• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My First Garnished Box for KCBS. Got a few questions still....

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I got some good answers to garnishing a box for an upcoming KCBS event (my first 2 were MBN). I went with the lettuce on the bottom, parsley on top. The lettuce does seem to hold the parsley in place really well. I guess I should try it without the lettuce and see what happens. It only took me about 15mins for this box. I was paranoid it would take longer.

I only had a black to go box in my fridge so bear with me on that. I think it looks ok for a first stab. Maybe try and even up the outside edge. The color seems fairly consistent. I bought 3 bundles of parsley and used about 1.25 for this one box.

What feedback/suggestions do you all have? Also when do you all do the garnish for your boxes? Shortly before the first turn in times? And when they are done do you put them back in a cooler. I'm guessing 90 degree weather may cause them to wilt. Also how many bundles do you bring for 4 boxes? I'm guessing since it took about 1.25 I should get 6-8. Thanks!

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

I think the box looks great! Concentrate on the edges since that is what will be visible to the judges. The middle will be covered with meat.

Is that iceberg lettuce? I understand this is practice, but I don't think that is a legal garnish for KCBS.

The length of time it takes us is heavily dependent on the overall quality of parsley. What you have looks pretty darn good (deep uniform color and tightly bunched leaves). We spend extra time working the edges and corners to make sure there are no gaps as well.

Is that iceberg lettuce? I understand this is practice, but I don't think that is a legal garnish for KCBS.

The length of time it takes us is heavily dependent on the overall quality of parsley. What you have looks pretty darn good (deep uniform color and tightly bunched leaves). We spend extra time working the edges and corners to make sure there are no gaps as well.

It is iceberg. I wasn't sure what lettuce is allowed and guess I should find out :). I figured since it was the most popular lettuce out there it would be allowed. I appreciate the feedback

I think the box looks great! Concentrate on the edges since that is what will be visible to the judges. The middle will be covered with meat.

Ah yes. I didn't think about food actually covering this stuff. Any idea if iceberg lettuce is legal?

From the 2011 Rule book:

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are​
prohibited.

Green leaf is what we use for our base. We start about 2" from the core and cut cross-ways, creating slices of the layers of leaves. The width varies based on the category and depth of the box. Hope it helps!:thumb:

Not thqy i uae iceburg, but i didnt realize that either. I always use green, if using lettuce.. and julienne the same.

I don't use iceberg, either, but I thought I read an advisory or something that said it was legal, but I just went through the advisories on the KCBS site and didn't see it. Just to be safe you may want to use green leaf lettuce. Just don't use the cores.

Very nice putting green. Thats the way we do it too. If you look at the Pickled Pig's website there is a tutorial on how to do it this way. I think you have done a wonderful job. We make ours early on turn-in day and put them in a cooler until we need them.

I don't use iceberg, either, but I thought I read an advisory or something that said it was legal, but I just went through the advisories on the KCBS site and didn't see it. Just to be safe you may want to use green leaf lettuce. Just don't use the cores.

Ya I tried finding something as well and nothing specifically mentions Iceburg So I'll just make the decision to get green leaf for the base and then do the parsley the same. Easy change. Thanks!

Very nice putting green. Thats the way we do it too. If you look at the Pickled Pig's website there is a tutorial on how to do it this way. I think you have done a wonderful job. We make ours early on turn-in day and put them in a cooler until we need them.

Thanks. I go check that out as well. Always good to take a look at multiple styles.

From the 2011 Rule book:

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are​
prohibited.

Green leaf is what we use for our base. We start about 2" from the core and cut cross-ways, creating slices of the layers of leaves. The width varies based on the category and depth of the box. Hope it helps!:thumb:

I don't see the words "Green Leaf Lettuce" anywhere in rule 12.
I do see "Leaves of Fresh Green Lettuce".
Iceberg is a green lettuce.

YankeeBBQ is right. I see a fair amount of iceberg and romaine come through when judging. As others have said, take care not to use the cores. Otherwise you're good with what you've practiced.

Back