Help with ribs

AUBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Alright guys, this yr my worst category was ribs. I’m looking to change my flavor profile for next year. I’m currently using a commercial rub, which I really like, and a sauce I make. The sauce is basically a blend of two store bought sauces sweetened up a lot. I know Blue’s Hog seems to be the trend now, so I thought about trying it. I haven’t been, but does anyone here marinade ribs? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
I’ve been cooking my ribs at 250 and I do wrap in foil the last 45 mins or so before I glaze. I’ve done a few practice runs at 275. What are your thoughts on cooking them at 275 rather than 250?

I struggled on this as well. I am going to work on making them sweeter and perfecting the tenderness for next year. I currently cook at 225 for 4 hours, and wrap about 3 hours into it. I have not tried cranking up the heat yet but I think im going to try that as well. IMO, as long as you can perfect the tenderness, with either slow and low, or running a little hotter, it doesnt matter. As long as the bite mark looks good and its not to tough/tender, that should be fine. I recently got to taste a few grand champion ribs and they were SWEET. Im going to experiment with different sugars to see what I can come up with.

1) 225* for 4 hours isn't going to give you the necessary tenderness. even wrapped for an hour. i'm cooking @ 275* for 4 hours.
2) share what products you're using and i'll try and steer you toward a different flavor profile.
3) i do not marinade ribs.

What areas are you struggling in? What do your scores say?

I have noticed when I nail the texture, I do well. My ribs tend to be sweet with a bit of heat. I cook at 250 as that works best in my cooker. 2 hours in the open, 1 hour in foil and then about 30-45 mins with the sauce.

Ribs are my go to category.

I’ve been using yard bird rub with sweet store bought sauces (big bob gibson’s red and sticky fingers sweet) that I doctor up with additional sweeteners. I think the sauce is really sweet, too sweet for my liking at home, but it may not be sweet enough for the judges. When I foil I also add the usual ingredients to add another layer of sweet. They usually cook 3.5 – 4 hours at 250 then foiled for 45 mins and glazed for an additional 10 mins.

I'm cooking at 275 for 4 hours 2 - 1 1/2 - 1/2
Didn't start scoring well until they were WAY sweeter than I like them.

:ban::ban::ban:

AUBBQ, You may be heading off in the wrong direction (flavor profile I mean). On most tables, the difference between the top performers and the bottom isn't flavor (averages being averages) so much as it tends to be tenderness. I'd start there. Know the definition of the sanctioning body you're competing, because a few define them a little different from one another.
Then make your ribs, slice them how you do, put them in a styrofoam box (with the same greenery you use in comps), let 'em sit for 30 minutes, open it up and see what you have. Many change over those 30 minutes.

Then, once you've hit tenderness perfectly, is when you should consider flavor IMHO. Also, are you putting too much sauce on the ribs? Does the sauce mask the flavor of the ribs, or does it enhance it?

All good points. I’m going to work on perfecting the tenderness more than anything over the next month or so. I may play with some marinades and try some blues hog on the next few practice runs. I like the rub so I’ll stick with it and see how it works with the new sauces.

Good idea with the boxes. I did that several times at the beginning of the yr with all entries. I waited about 20 mins and tasted. Meat temp was the main thing I noticed. It’s amazing how much it cools off.

Good question… To me the sauce is really sweet but bland. It may need some heat or tang to balance it out.

Thanks guys!

another vote for 275 - time will vary due to the cookers efficiency
assuming it can steadily hold 275 measured at the grate i've been doing well at 3 hours- no peeking, followed by two 15 minutes basting - sauce sessions

lance is spot on. get your tenderness right. your 1st post states 225 for 4 hours which raised a flag for me, later you write 250. so thats a bit confusing. either way, i think you're short on time at those temps or low on temp at those times.

as far as flavor...just get some blues hog original and TR, mix em and you'll have real spark.

I’m going to try 275 the next couple of cooks.

Boogie – I’ve been cooking mine at 250, lcbbq, 2nd post, said he cooked his at 225. I usually keep a good log of times and temps so at 275 I’ll be sure to keep good notes. I’ll try the bh original and tr, I’ve heard nothing but good things about those two.

Thanks.

Hoping Dan Hixon (3 Eyz) will post :-D Mine stink most of the time and he is the best rib cook I know!

I agree....Dan give us your secrets:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mike...can we get your brisket secrets?

For those making time and temp recommendations...what are you cooking...baby backs or spares? I think tenderness issues need to take into account which cut you are usinf.

Last edited:
I’m going to try 275 the next couple of cooks.

Boogie – I’ve been cooking mine at 250, lcbbq, 2nd post, said he cooked his at 225. I usually keep a good log of times and temps so at 275 I’ll be sure to keep good notes. I’ll try the bh original and tr, I’ve heard nothing but good things about those two.

Thanks.

:icon_blush: sorry.

i cook spares.

slabs AG is an excellent product as well.

i've brushed it on over sauce and the rib was waaaay too saucy.

but then again, i don't really set my sauce on the cooker.

however, steve is a far better rib cook than myself, so he may do it differently and or better.

We use the largest spares we can find and cook at 250 with a Stoker using a fairly strict 3-2-1 method. It's done well for us in the tenderness portion of judging.

For taste we go disgustingly sweet on both rub and sauce. I'm not a fan of the taste, but past judges have liked them.

Back