MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Question about KCBS Toy

Hey Linda or Merl since TOY is being tracked by member number does that mean it doesn't matter what team name I compete under as long as I use my member number to register for the event ?

Sometimes I compete as I Smell Smoke and sometimes I compete as Team Agave. Does this mean I can now combine the scores from both teams ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I do not have the definitive answer, but we discussed teams like:
Buffalo
Twin Oak
and
Boys from Tornado alley.
There the Boys would be required to have an additional number.

So I guess the question would be is there a difference between I Smell Smoke and Team Agave. Clearly Donny and Bart would have to have a separate number. What is the difference in your teams?

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The difference is the cast of characters I cook with. I Smell Smoke is a team that's been cooking together for over 10 years. Team Agave was born when there were events that ISS could not attend. Team Agave is normally me and my father but occasionally a member from another NEBS team will join me.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
So I guess the question would be is there a difference between I Smell Smoke and Team Agave.

My guess would be probably about another 3 bottle of Agave and throw in a couple of bottles of Jack... And that isn't even counting the groupies...

I do have an interest in this as well. As Dr. Porkenstein and myself compete together and had plans of doing it this year as well...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I would say it isnt really tracked by member number if the team name matters :)

In my case... (and Steve's it would appear) I cook as HoDeDo's on occasion, and as Smoke on Wheels... In both cases I am the head cook. If the scoring is actually by my member number, why would the team name matter?

It is interesting for me, as I was going to fly an HDD banner, but always enter as Smoke on Wheels this year.... since I had at least 1 RGC, and several other calls under HDD. Would have been nice to have those roll all towards my TOY for 2008.

If it really will be by member #, that would be great.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

The IT/Geek solution is fairly simple. A head cook would use his/her KCBS number when cooking with his primary/registered team. When cooking with an alternate team/name as head cook he/she would use their KCBS number+A. The code to handle that, as well as to verify that a substantially similar name was always associated with the proper KCBS number, would be quite basic and shouldn't be a problem to add.

That's the IT/Geek point of view. I've got no idea what the BoD has in mind.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
The IT/Geek solution is fairly simple. A head cook would use his/her KCBS number when cooking with his primary/registered team. When cooking with an alternate team/name as head cook he/she would use their KCBS number+A. The code to handle that, as well as to verify that a substantially similar name was always associated with the proper KCBS number, would be quite basic and shouldn't be a problem to add.

That's the IT/Geek point of view. I've got no idea what the BoD has in mind.
Semantics... but it does come down to if you view team=head cook.
IF not, you have Cook of the year, not Team of the year award. Interesting stuff to be sure.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Come on Merl the board must have put some thought into this stuff before deciding to use member numbers to track TOY. Right ?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a thought...require each team to register and get a team number. Charge a nominal fee and use that revenue to offset the technology cost involved in tracking the teams. It's really not complicated. Judges have numbers, members have numbers, why not give teams their own numbers too?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Or as a member, you get one team number free. Addtional team names cost a nominal fee. But if someone cares that much about their ranking as TOY, why would they cook under multiple team names?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Steve you know better than that. Plan and prepare??? That would require a lot of though in advance. Just kidding.

We did discuss that a combined team could obtain an additional number. We have not discussed your issue, where you desire two team names to apply to a single number.

Speaking only for myself, if the head cook is the same and present, it probably should be ok. I will put this on the agenda.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Or as a member, you get one team number free. Addtional team names cost a nominal fee. But if someone cares that much about their ranking as TOY, why would they cook under multiple team names?
The reason I cook under different names is I feel it would be disrespectful for me to compete as I Smell Smoke if none of the other team members were there. All that we have accomplished we have accomplished together as a team. But that's just me.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
The reason I cook under different names is I feel it would be disrespectful for me to compete as I Smell Smoke if none of the other team members were there. All that we have accomplished we have accomplished together as a team. But that's just me.
Similar issue for me... The HoDeDos were cooking contests before there was a KCBS... I'm the second generation. So When the crew is together we cook as HoDeDos. Lots of history there, and a little different attitude/atmosphere than when I am out with the family as Smoke on Wheels. They don't cook nearly as much as they used to and I needed a way to cook more. Same thought process Steve. I don't think it is fair to cook under the HDD name when I'm not with them... and over the last several years, we've built a whole new set of memories/history as smoke on wheels. So I wouldnt give that up either...

honestly, I dont care what they use to track things - just so long as I know the rules I have to live by. I've made it the last several years splitting amongst multiple names, so its all good to me either way. It would be kinda cool to have it all roll up under one member number though.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Isn't this to recognize the TEAM of the year?

Playing devil's advocate here:
If we want to break it down to cook of the year, then wouldn't we need to know who cooked what at each event regardless of which team name they under OR even what team they were on?

Unless the cook (whose number is provided) is the one cooking each catagory for all teams they are participating on ... I don't see why that individual should be able to collect the points under different team names.

I just see a whole big can of worms being created instead of solved. Say someone who cooks under 3 different team names was to win TOY ... Which team does KCBS list as the winner?

Edit: I don't mean to insinuate that the people in this discussion are benefiting from cooking on multiple teams, but it's highly likely that others out there would.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I see your point. But to play devils advocate. You could use it by Team name. then how do you reward someone that let's say cooks as BBQ Brethren? There is a California chapter, a Florida Chapter and a Mofo Chapter, et al..... With multiple different head cooks?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote