• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

22.5 OTG Fix up. Before and After pics...

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Scored this guy a few weeks ago on CL for $40. Was used twice but was badly mistreated. Lots of dirt and grime in the bottom of the kettle but nothing a good power wash with some Dawn wouldn't fix.

Original thread is here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156597

Before...

IMG_20130406_121743_495_zps063eaf49.jpg

After...

IMG_20130406_131806_267_zps84715b43.jpg

IMG_20130406_132746_382_zpscda3fa03.jpg

Outside cleaned up really nice. Inside still needs a little elbow grease with a scour pad and some dish soap but it cleaned up a lot better than I thought it would. The grates a pretty much shot so I'm just gonna buy a new set.

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. You have to wonder how someone can trash a cooking grate that fast. :mmph:

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. You have to wonder how someone can trash a cooking grate that fast. :mmph:

Tell me about it. The kettle is a DI marked model. They used it twice between between 2007 and 2013 and whoever used it last left a ton of charred pieces of grease and gunk. Apparently they could fork the money for the OTG model but not the money for a grill brush. The grate is 95% rusted and part of it is flaking off pieces of it. The charcoal grate is rusted completely but isn't flaking so I might rehab it a bit and keep it.

Since you're replacing the grates anyway, you should get the Weber Gourmet system

I've been thinking about it. I might do the full cast iron grate instead. I'm selling some ham radio gear next weekend so I'll have about $100 I can spend. I might buy a standard hinged grate and then spend the leftovers on some new Lodge cast iron. Haven't quite made up my mind yet..

Looks great! I went wit the standard hinged grates when I had to replace mine last summer and haven't regretted it once. Granted, I have always wanted the cast iron ones, but I haven't lost any sleep at all over it.

I did just pick up an Akorn recently that has CI grates. They are not as easy to keep clean as you might think, but I just get in there and clean 'em up any way with some little brushes, and religiously oil them. This makes me wonder if I had two kettles side by side, one CI and the other not, which one would be my go to unit. I have more than one kettle, so I assure you this will be tested at some point, but for now I really see no reason to feel lacking in any way over the standard hinged grate on a kettle, whatsoever.:thumb:

FYI to both the OP and bigabyte. I saw that the Cabela's here in KC carries the Stok CI grates now with a bunch of the inserts. Not sure if STL would have them (you have a Cabela's don't you?) but it is worth checking out. I don't use it as much as I should but the inserts can be handy and the CI is a nice touch too.

Thanks! I will be picking some up then. I am heading out to Cabela's sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow, time permitting) to pick up a camp stove and griddles I ordered, so as long as the CI grates aren't outrageously overpriced they are as good as already sold!:thumb:

Damn colonel...first you sold me on going to Price Chopper for Pork Butts...now this.

You should make your own shopping channel for me to follow or something.:becky:

No problem. PM me with the stove you want. I might have a hook up.

Thanks! I will be picking some up then. I am heading out to Cabela's sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow, time permitting) to pick up a camp stove and griddles I ordered, so as long as the CI grates aren't outrageously overpriced they are as good as already sold!:thumb:

Damn colonel...first you sold me on going to Price Chopper for Pork Butts...now this.

You should make your own shopping channel for me to follow or something.:becky:

Looks like $50 for the grate. I did see that they now have a dutch oven type kettle as an insert now too which is kinda cool.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STOK...cts&Ntt=stok&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

s7_550889_007_01

Well, I picked up the stove today, but the wife and kids were in tow and I was forbidden from shopping. Honestly, I just wanted to get out and go home too, it was a pretty long day day with lots of screaming kids...not the way I want to spend shopping for this sorta stuff.

So.....

I guess I get to go back some other day!:becky:

Back