So, I cut a pork butt down the middle…now what?!?!

umyaya

Knows what a fatty is.
I am cooking a recipe that called for cutting a pork butt into thirds through the bone. I didn't bother but I did cut it right down the middle until I hit the bone. The main purpose is to get more of the marinate around the meat. The pork butt is about 8 pounds.

Any idea what the cook time will be at 250? I don't know if I should cut the time in half or not.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I do not know Personally I would let it sit in the marinade a lot longer. I did one for several days once I would tie it with butchers twine LCook it like it would take the same amount of time and if done early keep t warm in a cooler

If it's now in two pieces the cook time will be less, but not half. I've found that smaller cuts tend to take more time per pound.

Next time try a boneless pork butt like Costco and Sam's sells.. Save the headache of cutting and slicing.

IMHO... Cook time will be way more than half because if I'm understanding you correctly, the two halves are still connected by the bone which means they will still be cooking in the same surface area. Just my redneck logic but I could be wrong!

Thanks for the advice. I decided to put it on the smoker early this morning instead of last night. Shooting for halftime.

Back