd like to see what you did to make the filling for the Empanaditas. The tongue in the tacos is in chunks, but the cooking process may be similar.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

BTW Welcome aboard a great site.
Traeger Lil Pig

Last edited by Mr. Bo; 08-24-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Why not?
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
landarc

I happen to love tongue ( no pics for you own good ).

For real, I grew up with a sort of tongue stew, and it was tasty. It am not big on the peeling and such. How is the tongue prepared for this dish? BBQ like a pork butt? The only way I have done it is boiling and then stewing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM SATCHELL View Post
I got a Miller light! Hey man it doesn't say anything in the rule book about having to post pictures. I was just sharing info about something people might want to try.

I paid for the year to be a member of this site and just because I haven't posted pics yet, doesn't mean I should be condemed for not posting any.

Do I need to show my pics of my three first place and one seventh place win in BBQ Sauce; fifth in chicken, a sixth and seventh place win in pork, and one first place win in baked beans over six competitions in only my first year?

Besides recipe pics, tell me what you got.

UDS
BACKWOODS SMOKER
As a person who didn't pay for my membership (though I intend to support the Brothers), IMHO the Brethren are the most inclusive and accepting group of people I have ever met. They, including myself, assume nothing about you or your accomplishments (impressive as they are). Everyone respects each other as having something to share, even a newbe like myself is respected and appreciated.

All that being said: The expression, "This thread is useless without pictures" when taken in the context of the Brethren culture, simply means "Sounds GREAT! I would love to see some pictures!" The phrase has developed a meaning as it has been used in many, many threads. It is meant only in good spirits. Pictures are the fun part.

As with most relationships among brothers, there can be a bit of playful jabs and sarcastic comments on the forum. Those comments are ALWAYS meant with respect and appreciation. I believe those comments, especially those that must be understood with respect to the Brethren culture, add to the brotherhood atmosphere that this forum has. Misunderstandings do happen of course. In my limited experience, however, they have ALWAYS been misunderstandings and not intentional.

*Disclaimer: This is my observation as a forum member with limited experience. If anybody feels that I have spoken for them, or spoken incorrectly, please feel free to correct me. I'll apologize immediately.

Now, Lengua is fantastic if it is done right. Your recipe sounds good. Pictures would be awesome. If you have experience with lengua, some tips on how to smoke those big tongues would be really appreciated. Thanks for sharing brother, I look forward to learning from your experience and expertise.

Dave
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82muchhomework View Post
As a person who didn't pay for my membership (though I intend to support the Brothers), IMHO the Brethren are the most inclusive and accepting group of people I have ever met. They, including myself, assume nothing about you or your accomplishments (impressive as they are). Everyone respects each other as having something to share, even a newbe like myself is respected and appreciated.

All that being said: The expression, "This thread is useless without pictures" when taken in the context of the Brethren culture, simply means "Sounds GREAT! I would love to see some pictures!" The phrase has developed a meaning as it has been used in many, many threads. It is meant only in good spirits. Pictures are the fun part.

As with most relationships among brothers, there can be a bit of playful jabs and sarcastic comments on the forum. Those comments are ALWAYS meant with respect and appreciation. I believe those comments, especially those that must be understood with respect to the Brethren culture, add to the brotherhood atmosphere that this forum has. Misunderstandings do happen of course. In my limited experience, however, they have ALWAYS been misunderstandings and not intentional.

*Disclaimer: This is my observation as a forum member with limited experience. If anybody feels that I have spoken for them, or spoken incorrectly, please feel free to correct me. I'll apologize immediately.

Now, Lengua is fantastic if it is done right. Your recipe sounds good. Pictures would be awesome. If you have experience with lengua, some tips on how to smoke those big tongues would be really appreciated. Thanks for sharing brother, I look forward to learning from your experience and expertise.

Dave
Well put, and I second every word...except for that last part about the Lengua!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ View Post
Well put, and I second every word...except for that last part about the Lengua!
Oh, man Humboldt, you don't know what you are missing. The tongue meat is so incredibly tender and tasty. Plus, it pulls apart like fine pulled pork. I tell you, when it is done right, it is absolutely the best!

What I was told, is that you have to skin it or it will taste funny. Plus the tongue skin looks disgusting. I have never tried to make it for fear of ruining my taste for it.

In my experience, the corner taco places around here don't take the time to cook it the right way. But when my friends wife made it the "right way," it was just like the most tender beef you have ever tried. I think it could be a new cut for the smoker.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

You may have paid for a membership, but you still have a lot to learn about the way this GREAT site and it's members think. That will come with time. Welcome, and a lengua sammich is some dang good eats.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote