Turn in Box Presentation

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was always told that you cannot lay your meat anyway that could indentify it is your teams turn in. Yet I look at pictures of turn ins and see all different designs with pork and brisket. We always turned in plain fanned out brisket and pork layered if sliced and piled if pulled. I notice that our presentation scores are sometimes lower and always thought to myself, what the hell are we doing wrong? (yes our parsley is green upright and our greens are nice)

Please someone school me on this because if I am allowed to get a little more creative with my presentations, we would do a hell of a lot better as a team.

If you would be willing to show the picture of a first place pork turn in that would be great! Not looking to steal ideas, just looking to learn here.

Thanks everyone, you have already taught me a lot!

Last edited:
Let's see some of your turn in pics, that could help us try to help you.

here are the pics, I know the porks a garnish mess!

Please rip me apart I can Take it!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not a comp guy nor a judge, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm looking at this just from a guy who cooks and likes good presentation.

My first thought was the greens had no thought in their placement. They look as though they were just stuffed into any nook or cranny. The greens cover the meat.

The brisket looks to big for the box.

Again, just comments from a guy who knows nothing.

Brisket: Your garnish is getting my focus first thing, not the meat itself. Think of garnish as a condiment...something to accent the primary subject, not overpower it.

Pork: It seems a bit "busy" a lot going on in one little space. Like the accenting the meat/lettuce with parsley, but, again, covering up the meat...could work on making separate piles neater...you show off the bark on one section, but, the rest just seems to be thrown in....

Hope that is some help

I think the brisket would look much better if it were in the box straight instead of angled due to the size of the slices. I turned in a box similar to yours before and the appearance scores definitely suffered compared to when I turn it in going straight.

For the Pork as you said in the title the garnish is a mess. What I have been working on lately is turning in large chunks or pulled that display the Bark well along with a sliced money muscle. I haven't got it down pat yet though.

I'll start with the pork ... that box is screaming help me. My eyes don't know where to go or what to focus on. Do you have a reason for 5 piles? If so, let us know. The look is not balanced and the greens are distracting. I'd have a hard time giving that anything higher then a 6 - simply because the way the meat is presented just looks average - at best.

The brisket looks better, but the front piece has some bark that fell off and is on the side of the slice and you can see where the fat is connected to the meat at the bottom - looks like a big scar. And I see a lot of garnish in front of the front piece, I can't see all the meat. I wanna see meat. I'd probably give that a 7, looks a little better then average to me.

At least in this area, judges tend to dislike brisket slices on the diagonal. They also are less than enthusiastic about brisket slices that are too big for the box.

There are a lot of issues going on with your garnish. It's lopping over the sides of the box in some spots, and nearly invisible at other edges. Parsley is placed as if you'd just ripped a wad off the bunch, there are parts flopping. The inflorescences should be even, and should never hide meat.

The brisket looks like you were slicing it with the grain as well... You will get more tender slices, if you cut it across the grain...

Both entries would look better without parlsey. I think the first thing you can do to improve is probably just use lettuce and lay your entry neatly and symmetrically on top of it. Don't do anything too fancy until you get the basics the down. Present your dishes in a visually horizontal way. Don't put things in the box at a diagonal. Try and keep the green border around your entry even around the box.

Slices 1 and 2 on your brisket have obvious knife marks and it appears as though you didn't separate the point from the flat on the first slice...looks nasty. Also, try and even your slice thickness out a bit. Make sure no lettuce goes over the bottom lip of the clamshell.

Your pork is a visual disaster. It looks more like a salad than a pork entry. If you're going with pulled pork, consider pulling 10-12 finger sized, uniform pieces. Try and make sure each piece has bark on it and it very tender. Lay the pieces in the center of the box in a square (with even green borders), bark side up. Also, your pork would look a lot better if presented with sauce so consider that.

But other than those few minor things everything looks great.:p

We always cut agaist the grain, that was acutally off of the flat. I appreciate all of the input. I am glad you are pointing everything out, there is a lot to this MESS!

This was a first place brisket out of 66 teams:

4.jpg

This was a first place pork out of 26 teams:

~pork.jpg

The inflorescences should be even, and should never hide meat.

I had to look that one up:

Pronunciation: \ˌin-flə-ˈre-sən(t)s\
1 a: the mode of development and arrangement of flowers on an axis b: a floral axis with its appendages; also : a flower cluster

I'm not sure I'll ever have a conversation outside of BBQ presentation where I can use that word but I'm going to try.

1 a: the mode of development and arrangement of flowers on an axis b: a floral axis with its appendages; also : a flower cluster

I'm not sure I'll ever have a conversation outside of BBQ presentation where I can use that word but I'm going to try.
LMAO!!! Busted!

I spent a decade as a consulting rosarian for the American Rose Society, and stuff like that sometimes slips out. :icon_blush:

Cut from the flat ... as in you only purchased a flat or you took it from the flat of a packer? Sometimes store boughten flats have some point on them.

Follow what has been said and you'll do better.

I can actually understand and see the logic in you pork... I just doesn't work. What I found was that during practice I take a picture of the entry. That way, when I'm less tired, I can see what the judges are going to see.

Good Luck!!!!

All I can say is I don't know that I'll EVER use it!

Back