MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #9286
hs106
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I made a PBC turkey hanger before they existed and it's about as cheap and easy as it gets. Just go to Home Depot and get a 3' pre-cut 3/16" carbon steel rod and do the following:

- Cut it to about 35" inches
- Find the center and bend it in half into a steep A shape
- Bend 4" of the bottom of each leg of the A outward at slight upward angle
- Wash it well with hot soapy water
- Insert the apex of the A into the cavity and out through the neck hole
- Put a metal crossbar of some kind across the two PBC rods (I used a 10" piece of 3/8" rebar)
- Hang the A with a standard PBC hook on the crossbar (you will have to leave one PBC rod out until the turkey is in the cooker and then insert it)

Done!
Great idea. Gonna give this a try. Quick (probably stupid) question though: If buying a 3' rod, is cutting an inch off per the first listed instruction important for some reason?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #9287
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
Great idea. Gonna give this a try. Quick (probably stupid) question though: If buying a 3' rod, is cutting an inch off per the first listed instruction important for some reason?

Thanks
Great question. It really depends on the size (length) of the average turkey that you intend to cook. The A portion needs to be long enough for the apex to barely poke out of the neck cavity.

Given that you're obviously going DIY, buy the turkey, measure the length, and subtract about an inch. That will get you right in the ballpark.

Keep in mind that you'll be hanging it from a standard PBC hook, which adds about 4" to the hanging length.

I hope this helps,
John

P.S. From one vet to another, thanks for your service to our country!
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #9288
hs106
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post

P.S. From one vet to another, thanks for your service to our country!
Back at ya!

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #9289
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Turkey test run!

Last weekend I did a test run for the Thanksgiving turkey (my first). Dry brined with Harvest Brine for ~55 hours and then smoked for 5 hours. I chose a 20 pound bird, which I think led to some problems. 20 pounds is about all the PBC can handle, it lead to only a few inches on either side of the widest part of the bird. This is where my probes were sitting, so they were registering pretty low, ~230, with a PartyQ. I didn't seem to be able to get it higher than that, and didn't want to burn the breasts by opening everything up. Still, the lid was hot to the touch, so I thought being close to the sides and meat was giving me a low reading.

Still cooking started well until the bird hit 151, where it stalled. I cranked up the PartyQ to 275. After ~30 minutes of solid work, the PartyQ did get it up to temp, and the bird made it to 161, when I cracked the lid until 165.

The reviews were great all around, minus the rubbery skin. For Thursday I have a 17 pound bird. I think a smaller bird and couple extra starter briquettes will speed up cooking time and help keep the PBC up to temp a higher temp. I detected a slight bitter smoke flavor, which I think will also be helped with smaller bird, warmer temps, and shorter cook times. I'll crack the lid at 155 to help crisp the skin, and aim for 300 as a cooking temp.

Anyway, on to the pictures!

PNWSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #9290
Haole Pete
Full Fledged Farker

So if using the turkey hangar, do you go legs UP or legs DOWN?

The PBC video is legs up, which just seems odd. Or maybe that's cuz I'm used to hanging chicken halfs breast-up...
* Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker (used for BBQ gear storage)
Haole Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #9291
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole Pete View Post
So if using the turkey hangar, do you go legs UP or legs DOWN?

The PBC video is legs up, which just seems odd. Or maybe that's cuz I'm used to hanging chicken halfs breast-up...
Legs up.
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #9292
Haole Pete
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks!

Trying to read up, as I'm doing two turkeys on Thursday without ever having done one on the PBC before.

(We'll serve lotsa beer/wine just in case I biff it up.....)
* Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker (used for BBQ gear storage)
Haole Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #9293
NKSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone ever cooked a turkey larger than 20 lb? I just bought a turkey hanger and a 24-pound bird. Hopefully it fits. Should I do anything different? The last turkey I I did was about 17 lb. Any guesses on the estimated cook time for a 24-pound bird?

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it