MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
bbqmike_ny
On the road to being a farker

Default Ribs in 2 Hours?

A friend of mine follows a recipe in the webber app, they say to do offset cooking @300dg for 1.5-2hrs, he usually does baybacks, and says they come out good. (I tried them once, and they were tender). My last cook took over 4 and I figure I averaged about 280, at 2 hrs I wasn't anywhere near done. My theory is, based on his description of his fire (kettle with one chimney split on each side with the racks in the middle) that he's running hotter, maybe in the 350 range. What would the guidelines be for time vs temp, is a 50dg change enough to take off 1.5-2 hours?
bbqmike_ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do spare ribs all the time in 3 hours at about 250 and could speed that up with hotter temps. My beef ribs last night were done in 2 @ 250

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Fwismoker

Mike you're using a offset and he's using a kettle? Anyways meats cook faster when they're getting a direct type of heat vs an indirect type of heat at the same temp. You can stand in 90 in the shade and get no sunburn but stand in direct light at 90 and you will.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I cook ribs on my Akorn for the restaurant in about 1.5 -2 hours. I usually run at 275-300. The smaller ones take less time. When I get the 3# slabs, those will take a little longer.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Just curious, why the hurry? I find that pushing higher heat limits creates a drier product since the meat tightens up faster which pushes out moisture . Fat doesn't render the same way. I'm moving back closer to the L&S methods that made me fall in love with BBQ in the first place. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Here's a thread from a few weeks ago I did. The results were very good!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173083

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
landarc

You say baby backs, at 300°F, baby backs, especially the standard thickness ones can be done in 2 hours or so. Depending on how he is measuring, he could easily be at 325F, which, even that 25°F difference can be a big difference in time.

To answer the question of why the hurry, surely, it isn't always necessary to cook hotter and such. But, at times, you just don't have time, and really want ribs, or you have mistimed other things, and need to get things done. To some degree, the more tools and experience you have, the better the cook you are when things go wrong.

As for meat drying out, that is not so much a fact, there is evidence that there is a happy medium. Some classically trained cooks believe very strongly that for most cuts, hotter is better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

A true BB rib is 1lb or less, any rib over a 1lb is a loin back.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
bbqmike_ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Mike you're using a offset and he's using a kettle? Anyways meats cook faster when they're getting a direct type of heat vs an indirect type of heat at the same temp. You can stand in 90 in the shade and get no sunburn but stand in direct light at 90 and you will.
Both on Kettles, at the moment I only build a fire one side, vs his split method (I also only need 1/2 a chimney vs his full to start).

Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
bbqmike_ny

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to do my own test and see if I can 'get em done' quick as well, really the only point to be to be able to make them for dinner on a week night.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
Hal4UK

These days, the term "Baby Back" is used pretty loosely. Although not technically correct, people are often calling any size loin back a baby back.

Even with a true baby back, 2 hours sounds a little fast, but maybe not (we always do the larger loin backs).

Also, as someone else mentioned, you can cook (any) ribs pretty hot and they will still come out moist as long as you pull them out in time. You can dry them out just as easy at 225 if you leave them in too long.

Most folks have better luck (we do) cooking ribs hot. I've seen ribs cooked too low that eventually dried out before they ever got "bendy". At 275+, they will almost always come out "happy" and "bendy". Just have to pull and serve (or pull and move to holding temps) at the right time.
Hal4UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
bbqmike_ny

I actually just found the recipe he uses, out of the Weber app, and it actually says indirect at 350-400 for 1.5-2 hours, which to me, makes sense.

Good tips on the high temp cooking, it makes sense, you can get to the same point, but your window to pull it off at the right time is going to be smaller.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
A true BB rib is 1lb or less, any rib over a 1lb is a loin back.
Actually its 1 1/4 lb or under to be called a Babyback.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote