Anyone else pre order the new Salt Lick (Famous Texas BBQ) Cookbook ?

If you want to pay some shipping, you can get some delivered from many online places - Black's, Kreuz , Opa's, Southside Market, Slovacek's etc...

^Going to try some ^

The only TX sausage I have had was when I was in Houston couple years ago (on biz) and we traveled down to Baytown. At lunch I had BBQ catered in to feed the plant to celebrate a big job. Bee, the prezes assitant took care of it. I have no idea where they got but I ate the fire out of the sausage.

We always do PaPa's Steak House on Westheimer in Houston. Not BBQ but some top shelf eats and drinks.

Any good sausage around Houston ?

come on down. Come to Austin and do the J. Mueller's, Franklin's, Salt Lick run. Then do a day in Lockhart (an hour from Austin) and I would tell you hit Snow's in Lexington to finish it off. Snow's is only open Saturday at 8am until they run out of meat. It is unreal and worth the hassle if you are on a BBQ quest.

Other mentionables are City Market in Luling (for everything) and Southside market in Elgin (for Sausage only- everything else is blah)

Let me know if you ever make it happen, I'll draw you a map.

This on my things to do list. We have a lot going on in 2013 with family, biz and on the farm but I am going to make it happen within the year. I was recently looking at http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq and the writes up thay had on all these you mention but any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I'm going to look at map and figure a route I will to tie into couple other stops. If it's OK I will send you a note when I get close. Thanks

Thanks for the line on the book - love a good BBQ read. It'll be here Tuesday (love Amazon Prime too) :clap2:

I have a iron stomach, but Ive had explosive chits after eating salt lick 3 different times same with the big group's I went with. I really wont eat anything but sauce from them, don't take my word for it go when there busy you'll need pepto.

Cook book looks good though lol

Sent from my SGH-T999

Interesting looking book Rick, thanks for the heads up!

Jeanie, You were the first person I thought of when I saw that nice color picture of Chicken Fried Venison. It looked like something I would see on your bog. Lots of other good stuff to but that had Cowgirl's County Life all over it.

Just took 2 advil and heading out to cut n spilt some more wood.

I have a iron stomach, but Ive had explosive chits after eating salt lick 3 different times same with the big group's I went with. I really wont eat anything but sauce from them, don't take my word for it go when there busy you'll need pepto.

Cook book looks good though lol

Sent from my SGH-T999

Good info I guess ? Wonder why they keep going back 2 or 3 times if it's that bad ? LOL

Jeanie, You were the first person I thought of when I saw that nice color picture of Chicken Fried Venison. It looked like something I would see on your bog. Lots of other good stuff to but that had Cowgirl's County Life all over it.

Just took 2 advil and heading out to cut n spilt some more wood.

Rick Thanks, I've been eating a lot of chicken fried venison since deer season. It's one of my favorites. :grin:
Had not thought of taking advil before working, wish I would have yesterday. lol
Good luck with your wood work! :thumb:

This on my things to do list. We have a lot going on in 2013 with family, biz and on the farm but I am going to make it happen within the year. I was recently looking at http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq and the writes up thay had on all these you mention but any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I'm going to look at map and figure a route I will to tie into couple other stops. If it's OK I will send you a note when I get close. Thanks

TX Monthly is the perfect place to start. Definitely let me know when you start to plan. I'll hook you up with some fun stuff to do along the way

^Going to try some ^

The only TX sausage I have had was when I was in Houston couple years ago (on biz) and we traveled down to Baytown. At lunch I had BBQ catered in to feed the plant to celebrate a big job. Bee, the prezes assitant took care of it. I have no idea where they got but I ate the fire out of the sausage.

We always do PaPa's Steak House on Westheimer in Houston. Not BBQ but some top shelf eats and drinks.

Any good sausage around Houston ?

I assume you mean Pappas Bros. Steak House? That place is aweosme. I go there all the time.

Funny enough, Houston has crap BBQ. I haven't had good bbq there ever and I've tried. The best I had was the total hole in the wall in the hood with cats all over the tables :)

It was in TX monthly as the best in houston and it was good. It was called Virgies BBQ. I enjoyed it but it might not be for everyone. It's not "sanitized" for the masses. It's an old school joint in kind of a rough neghborhood

I assume you mean Pappas Bros. Steak House? That place is aweosme. I go there all the time.

Funny enough, Houston has crap BBQ. I haven't had good bbq there ever and I've tried. The best I had was the total hole in the wall in the hood with cats all over the tables :)

It was in TX monthly as the best in houston and it was good. It was called Virgies BBQ. I enjoyed it but it might not be for everyone. It's not "sanitized" for the masses. It's an old school joint in kind of a rough neghborhood

Yes, PaPa Bros Steak House right there around Galleria area off Wesitsheimer. Love it. I also like his Mexican places Papsitas but not a fan of his seafood places Papdaux.

FYI...If your ever in Chicago (also a few in AZ and CA) and have never been go to a Portillos and get an italian beef with giardiniera (everything is good and the chocolate cake rocks) http://www.portillos.com/flash/portillos_2.html

You will go back and get another trust me.

Yes, PaPa Bros Steak House right there around Galleria area off Wesitsheimer. Love it. I also like his Mexican places Papsitas but not a fan of his seafood places Papdaux.

FYI...If your ever in Chicago (also a few in AZ and CA) and have never been go to a Portillos and get an italian beef with giardiniera (everything is good and the chocolate cake rocks) http://www.portillos.com/flash/portillos_2.html

You will go back and get another trust me.

It's actually Pappas (that is their last names- rhymes with "slap us") not PaPa's like a someone's granddad. The Pappas family does not own it anymore but they still carry the family name.

i'm all in on portillos. I'll be in Chicago in Feb.

Have only been to the Salt Lick (Driftwood location) once several years ago and had the brisket, ribs & sausage and thought all were very good. Really cool place and the cookbook looks like a goodun.

BBQMaverick, if thinking about doing a Texas BBQ roadtrip, check out http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/ for a great BBQ "roadmap" of the whole state.

My brother brought me a bottle of sauce from The Salt Lick and I could not even finish the bottle. I just think I dont like that style of sauce.

Back