MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Question about doing a pork butt, backwards.

So here's my challenge. Wife is gone and I have the little guy. Want to do my 8# butt but know I won't have time during the day to tend to the grill like I would need to. I know some people cheat after the first few hours and finish in the oven. My question is can I do it backwards and start in the oven and then finish with the smoke when she gets home later this afternoon?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

You can but the results would not be the same. The butt will pull most of the smoke flavor as it ramps up to 140-160 depending on who ya talk to.

Better off starting on smoker and move to the oven.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Never did it that way, but have done the oven after the smoke. My thoughts would be that the smoke would not have the same or any effect on the final product. All you can do is try though.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeppers that's what im doing. Just trying. It started to rain here anyway so maybe its a sign. Guess I could throw a couple chunks of wood in the oven...Should be able to air out the house by the time she gets home. LOL. I'll keep you all updated.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I would smoke it in the oven.......but I can take a punch.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Guess I could throw a couple chunks of wood in the oven...Should be able to air out the house by the time she gets home.
I'd seriously rethink that idea, waiting on the update..........

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Walter Jeton was the Pit master for many a presidential BBQ back in LBJ's day. He use to cook his briskets in DO's the finish on the pit. My Grand daddy said it was some of the best he ever ate.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Update...

So after 7 hours in the oven going to do a 2 hour smoke to see what happens. Probably get kicked out of the Brethren for this but I found some sides to go along with it too. Maybe I should enter that Throw Down thing after all.

Last edited by Dadeo719; 01-02-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Dadeo719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

You gots some courage my Friend!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Walter Jeton was the Pit master for many a presidential BBQ back in LBJ's day. He use to cook his briskets in DO's the finish on the pit. My Grand daddy said it was some of the best he ever ate.
Right you are, my parents and grandparents were big Democratic supporters, and Texas ranchers to boot. Those Jetton barbecues were something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeo719 View Post
So after 7 hours in the oven going to do a 2 hour smoke to see what happens. Probably get kicked out of the Brethren for this but I found some sides to go along with it too. Maybe I should enter that Throw Down thing after all.
Heheheee, You won't get kicked out of anywhere. You improvised. Smoke rings form early on, then stop at 140° or so. Smoke flavor comes on all during the cook. I've taken trays of pulled pork and returned it to a low temp smoker and can a nice flavor on it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the pep rally we will see. LOL. Some great things were born outa necessity.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Bludawg

Great beans, and mac & cheese don't come from cans & boxes

Old 10-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Nope but it does make for a happy little one. That means happy me.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

Final score: definitely not as good probably as yours I'll have to admit this time. Didn't get a good bark as I like. Texture alil off. But taste is great. Still has some smokiness to it. Will be making some BBQ Pork Pizzas tomorrow for sure. Overall under the same circumstances I'd do it again.

Last edited by Dadeo719; 01-02-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Dadeo719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Bludawg

I think the key here is your using it as a pizza topping in a future meal & not ordering pizza for tonights dinner