MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Oval Pan Chicken?

Anyone ever though about trying this for comp style chicken?

id would be different than cupcake chicken and would actually look like chicken thighs to a point compared to Round balls!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

If I was going to use a pan I would use the rectangular muffing pan. Having said that, I can get great thigh shapes with proper trimming and no pan.

Maybe you should try the sunflower shape:

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Kiss my @ss haha teamfour im just not coordinated enough to get them the same shape
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country BBQ View Post
Kiss my @ss haha teamfour im just not coordinated enough to get them the same shape

Seriously, the amount of time you will spend trimming the chicken to fit in the pan is probably the same it will take to trim the thighs without using a pan. I always cook at least 12 thighs; that way six are more than likely going to be similar in size and shape.

Just remove one knuckle on the bone, trim the meat to be rectangular and the skin to be rectangular but a little larger than the meat. Wrap into a little pillow shape. If you put the thighs in a half-pan four across, they will be wedged in and will retain the pillow shape during cooking. When you flip them, they will still wedge together and retain the shape. Once it is time to color us and sauce, the thighs will be permanently in pillow shape. Practice a few times, it will come easy and it only takes me about 5 minutes per thigh.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I appreciate that
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post

Seriously, the amount of time you will spend trimming the chicken to fit in the pan is probably the same it will take to trim the thighs without using a pan. I always cook at least 12 thighs; that way six are more than likely going to be similar in size and shape.

Just remove one knuckle on the bone, trim the meat to be rectangular and the skin to be rectangular but a little larger than the meat. Wrap into a little pillow shape. If you put the thighs in a half-pan four across, they will be wedged in and will retain the pillow shape during cooking. When you flip them, they will still wedge together and retain the shape. Once it is time to color us and sauce, the thighs will be permanently in pillow shape. Practice a few times, it will come easy and it only takes me about 5 minutes per thigh.
Way to go Teamfour! Way too many people make claims like not needing mold pans or other issues that cooks struggle with and then leave everyone to wonder what the heck it is that they are doing. You stepped up to the plate and I commend you gor it.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Is there an easy way to remove the knuckle without shattering the bone and ending up with little bone shards mixed in?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

For about 13.00 bucks it would not hurt to give the mold a try. We started using molds last year because of all the crazy sizes of thighs. We would find at least 3 different sizes in one pack. The mold helps us make the thighs the same size - at least mostof them. Some are just way too small or chewed up.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
Is there an easy way to remove the knuckle without shattering the bone and ending up with little bone shards mixed in?
Either a good pair of shears or a sharp cleaver. I'm not good enough with a knife to get get it right, but one good whack with a cleaver will take the knuckle off and trim the whole edge square all at the same time.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote