MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
RussellB
Found some matches.

Default Tuning plate trouble

Hello all. I'm new to this site and first let me say I'm a novice cooker and I just purchased a lone star grillz 24"x24"x36" vertical offset smoker. I've been trying to dial the cooker in and get an even temperature across the pit which I can't seem to accomplish. The pit comes standard with two tuning plates and I was told by the owner this style of pit is the easiest one to dial in with even temperatures. I have used my maverick et733 and two oven thermometers several times to try and adjust temperatures. I can't seem to get it within 30-40 degrees difference at the least. I'm also a little dumbfounded that my pit is hotter on the smoke stack side and not near the firebox. I've even pushed both tuning plates all the way over to the smoke stack side and temps are still hotter over there. Can anyone help me understand as to why temps would be hotter on the smoke stack side or how I can get this pit dialed in with even temperatures. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks all.
RussellB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
WHS88
Full Fledged Farker

I would call Chris and let him talk you though it.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

^^^this or change your title to LSG tuning plate trouble and ssv or another member with this same cooker will chime in.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I just made tuning plates for my vertical offset. I have 4 4" steel plates as my tuning plates. Sure they aren't pretty, I didn't make them to look pretty, but they do work. It might be different having 2 tuning plates, but so far using mine I can get within 10 degree difference left and right across the board, but in order to do that I've had to move the tuning plates a little bit at a time.

If I'm running hot furthest away from the firebox, I would start closing the gap on that side of the cook chamber making a bigger opening in the middle. start with small changes, as I've found small changes can make pretty big differences.

but like I said it could be completely different with 2 tuning plates, and it also may be different with "professional" made tuning plate set up and cooker as my cooker is completely home grown

Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Vertical chamber heat flow is very different than a horizontal. The distance from the firebox to the stack side is 24" as opposed to 36", 48".etc. The heat from the firebox has a very short distance to travel to the stack side. Thus, tuning the smoker is going be different than with a horizontal. Rather than butting up the first plate next to the downward baffle in your cooker, you need to direct heat up at the firebox end by placing the first plate 1 3/4" to 2" away from the baffle. The next plate can be placed with a 1 1/2" gap. You need to tune the smoker with no meat in it and do not even look at the side to side temps until after a couple of hours. If needed, you can then adjust the gaps and wait another 45 minutes or so before checking the side to side temps. Believe me, you will get there......... it takes time just like all cookers to get them tuned. Mine is will be completely even or perhaps up to 10* higher on the stack side depending how much and where I place the meat in the cooker.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Tuning plates are flat? I think I'd try a piece of thin sheet (16g) and bend it like a louver directing heat back to the firebox side of the CC... works for ac /heat registers- might make some sense here too- might not. /gonna leave before the laughing starts

Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Why did I not think of that! However, since mine is tuned using those "flat" tuning plates, I think I will leave well enough alone.

I agree your idea works great for ac/heat registers.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
RussellB
Found some matches.

Thanks all for the responses. I called Chris and hopefully with his and all the advice on here I'll get it figured out.
RussellB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lone star grillz, lonestar grillz, offset smoker, Temperature Control, Tuning plates