MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340808457.372220.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340808556.816724.jpg
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

I am not knocking the construction, they are REALLY nice. I am just saying they run like ****. I have done a plethora of mods to try and keep mine stable, I even have all the stoker graphs to prove it.... Oh yea my door thermometer is off 25f too.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I planning on doing 2 pork butts on friday and 10 racks on Saturday for a party I am having and I gotta say that with temp forecasted to be in the mid 90's I am not looking forward to babysitting and trying to keep the temps in check. Hopefully I can figure something out.
WhiskeyPigBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
ATXBBQ
Got Wood.

I had a vault....they are built really well. They are, however, not the greatest choice for low and slow. Even with a full pan and vents closed my vault would run well over 250. The door thermo on mine was also off around thirty to forty degrees.
ATXBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

My immediate thought would be how many lit coals did you start with? Are you using the "Minion Method" ??
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #21
Hozman
Take a breath!

Our comp team has a new one (3-4 months old) you have to use water. We run digiQ and even then it would run away. Also close valve to where it is barley open on fan. Our goes through a lot of fuel and boiled the water off like crazy. We had a 1/4" piece of steel cut to pl;ace between water pan and fire box which has helped a ton. Also had a deeper firebox made with a maze system and that has helped with fuel consumption. With the above things done we can run 230 all day long.

Couple other things we do is preheat the cooking chamber with weed burner so digi dont work so hard to get to temp. Also looking at your pic, you have a roof on your porch? beware that with water you will get a lot of steam/grease accumulate on your roof and will have to wash it after use.

I was not impressed with pitmaker at all on the process the main guy went through getting the safe. Poor communication and for the price no wway you should have to do any mods to get it to work right. I would never buy one after what I have seen with the one we have now.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Kind of sound like an air leak somewhere to me.

I don't see any mention of trying to run it without the draft controller either. That is possible to do isn't it?

If you can get it running nice without the controller, than by process of elimination....

If it still runs too hot, might be a leak around the intake like is mentioned above.

IMO, you shouldn't "need" water in the pan to keep the temps down. It's about too much O2 getting to the coals.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok correct me if I am wrong but if you can choke the fire out by shutting eveyrthing down then you should be able to control your temp? I mean on my WSM if it gets to hot I just cut back on the air intake to bring it under control. I am only wondering because I am about to buy either a Stumps or a Pitmaster.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #24
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Ok correct me if I am wrong but if you can choke the fire out by shutting eveyrthing down then you should be able to control your temp? I mean on my WSM if it gets to hot I just cut back on the air intake to bring it under control. I am only wondering because I am about to buy either a Stumps or a Pitmaster.
One would think that is the way to get it to come down, but everything is closed off with only a 1/4 inch open on my guru slide.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Our comp team has a new one (3-4 months old) you have to use water. We run digiQ and even then it would run away. Also close valve to where it is barley open on fan. Our goes through a lot of fuel and boiled the water off like crazy. We had a 1/4" piece of steel cut to pl;ace between water pan and fire box which has helped a ton. Also had a deeper firebox made with a maze system and that has helped with fuel consumption. With the above things done we can run 230 all day long.

Couple other things we do is preheat the cooking chamber with weed burner so digi dont work so hard to get to temp. Also looking at your pic, you have a roof on your porch? beware that with water you will get a lot of steam/grease accumulate on your roof and will have to wash it after use.

I was not impressed with pitmaker at all on the process the main guy went through getting the safe. Poor communication and for the price no wway you should have to do any mods to get it to work right. I would never buy one after what I have seen with the one we have now.
Any chance you could send me some pics of your mods to the fire box? You are right for what this thing cost we shouldnt be dealing with mods to get it to operate at a reasonable temp.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

Might be far off here.. but if youve got her really shut down and its still runnning away either y'all have rocket fuel firewood or there is a air leak. Is it possible to seal up the exhaust with plastic bag n tape then blow low pressure/high volume air from a vac cleaner in the inlet. Go around all the doors n welds with a paintbrush n bubble mix of watered down detergent splashing it everywhere to see if'n it blows great big bubbles from somewhere. Hey presto y'all found yer extra air inlet hole, just gum it up with JB weld and see if the heat is more controlable without any extra air coming in.

What about a fat/dripping drain to the outside.. maybe its cocked open?

Muzza.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you tried a cook without the guru. It could be the source of your problems.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Have you tried a cook without the guru. It could be the source of your problems.

I have tried shutting down the Guru and the temp still rose. I am cooking a couple of shoulders tomorrow and I am only going to use a chimney of lump and use some heat tape to make sure the inlet is sealed tight. If that doesnt work it looks like I will have to fab a new charcoal basket and see if that will help.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Interesting post. I guess it goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover, because by looks one would think the vault would hold temperature awesomely.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to agree it is interesting to me also. I was about to pull the trigger on the Pitmaker safe. Im waiting to see the outcome to this thread.