MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Breaking in Smoker Joe #2 (mini WSM pron)

Having so much fun with our little guy...decided to make him a friend..

...newbie is on the right.

First cook, a tri-tip soaked in Stubb's beef marinade:

These little smokers are great reverse-sear machines. My favorite part is after smoking the beef indirect...you can just lift off the top and stoke the fire (I leave the tri-tip on the top grate, with lid on it retains some heat just fine).

Once the cast-iron grates are good and hot...the sear!

Cooked some Stubb's chicken marinated thighs on our original joe

Sauced with a little Sweet Baby Ray's/apple jelly combo..

No plated pics. Too busy eating!! Stubb's beef was pretty good on the tri-tip. Wasn't really happy with the quality of this particular tri-tip. Gonna try the marinade again with another TT.

Chicken was good. Skin not quite bite-through. The kids loved the sticky-sweet combo of apple jelly and SBR.

We plan on many more double-barrel smoker joe cooks!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm missing somebody very important in these pics right here!

Awesome build and Phoods Bro'!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Phu!! Yeah, she was around (she loves her some tri-tip, for sure)...think she was playing with the neighbors while I cooked dinner.

How about a photo from a recent comp (was supposed to be a 60's theme)...
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Phubar

Dang Katie got big!
Tell her "Hi!" and that I don't want her to change her original hair colour.

Those CI grates...what kind are those?

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
thirdeye

Man, having a pair of Joes is makin' me jealous enough.... then you show off some outstanding food, then a cast iron grate.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the story on the grate?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Those are nice :) I bought a tamale pot to build one with and just haven't gotten started on it yet. I'm jealous of your cast iron grate! I bought one of those for my 22.5 kettle but haven't ordered one for the Joe yet. I just keep uncovering things to spend money on thanks to the Brethren!
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
gtr

Cast iron grate caught my eye too - where'd you get that from? I would ask if you like it but I'm sure the answer is yes!

Nice work all around!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, all, I'm lovin' the cast iron grate. Thought I'd try it out on the smokey joe first. This mini-wsm has become our go-to smoker for family meals.

We're big fans of the reverse-sear. These grates work like a champ here!!

They came from craycort:
http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Dang Katie got big!
Tell her "Hi!" and that I don't want her to change her original hair colour.
Yep, growing up fast, too fast. She's approaching the big one-zero (double digits)!!

Gonna be in trouble if this continues...growing up, red hair!! Gonna be a handfull, for sure!!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
swamprb

Did you catch the in store coupon deal on Stubb's marinades at Fred Meyers?

$2 a bottle!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Excellent job love the cast iron grates! I may have to get me a set

Sent from my MikFroYo Evo using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Did you catch the in store coupon deal on Stubb's marinades at Fred Meyers?

$2 a bottle!
Yeah, gonna have to get some more!

Loaded up on some when it was on sale at QFC...and saved even more with the stack of coupons the nice Stubb's people sent me (I felt like an extreme couponer )!! Were like a $1-$1.50 a bottle!!