MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #376
jpeisen
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfi1234 View Post
Please give us a detailed review of it when it arrives...been looking for good info on this unit for a while.
I've had an Assassin Pellet Grill since late May and am willing to answer any questions you might have. I should probably update my initial thread about it with a post-summer update, but other things (i.e. life) kept getting in the way of doing long cooks.

-John

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #377
bkwentz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeisen View Post
I've had an Assassin Pellet Grill since late May and am willing to answer any questions you might have. I should probably update my initial thread about it with a post-summer update, but other things (i.e. life) kept getting in the way of doing long cooks.

-John

Please. I am very close to ordering one with a nearly identical blue door.
bkwentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #378
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeisen View Post

-John

John please update. Your one of the main reasons I ordered mine.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #379
pecanbayouaggie
Found some matches.

I am looking at the Assassin pellet grill as well. I would like to hear about your experience with it. I had a Traeger Pro 34 for about a year but sold it a couple of weeks ago and was looking at the Yoder YS640 and the Pitts and Spitts Mav 1250. When I called All Things BBQ about the Yoder they said that the Yoder uses about 2 lbs per hour of pellets that got them out of my interest. I really like the Pitts and Spitts but since it is made here in Texas I would have to add 8.25% sales tax as well as the drive to pick it up so I would be into it for almost $2750. The price is higher than I want to spend. I found the Assassin and it checks most of the boxes, price, capacity, controller.
pecanbayouaggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #380
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

If the amount of pellets used is a concern a pellet grill might not be for you,as temps drop the usage will increase ,as any thing else the more company's that get into producing them the price wars will benefit the users lol,mine will run 1-2 lbs per hr depending at what temp is set. Within the next month temps will hit 30 or so on some nites and will see how mine does,also mine will hold 31 lbs of pellets and if you like sleeping at nite a large hopper is needed

Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #381
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

If you buy pellets at the right prices you are talking about a difference of about $4-6 dollars per 8 hr cook going from 1-2 lbs per hour of consumption. If you are looking at high end pellet grills I’m not sure why that would play a part in the decision.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #382
pecanbayouaggie
Found some matches.

It's part of what I do for a living, cost analysis and purchasing. If I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 lb per hour vs a pellet grill that uses 2 lbs per hour then I buy the more efficient unit taking in the expected life of each grill. If my kitchen at work needs a double stack convection oven I take into account the energy usage as well as purchase price. When recently I bought new compressor and condenser for the walk in freezer at work I paid more for the equipment due to the energy usage with the cheaper equipment was higher compared to the energy costs of the more expensive equipment over the life of the equipment. So as to a pellet grill if I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 pound per hour of pellets vs a pellet grill that uses twice as much at 2 pounds per with all other things being relatively equal I will buy the more efficient unit every time.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #383
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanbayouaggie View Post
It's part of what I do for a living, cost analysis and purchasing. If I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 lb per hour vs a pellet grill that uses 2 lbs per hour then I buy the more efficient unit taking in the expected life of each grill. If my kitchen at work needs a double stack convection oven I take into account the energy usage as well as purchase price. When recently I bought new compressor and condenser for the walk in freezer at work I paid more for the equipment due to the energy usage with the cheaper equipment was higher compared to the energy costs of the more expensive equipment over the life of the equipment. So as to a pellet grill if I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 pound per hour of pellets vs a pellet grill that uses twice as much at 2 pounds per with all other things being relatively equal I will buy the more efficient unit every time.
Follow up question on this. Are there any pellet grills out there that have been tested that burn twice as many or half as many pellets than another? And, is it worth the extra cost? For example, Traeger costs twice what a GMG does, but I don't hear it's any more efficient. So, why buy a Traeger unless you want to pay for their marketing campaign and sales force? Is it really that much better of a grill? With that said, we are in a market where "premium" is cool and people pay for it. Look at Yeti, that's what Traeger is clearly trying to mimic and it's working.

FWIW, I've gotten my GMG Daniel Boone pretty efficient at this point with adding Nomex gasket around the lid and the thermal blanket in the winter.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #384
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanbayouaggie View Post
Problem is, and I maybe wrong on this, but from what I understand, the grills that run on more efficient programs, tend to put out less smoke and less smoke flavor. Those like the MAK, are programmed to put out more smoke, but use more pellets. I had a GMG that was very efficient, however the smoke flavor was extremely light, almost nonexistent and was not to my liking. My MAK produces a flavor similar my coal and lump ceramic, but does use the pellets. For the flavor, that's OK with me.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #385
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I guess 2 different ways to look at things. To me the cost of fuel over time is insignificant if I’m cooking on the smoker that is exactly what I want

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #386
jpeisen
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwentz View Post
Please. I am very close to ordering one with a nearly identical blue door.
:-) That is Dodge Viper blue, fwiw. I really like it, and it still looks great.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #387
jpeisen
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
John please update. Your one of the main reasons I ordered mine.
Alright, I'll try to update it this weekend.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #388
pecanbayouaggie
Found some matches.

I sold my Traeger because of constant flame outs due to the controller. The Traeger put out some great meals and I never had a problem with smoke once I got to know it. I'm not bashing Yoder at all, I may still buy one, I just think taking everything to account is the smart way to buy anything. Anyway it really comes down to ones preferences and it is nice to have competition within the market.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #389
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Those like the MAK, are programmed to put out more smoke, but use more pellets.
Your assumption with the MAK is dead wrong, especially when using the Flame Zone insert. MAK unlike other PGs changes fan speed which creates more or less smoke.

Smoke setting (180) to 245 = 60% of fan speed.
250 to 295 = 80% fan speed
300 and up = 100% fan speed

I use a combo of programed cooks under 245 for meats I want to smoke and I'm easily well under a pound of pellets per hour.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #390
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoke Therm Receiver Stand?

Just got the Smoke therm. I'm not going to use the lanyard, but I would like to have some kind of stand for the receiver, so that I can set it on tables and such, but still have it visible from around the room. My old Maverick has a flip out stand that works great. I'd really something like that for the Smoke receiver. Anyone ever seen one?