MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #226
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Anybody ever use cooking pellets.com??? https://cookinpellets.com/

I see these on Amazon all the time and they are $20/20#’s with Prime. I seen Lumber Jack Pellets 60#’s for $60bucks, but no prime available on that one.

https://cookinpellets.com/

-----

Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #227
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Permanent home will be on the back patio once the monsoon stops.

I have the bottom storage shelf to still install should be here Saturday, not the best pic's, I don't do well in low light.

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 06-14-2018 at 06:35 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #228
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Looks like you're going to have a fun weekend. Pellet grills give you a lot more beer drinking time.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #229
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Looks like you're going to have a fun weekend. Pellet grills give you a lot more beer drinking time.
Thanks looking forward to cooking on it, the Hunsaker once it's up and running rarely ever needs to be touched. The great thing is I can watch TV and my cookers at the same time, wet bar with beverage cooler right there too.

WGA

Old 06-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #230
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Yeah, I have been eyeing a Hunsaker for awhile now. I have to talk myself out of it, pretty regularly. I am sure I will give in at some point.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #231
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Yeah, I have been eyeing a Hunsaker for awhile now. I have to talk myself out of it, pretty regularly. I am sure I will give in at some point.
I tried to talk myself out of a PG and look at me now.
WGA

Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #232
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I tried to talk myself out of a PG and look at me now.
You are making a good sales pitch. for a pellet grill. "Have good cookers already, still went ahead with a pellet cooker". I am with you. I have a UDS and like to use it. I like my stick burner (although not my favorite design) too. My PG is great.

I like two things about it the most:
1) my wife can start the grill and cook on days when i am running late
2)they are great for smoking in set it and forget it lifestyles.

If i could change it, i would only upgrade to a model that is a vertical, for slightly more consistency in heat

Old 06-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #233
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Curious for 2 star general owners, when using the flame zone direct cooking, how do you keep the juices from going down in the flame pot? When indirect cooking it looks to follow into the grease tray, however in direct with the flame zone, it looks like it will just roll down into the flame pot. Am I looking at it wrong? Thanks Dave

Old 06-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #234
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

1. I wish someone would do up to date videos on Mak grills that aren't 35 seconds of footage shot with a potato.

2. Whats the difference in interior space between a Mak 1 and 2 star
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #235
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
1. I wish someone would do up to date videos on Mak grills that aren't 35 seconds of footage shot with a potato.

2. Whats the difference in interior space between a Mak 1 and 2 star
Maybe a little something here for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6JZ...Cq-wlI53_M02dZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88rTFaynAQ

Old 06-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #236
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I agree on Mak videos... they r terrible. I think the best pellet pooper vids out are from chef Tom and yoder (it was a major reason I bought one). Mak (and Memphis and others) could take a que from chef Tom and company (and I can’t stand Rec Tec vids...but that’s just me:))

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #237
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Curious for 2 star general owners, when using the flame zone direct cooking, how do you keep the juices from going down in the flame pot? When indirect cooking it looks to follow into the grease tray, however in direct with the flame zone, it looks like it will just roll down into the flame pot. Am I looking at it wrong? Thanks Dave

Every hole you see when the Flame Zone pans (covers) are removed is raised. Two things happen when you have the holes exposed and grill at high temps:

1) Almost all juices/fats vaporize as soon as they hit the Flame Zone pan.

2) Juices/fats that don’t vaporize run down and around the holes. Think of each hole as a mini island.

The design works quite well. I can honestly say that for everyday grilling, the MAK has been one of the best “grills” I have ever cooked on as far as performance and overall results are concerned. With that said, when it comes to screaming hot searing, nothing beats lump charcoal IMO.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #238
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

16 lb brisket from yesterday on my 640. Cooked at 240 for 15 hours. Bark was hard and jerky like. After a few briskets and trial and error have learned that for my pit and tastes brisket needs to be butcher paper wrapped.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag75aPuzEKbmhkPXyI1QI2oRsdQU
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #239
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Every hole you see when the Flame Zone pans (covers) are removed is raised. Two things happen when you have the holes exposed and grill at high temps:

1) Almost all juices/fats vaporize as soon as they hit the Flame Zone pan.

2) Juices/fats that don’t vaporize run down and around the holes. Think of each hole as a mini island.

The design works quite well. I can honestly say that for everyday grilling, the MAK has been one of the best “grills” I have ever cooked on as far as performance and overall results are concerned. With that said, when it comes to screaming hot searing, nothing beats lump charcoal IMO.
Nice write up. I was looking at it before I cooked on it and was thinking it was going to be a mess but I see now how it works. I did a brisket today and I learned I still have allot to learn. It is still resting, but cooked to fast and I did over cook it 214 degrees eeekk!! Anyway it is still resting will see how it turned out in a bit. I do know one thing, I wish I would have foiled the grill now. What a mess!! Took me 45 minutes to clean the insides of the grill. I just gave up after awhile and accepted that they will not look new again LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
16 lb brisket from yesterday on my 640. Cooked at 240 for 15 hours. Bark was hard and jerky like. After a few briskets and trial and error have learned that for my pit and tastes brisket needs to be butcher paper wrapped.

Looks good. I wrapped mine, but probably a bit to late. I put mine on early this morning and went out and when I got back it had cooked much faster than I thought. Mine looked similar to yours when I wrapped.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #240
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

That looks really good!