MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #151
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wookiee View Post
I get lumberjack delivered free from dicks sporting goods for $15/20lb bag; if going bulk you should be able to get under $10/20lb bag. I like lumberjack and bbqr’s delight better than everything else I’ve tried. LJ >BbQ DL.
I have a Lumber Jack dealer in the area $11 for a 20# bag so that's what I'll be rolling with. I know a lot of people mention 100% Hickory any other flavors I should look into? Might just start a thread on Q-talk about Lumber Jack as well, it would be interesting to see what everyone likes.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #152
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a feeling with duties and freight most options will be cut out at this point, luckily 2 great options are avalabel locally here in Canada. Timberline and YS640, both around the same price. After reading problems with the Timberline I am leaning towards the YS640 due to fellow Brethren and what looks to be amazing build quality.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #153
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I have a Lumber Jack dealer in the area $11 for a 20# bag so that's what I'll be rolling with. I know a lot of people mention 100% Hickory any other flavors I should look into? Might just start a thread on Q-talk about Lumber Jack as well, it would be interesting to see what everyone likes.
I really like the mesquite blend. Also use cherry and apple for chicken but It is a much lighter smoke profile than the hickory and mesquite. They have 100% pecan but I haven't found it local yet. I use hickory 90% of the time in my hopper then add the flavored pellets to my amaze n tube.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #154
olddawg
On the road to being a farker

I used completion blend I get off amazon its maple hickory and apple
olddawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #155
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wookiee View Post
I get lumberjack delivered free from dicks sporting goods for $15/20lb bag; if going bulk you should be able to get under $10/20lb bag. I like lumberjack and bbqr’s delight better than everything else I’ve tried. LJ >BbQ DL.
I never thought about Dicks? There is one by work. There is a Bass Pro here, but it is in Atlantic City NJ, of all places??? I am sure there are pellets in that store, just very inconvenient to get there. Might make the trek into the city. Hell why I am there I will get a Baltimore Grill Pizza!!!!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #156
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
.....Hell why I am there I will get a Baltimore Grill Pizza!!!!
Or a sub from The White House!

[I]The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well.[/I] [SIZE=1][B][I]- John D. Rockefeller[/I][/B][/SIZE]
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 PM   #157
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

B&b has a comp blend out now too that I just bought. I can’t remember the price but it was a 40# bag

Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #158
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Lonesome View Post
Or a sub from The White House!
I know you have to weigh the options. We actually got subs a few weeks back from the White House. Personally I like the Cheesesteaks better!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #159
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron_si View Post
B&b has a comp blend out now too that I just bought. I can’t remember the price but it was a 40# bag
I wish Wal Mart would carry flavors from B&B. All my store carries is Hickory. Wish they would carry Lumberjack pellets to boot. I am sure some stores across the country carry different products, but my local store just carries the B&B Hickory. It is in the middle of a transformation of a being a Super Center, so hopefully they will carry more items soon! Should be done by November.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #160
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Rural King carry's lumberjack,$8 something for 20lb bag ,going to pu some mesquite and cherry and Pecan and lord knows what else,they have the char pellets to but going to pass on those,pu a bag of B&B 2 years ago from some where and have been using them in my MES with good results

Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #161
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I bought a Pit Boss Austin LX about 3 weeks ago,love it so far,not done any smokes over 5 hrs or so yet but will soon as I have been learning on small stuff before I throw15-20 lbs chunk of meat on it,been using lumberjack hickory ,wife doesn't like to much of a heavy smoke any more due to indigestion so I don't need to add any extra than what the pellets provide,plenty of room and temps stay pretty stable,would buy it again

Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #162
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I wish Wal Mart would carry flavors from B&B. All my store carries is Hickory. Wish they would carry Lumberjack pellets to boot. I am sure some stores across the country carry different products, but my local store just carries the B&B Hickory. It is in the middle of a transformation of a being a Super Center, so hopefully they will carry more items soon! Should be done by November.
Academy sports sells them if you have one of those chains

Old 05-31-2018, 08:46 PM   #163
jafo28
On the road to being a farker

Piked up a GMG Davy Crockett last weekend. I've smoked a meat loaf and a pork butt so far. I also put it on a moving dolly with some U-bolts, so I can easily roll it in and out of the shed. So far I love this little thing.

GMGDC.jpg
jafo28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #164
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Got tired of waiting around for the Mak mini, so got a Davy Crockett for the camper. This little thing smokes like a locomotive. Mine is loud so they r sending me a new auger assembly..works pretty well, although I can’t stand the legs on it

Burgers really through up some smoke signals

Chops came out quite good

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #165
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
I bought a Pit Boss Austin LX about 3 weeks ago,love it so far,not done any smokes over 5 hrs or so yet but will soon as I have been learning on small stuff before I throw15-20 lbs chunk of meat on it,been using lumberjack hickory ,wife doesn’t like to much of a heavy smoke any more due to indigestion so I don’t need to add any extra than what the pellets provide,plenty of room and temps stay pretty stable,would buy it again
With ribs I usually do a 50/50 Cherry and Hickory or just strait Apple. I always use Apple when I do a Boston Butt. My wife is the same way. She likes the Pellet grill over the stuff I make on the Pit Barrel cooker. You might find she likes the Apple pellets as they are a bit lighter. I have a bag of Pecan out there, but I have never used them.