• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Then I still needed a chimney. So, in the spirit of things I did not go out and buy one, but I knocked (literally) one together from two kitchen aid holders with a piece of threaded steal. Cost me next to nothing, but looks nice enough.

Half way through the post, I was walking into work and noticed an old Weber chimney sitting outside. Thought to my self, " Man there isn't much to that I wonder if there are any posts about making one.". Started reading again and there it was. Great idea.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quick Q,

Living in Ireland there is zero old Weber Kettle Grill Lids knocking around so i'll be getting my lid straight from Weber.

Obviously I'll be looking for the 57cm (22inch) lid. But I don't know which option to go for.

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-premium/
Width 63cm Depth 74cm Height 109cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-original/
Width 59cm Depth 66cm Height 99cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/smokey-mountain-cooker/
Width 59cm Depth 65cm Height 124cm

Opinions would be much appreciated - Note: I don't have a barrel yet, so if any of the above doesn't confirm to a "standard" drum then please let me know.

Don't fret over finding a kettle lid. Use a drum with an open top, and use the top as the lid. If you are worried about room, then make your grate 8 inches from the top instead of 7.
The kettle lid is only needed when you want two grates.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Half way through the post, I was walking into work and noticed an old Weber chimney sitting outside. Thought to my self, " Man there isn't much to that I wonder if there are any posts about making one.". Started reading again and there it was. Great idea.

Thanks. Funny thing, those stainless pots are cheap as chips. Picked both of them up for under 3 bucks new. Just make sure that you cut the underside out from the underside, not from the side. If you do it from below, you leave a little bit of the bend in place to leave some strength in the top one which you need to have it clamp itself it into the bottom one. Took me all of 10 minutes to make.

Thanks. Funny thing, those stainless pots are cheap as chips. Picked both of them up for under 3 bucks new. Just make sure that you cut the underside out from the underside, not from the side. If you do it from below, you leave a little bit of the bend in place to leave some strength in the top one which you need to have it clamp itself it into the bottom one. Took me all of 10 minutes to make.

Where did you get those pots? And what size are they?

sent from my phone

I got these at our equivalent of a dollar store. And they are roughly 8 or 9 inches I think. (They are not on my desk. ;))

I'm in the process of building one now with a weber lid. I have 2 others with the regular lid but wanted the option of having the extra room if need be. I love smoking beans so that second grate will come in handy.

I'm in the process of building one now with a weber lid. I have 2 others with the regular lid but wanted the option of having the extra room if need be. I love smoking beans so that second grate will come in handy.

"Smoking beans" do you care to share how you do this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Already built one UDS planning on building another but I want to do something different this time. First time I built it very basic nothing over the top. Thinking of making this one a little prettier looking. What do you guys think. Also if you could change anything about how you made yours what would it be?
I suppose it depends on how you built your first one and what you like/dislike about it.

For me, my next one will be powder coated a pretty color and the intakes, exhaust, handles, etc., will be chromed.

My charcoal basket will be free standing and have an ash catcher (right now it sits on top of the intakes).

I think a dolly cart modded with a work surface would be cool.

Oh, and a bottle opener is a must!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

I suppose it depends on how you built your first one and what you like/dislike about it.

For me, my next one will be powder coated a pretty color and the intakes, exhaust, handles, etc., will be chromed.

My charcoal basket will be free standing and have an ash catcher (right now it sits on top of the intakes).

I think a dolly cart modded with a work surface would be cool.

Oh, and a bottle opener is a must!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

See I want to make mine a little prettier. Maybe a glossier paint job a nice work table attached. My original one has a handle on the lid I know for damn sure I'm gonna get some thing a little more durable. Maybe put a chrome exhaust tip coming out of the top? Just want to make it a lot more stand out.

Waiting for the paint to dry on my first UDS, plan to do my first smoke this weekend after a couple of seasoning burns. Thanks for the all the info fellas!

Ive been reading this thread for t months and still have almost 200 posts to go. I still think the queue is growing faster than I can read them.

Is a Water Pan Needed?

In the middle of my UDS build and was wondering is a water pan needed when smoking or not? does it make a difference? any reply would help, thanks.

In the middle of my UDS build and was wondering is a water pan needed when smoking or not? does it make a difference? any reply would help, thanks.

This is something that you will have to test for yourself and decide what is best for you. I don't know of anybody that uses a water pan filled with water in the UDS, but I am sure there are a few around. Most either use nothing or some sort of diffuser to even the heat across the cooking grate.

The reason I don't use a water pan is that on longer burns, which is most of my cooks 8+ hours) the water would evaporate and the temp would spike. One of the beauties of the UDS is simplicity without needing to do much once you get the fire going.

Quick Q,

Living in Ireland there is zero old Weber Kettle Grill Lids knocking around so i'll be getting my lid straight from Weber.

Obviously I'll be looking for the 57cm (22inch) lid. But I don't know which option to go for.

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-premium/
Width 63cm Depth 74cm Height 109cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-original/
Width 59cm Depth 66cm Height 99cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/smokey-mountain-cooker/
Width 59cm Depth 65cm Height 124cm

Opinions would be much appreciated - Note: I don't have a barrel yet, so if any of the above doesn't confirm to a "standard" drum then please let me know.

If you get the WSM there really isn't much reason to build a uds. It pretty much does the same thing.

I like the classic one touch, I really don't think the more expensive one touch gold really adds much.

I almost got a trip to Shannon this weekend, could have brought you a lid. But a couple of my coworkers are going instead.

Back