My First smoke with Yard Bird

mikegtp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am currently smoking some boneless chicken breasts at a steady 235 degrees in my vintage clay BGE. I didnt brine them or anything, just coated with a little olive oil and sprinkled on some Yard Bird. I plan on pulling them off at 165 and letting them sit for 5 - 10 min. Current temp is 141 degrees and it has been smoking for approx 1hr 25min. I will post pics of the results!

Yardbird is one of my favorite rubs you will like it. I don't brine or marinate my chicken either just EVOO and a liberal amount of yardbird.

Cool. What vintage is your BGE? Sounds interesting!

Go out there and crank up the heat to 325+, unless you like to eat rubber bands.

Careful not to go over 350 unless you want to buy a new cooker:becky: No high heat cooks on the older clay models!

Will it be that bad at this low of a temp??? yikes. this thing is clay, i know 325 would be ok, but hopefully i can get it to stop there. the internal chicken temp is currently at 153 will continue at this temp. if it turns into rubber i will just chalk it up as a learning experience. btw, i did trim the fat off, if that matters

You can always throw in the oven for 10 min to crisp skin

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Will it be that bad at this low of a temp??? yikes. this thing is clay, i know 325 would be ok, but hopefully i can get it to stop there. the internal chicken temp is currently at 153 will continue at this temp. if it turns into rubber i will just chalk it up as a learning experience. btw, i did trim the fat off, if that matters

Sorry if I freaked you out, but it's been my experience with lean meats, like chicken, pork loin, venison, etc. They dry out going low and slow. Hot and fast works better.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. this thing is pretty air tight except for dampers being open. I also have water in the drip pan. Maybe it will be ok, maybe not. learning experience either way. 3lbs worth of breast and there are only 4 in there. Also i only paid $1.69/lb, so not a big risk either:pray:

temp is only at 154 now, just up 1 degree in the last 15min, the smoker temp is still at 225, so hopefully it will be ok

I would take them out now and let them rest for 10 minutes. 155 is perfect for breasts. If you wait for 165 you'll dry them out.

My chicken came out GREAT! Tender andjuicy! YardBird is good too

2881742820102849888S600x600Q85.jpg

2200642540102849888S600x600Q85.jpg

Back