Slow Smoke Rotisserie Chicken 3-Ways - Taste Test

woodsider

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
At the lake this weekend so the only “smoker” I have access to up here (for the moment anyway ;) is the Weber 470 with smoke box. Decided to try three different ways to prepare slow smoke rotisserie chicken and do a “taste test” with the family :-D

Didn’t have time to prepare rub from scratch so used two different Lysanders rubs – Chipotle and Spicy Bourbon.

* First bird (left) is just dry rubbed with the Chipotle rub.

** Second bird (middle) is injected with a brine of the Spicy Bourbon rub, JD, soy, my favorite habañero sauce and lime. Then slathered with Grey Poupon and the habañero sauce, then dry rubbed with the Spicy Bourbon rub.

*** Third bird (right) is injected with a brine of the Chipotle rub, JD, soy, and a glug of maple syrup. Then simply dry rubbed with the Chipotle rub.

IMG_0054_zps9d9b55ec.jpg

IMG_0059_zps55415866.jpg

After proving to myself for the 99th time that mixing any spices into a spray-basting sauce clogs the sprayer :doh:, I started over and made a basting juice for the sprayer out of these ingredients:

IMG_0065_zps59cf0089.jpg

When we can find them, we use these "Smart Chicken" birds (not so much because of the organic etc but mainly because they have great flavor)

IMG_0087_zps4fa772c4.jpg

Getting started with the infrared burner to start the browning process. Decided to try pellets this time in the fire box instead of wood chunks:

IMG_0070_zpsf9a5535b.jpg

IMG_0074_zps605eaabc.jpg

I use three iGrill minis so I can fiddle with the burner settings to keep the temps even across the length of the rotisserie (just getting going here so burners are not even yet):

IMG_20140817_141230_zps1d21579d.jpg

Thanks for reading this post :thumb:

I will post the finished product when they are done.

wow, that is quite the rig you set up

Searing for about 30 minutes at 360 to 380…

IMG_0078_zpsa3a0564e.png

… then cooking for about 1.5 to 2 more hours at 220 to 230:

IMG_0090_zpsa86134aa.png

Is it dinner time yet Dad?

IMG_0091_zpsc416329b.jpg

I hope the poor starving doggy gets some!

:becky:

Phinished product phoeople:

IMG_0096_zpsce6c91f0.jpg

Will provide final serving pics and taste results test after dinner :-D

Last edited:
Winner of the Pepsi Challenge

Ready for serving after resting :hungry: :

IMG_0098_zpsd02250f1.jpg

IMG_0100_zps77b8d0fc.jpg

* Winner with most “tastiest” votes went to the middle bird – with the injection and mustard/habanero slather before the rub. In addition to adding a little “tang”, the mustard seems to cake the rub on and form a thicker glaze that keeps the moisture in a little more than the others.

* Second place was the left hand bird with nothing but rub with no brine injection.

* The third bird was also good but was nudged out by the others. Might have used just a touch too much JD in this brine.

And yes… puppy got his too:

IMG_0102_zpsaca4e16f.jpg

Thanks for reading this post, hope it was interesting :yo:

Interesting experiment and some great looking chooks

Back