MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #4741
jpayne22
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I just rechecked their website, it says the engine paint is good to 500 degrees. If you ever plan to crank it higher than that, they also have a high heat paintthat's good to 1200 degrees, but it comes in considerably fewer colors.

Auto Zone has brake caliper paint that is good to 900* and it is available in colors other than flat black like the high temp BBQ paint.
jpayne22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #4742
mbshop
Babbling Farker

others have paint that is good for 1200 and 1500.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #4743
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Why paint it? Just let it rust like the rest of the uglies out there! Still cooks the same.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #4744
jpayne22
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The paint job lets it cook closer to the house. Can't have anything too ugly on the back deck!
jpayne22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #4745
porcinepirate
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool UDS build

Hello,

you guys got me inspired. I have been trying my hand at BBQ on a ECB since last year. I have made some mods and got it to work ok, but now I have decided to up grade to a UDS. I am trying to incorporate the good Ideas from forum members.

here is my unpainted drum, I stole the idea of using pipe pieces for feet.

Here is the charcoal basket, I think it is functional even though it is not very cleanly built.

once the rain stops, I will build a diffuser, insert the controls for the vent holes at the bottom. Has any one tried to use magnetic sheets (like refrigerator magnets) to cover the holes?, can they take the heat?

I have a line on a 22.5" weber grill for the top and grate

Porcine Pirate

" Pigs are our tasty Friends"
porcinepirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #4746
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcinepirate View Post
Hello,

you guys got me inspired. I have been trying my hand at BBQ on a ECB since last year. I have made some mods and got it to work ok, but now I have decided to up grade to a UDS. I am trying to incorporate the good Ideas from forum members.

here is my unpainted drum, I stole the idea of using pipe pieces for feet.

Here is the charcoal basket, I think it is functional even though it is not very cleanly built.

once the rain stops, I will build a diffuser, insert the controls for the vent holes at the bottom. Has any one tried to use magnetic sheets (like refrigerator magnets) to cover the holes?, can they take the heat?

I have a line on a 22.5" weber grill for the top and grate

Porcine Pirate

" Pigs are our tasty Friends"
Yes magnets have been used and work good.

Nice build by the way, I like your basket with the model T mod!!

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #4747
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking good Pirate!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4748
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Great start pirate.. Now season it and post some pron!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #4749
porcinepirate
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkJeep View Post
Great start pirate.. Now season it and post some pron!!!
If the weather cooperates, I have a little more work to do, I want to sand the inside down to the metal, I did a burn out, but still some stuff? remains.

I have to re-sand the outside and paint it. then drill holes for the screws for the heat deflector and the rack supports. Hopefully the weather here in not so sunny (over the last few day) California, will let me do this few hours of work by the weekend.

I promise to put up some pics of the first cooked pork.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #4750
phoney
Found some matches.

Here's my contribution!!!

I couldnt find expanded metal anywhere (Sydney Australia)! (I looked in Hardware stores and a scrap metal yard) Luckily I had an old 14" charcole BBQ lying around, sop I driled about 100 1/2" holes in it, made legs out of bolts n nuts and used the lid of it as an ash pan. The chain is from an old hanging flower pot. Makes lifting it into and out of the UDS a hell of a lot easier!

It works OK for now, but im keeping my eyes peeled....

It holds at 250F for 6 hours, then it drops to around 200F for another 6 hours. That's with all 8 x 3/4" intake holes open and 4 x 3/4" exhaust holes open. A fair bit of smoke escapes from around the lid which is why I figured it's OK to have more intake than exhaust open.

For those of you using flat drum lids (like me), how do you stop the paint from scraping off on the rim of the barrel and the inside rim of the lid everytime you open and close the lid? It's scraped back to bare metal and is beginning to rust on mine. :(

Last edited by phoney; 01-21-2010 at 06:48 AM..
phoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #4751
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Don't worry about the paint scraping off. A little vegetable oil on the bare metal and a few smokes later you have a nice seal against any rust.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #4752
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Nice solution to the charcoal basket issue. I found expanded metal at a steel mill here in Houston.

Do you have any problems with the charcoal getting choked by ash? Maybe you don't since you get long burns...
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #4753
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

pirate- what type of heat diffuser are you using?

phoney- just food for thought but it looks like your charcoal basket may not let enough ash escape? Also you you may need more exhaust? My webber lid is not enough during cold weather smokes. I have to crack the lid a bit. Good luck and let us know if you change anything and how it affected your burn..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #4754
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Phoney- seldom do you want more intake than exhaust.
Your basket allows more air than a BGE(look at one) and they have no problem. Of course they only have one intake.
When it rains your barrel is going to fill with water- unless you cover it.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #4755
porcinepirate
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkJeep View Post
pirate- what type of heat diffuser are you using?
I built the diffuser by making about a 16" diameter, minus some metal from some edges, and welded some angle iron, and will suspend it over the coals by a few inches, , the hight of my coal basket is about 12.5 " so I figure about 15 to 18 inches should do. I made it strong enough with 1 inch angle iron, so that it could hold a water or drip pan. There should be about 3-4 inch gap all around for the smoke and heat to rise.

As I mentioned I have been using a ECB smoker and the water pain seemed to be an integral feature. I have read on the site that some like the fat to drip into the coals for added flavor, but I can leave the diffuser out and try it that way also.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker