Best way to keep chicken wings/quarters crispy for vending

Q_Done_Right

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I (and my business partner) will be "experimenting" with a small scale vending operation at a local recurring food festival each Wednesday night near where I live this coming summer. Everyone buys dinner there and there isn't any smoked BBQ vendors at the event; I see real potential here as I'm already known for the unique specialty desserts I've been selling there the past couple summers...the event organizers are very excited about this and I know we can deliver. Here are my questions:

I've already been approved by the local health department to sell and they approved my equipment (three WSM's, Carlisle non-electric hot holding box, counter top food warmers). The menu will consist of two different smoked meats each night. While I plan to have pulled pork and/or pulled chicken sandwiches (usually pulled pork), I also want to offer wings (drums and flats) and brined chicken quarters (thighs and legs). I know that chicken will be fine right off the smoker if served immediately or within 10 minutes out of a counter top warmer that is kept around 140 degrees. But how long realistically can chicken with crisp skin hold up decently in one of those before the skin turns out soggy? I'm especially scared that if I make a lot of wings/quarters up front and have to put some of them in the insulated hot box for for 30 minutes or more (maybe over an hour +) there is no way they will be crisp. My wings (and homemade sauces) are my specialty and I especially want those to shine. I will not have the option to throw the wings/quarters back into the smoker or a kettle grill to firm up the skin due to my limited set up...once they are cooked that is it. Wings will be quickly sauced to order.

So, how long can chicken with crisp skin be hot held for before quality begins to suffer?

Would it be better to stagger my chicken cooks so I instead have "fresh" chicken coming off every hour? I'm just worried about losing customers if I don't have food ready at all times.

Will people really complain if juicy/tasty smoked chicken doesn't have crisp skin? Or is this a HUGE selling point in BBQ?

For what it's worth, I will also be rotating items in like homemade sausage and meatballs (for meatball subs) some nights to rest out different items; I know these items should also hold fine.

Thanks for any insight you could provide me!

Welcome to the forum. I wish that I could be of some help to you, but I will be checking this thread to learn from others as you are. You are living my dream of doing something like this on the side, (my wife thinks I'm nuts) and I am excited for you. Best of luck.

Welcome to the forum. I wish that I could be of some help to you, but I will be checking this thread to learn from others as you are. You are living my dream of doing something like this on the side, (my wife thinks I'm nuts) and I am excited for you. Best of luck.

Thanks! And yeah, I guess I am a little nuts for considering this. :mrgreen: Thankfully the investment will be real minimal and this will be a great spot for me to start SMALL while testing out the waters/learning the ropes. True (authentic) BBQ really lacks here in the Chicagoland area where I live. Best of luck to you should you also go for it someday. And I've found these thread archives very helpful so far. A lot of great info in here.

I've served plenty of chicken wings (whole) at vending events. I do usually cook in two stages so I have some fresh ones coming off in teh middle of teh vend.

I usually keep them holding in the vertical warmer on my pit around 150-160deg in an uncovered or lightly tented pan, or I've kept them in a chaffing pan heated with sterno. The skin isn't as good as when they first come off, but as long as its cooked properly at first, I've found that the quality doesn't suffer too badly after holding for even over an hour. It is not as crisp but it doesn't seem to turn into a soft tough skin. People love them.
I use a carlisle holder for everything else. Haven't tried holding chicken in there. I feel like the environment would get too humid.

Have you considered a lamp or radiant warmer. These are usually used to hold fried foods and keep them crisp. You would need to experiment with how long you could hold warm before it dried out the product, but would probably be the best bet for hot holding crisp food.

nachos4life...I agree that the hot box wouldn't be the way to go for chicken wings or chicken due to all the moisture in it. A food warmer set to 140-150 degrees will be my best bet as they will be cooked very crispy to start. If they break down a little sitting in the food warmer or chaffing dish oh well. They'll still be darn good. This line of work can't always be 100% perfect.

ace261...never thought of that but that isn't a bad idea. I'll look at cost and if it isn't too much that might not be a bad thing to experiment around with before the summer season starts.

Thanks guys!

If you have the money laying around, a CVAP (Winston) should hold your crispy stuff with the proper setting.

Why in the world do you only have 10 minutes to serve out of the smoker or counter unit? Is that some sort of local/state law? Since they are also telling you 140 degrees they must not be following the USDA recommendations...using their own rulebook (which is ok).

In my world, the temp is 135 not 140. And you can use time controls in lieu of temp controls. Meaning...if my product is 135 or above when I remove it from the holding compartment, oven, range, smoker, etc., then I can forgo the temperature standards for the next four hours. The discard time must be documented/labled, and the food has to be discarded after four hours...if, of course, there is any left. In a perfect world you would have used that product within the four hour period and moved on.

Back