BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

Fired up thrill grates to get some chicken grilled. Seasoned with salt ancho and chipotle powder. This is a my attempt at a famous pizza place in Austin called frank & Angie's. Chipotle chicken and bananna pepper pizza with blush sauce.
Fired up my pizza pit, aka traeger with ceramic tile
Picked up a premade artisan crust, made the blush sauce with a mixture of garlic Alfredo and tomato basil sauce. Roasted the bell pepper and cherry tomatoes after I grilled the chicken. Chopped up chicken really fine and built the pizza. Cooked on the traeger for 20 min, then put in the oven broiler for 2 min to get that cheese lookin mighty fine. Topped with fresh basil.
4a597f72.jpg

63bbd691.jpg

One for the family, they don't like all the veggies
ad32700e.jpg

And one for me and heather.
I would like to use this pizza for the thrown entry
Chipotle chicken and bananna pepper pizza with blush sauce
b24d25bd.jpg

That chicken looks wonderful. How did you crust bottom turn out? Oh, and please pass a plate here. Thanks

I was laughing my a+++ss off with the mental image of you both smacking his head to put the fire :mad2: out!!! :mod::mod: LOL Great looking cook, you guys saved the day! :thumb:

Man. This one's getting brutal. Do I even enter?

Does anybody know the record for TD entries and votes?

Oh lawdy. That would be last years "Noobians vs Veterans" Throwdown with the Monkey Poll fiasco. It was a lot. I can't count that high though. Neither can the forum software, thus why we used that monkey poll. The monkey poll left a really bad taste in our mouths though, so I am kind of hoping we don't have to do that again!

Does anybody know the record for TD entries and votes?

Oh lawdy. That would be last years "Noobians vs Veterans" Throwdown with the Monkey Poll fiasco. It was a lot. I can't count that high though. Neither can the forum software, thus why we used that monkey poll. The monkey poll left a really bad taste in our mouths though, so I am kind of hoping we don't have to do that again!

That was a special TD with multiple entries allowed, for a regular TD the winner is the Burger TD. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131334

This is my official entry into the "Pizza" TD.

Please accept my official entry titled "This Canuck's Gluten Free Red and White Pizza with Fennel, Blood Orange and Apple Salad".

It's been a while since I made my gluten free thin crust pizza so this TD gave me a great opportunity to make it again. I did the smoke for the "Nuts" TD the night before and had the brilliant idea to throw the ingredients for the tomato sauce into my kamado as it was cooling down. First thing the next morning I took it out and it tasted fabulous. Made fettucini for lunch just to get into that rich, red deliciousness sooner, ate too much and gave myself heartburn. It was worth it, though. I've often thought it would be a good idea to harness the wasted heat after a cook -- this first one is a go! The herbs used in the sauce are greek oregano and bay leaf.

P1010468_zps2a6912bf.jpg

P1010490_zpsaea66045.jpg

I also wanted to lighten up the rich flavours of the pizza with a fresh salad. Happened to have fresh anise and blood oranges in the fridge and we always have apples. Went surfing and found some ideas. Here are my ingredients. By the time I made the dressing I decided to use fresh squeezed lemon instead of the white wine vinegar.

P1010492_zpse72bb368.jpg

These photos of blood oranges were taken with Brother Buccs in mind. The photos show two oranges with identical colour on the outside skin yet very different colours within.

P1010495_zpsf170d5c7.jpg

P1010499_zps87858931.jpg

Soaked one orange in veggie wash and zested it into the salad. You can see where the 'blood' of the orange dripped onto the counter. These blood oranges were more difficult to free from their segments than regular oranges so I tried two different ways. The second way was easier and faster (cutting the orange in half, freeing the core and popping out the half segments.

P1010496_zps4ea3e2c3.jpg

Fennel washed, trimmed and roughly chopped. Left cutting the apple and dressing the salad to just before eating.

P1010503_zps7ce57fc0.jpg

This is the gluten cookbook I got the recipe from -- called Pat's Thin Crust Pizza. We've bought two of her books for 'from scratch' cooking and so far the recipes have been good. She has more books, some of which use a lot of 'not from scratch' ingredients, so there's a variety to meet the needs of many GF cooks.

P1010509_zps8dfd22f9.jpg

I'm including this picture of the potato flour and potato starch. I've seen some confusing signage in bulk stores where I buy it. Potato flour has a pinky-brown colour similar to the colour of a cut fresh potato that is left to oxidize. Potato starch is often called potato starch flour and it is pure white and a little 'squeaky' like corn starch.

P1010505_zps29d7ea74.jpg

I put my yeast in with the dry ingredients as opposed to the recipe that proofs the yeast in warm water before adding to the dry ingredients. I've done it both ways and don't see a difference. The volume doubled in about 30 - 40 minutes.

P1010510_zps39dc247c.jpg

You will know the 'dough' is right when it looks like frosting. I had a lot of trouble shaping it into a pizza, couldn't remember how I did it the last time. First, make sure you line the pan with parchment paper before putting the dough on. I got nowhere with the silicone spatula and finally put a sheet of wax paper on the dough and pushed it into place with my hands. It helps if you distribute the dough in different spots on the pan when you first turn it out of its bowl. I finally got a glass and rolled it around to smooth the last of it. Try not to have the wax paper on more than you have to, as it takes in moisture the dough will stick to it. Gluten free doughs are really sticky stuff.

P1010512_zpsa62a1b9a.jpg

P1010515_zpsf8f2c48a.jpg

P1010519_zps9656275f.jpg

I decided to buy my mozzarella in an Italian specialty grocery store. It was expensive but really, really good. I've only had as good or better in a carprese salad in a posh restaurant.

P1010524_zps110eff04.jpg

My red and white ingredients are double smoked Hungarian sausage, white onions sauteed in the fat rendered from the sausage, white mushrooms, red peppers, smoked red tomato sauce and white mozzarella. I fried each ingredient separately to get the right amount of caramelization for each.

P1010528_zps26345eb7.jpg

A nice spread on the pizza crust. I prebaked the pizza crust about 13 minutes in the kamado and then pulled it out to add toppings.

P1010529_zps1b90ab45.jpg

P1010531_zps099bd66a.jpg

Pizza's in the smoker and it's time to finish the salad. Added the chopped apple, olive oil, a touch of dead sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh squeezed lemon.

P1010534_zpsa3dac2d2.jpg

P1010536_zps3549df84.jpg

Look what's in Dragona's fiery belly!

P1010540_zpsa6882649.jpg

Finished pizza.

P1010542_zpsddc22f73.jpg

Please use the photo below for voting.

P1010553_zpsee50bf4d.jpg

And the finished fennel, blood orange and Ida Red apple salad.

P1010561_zps8092cf14.jpg

This was a really delicious pizza. It was very rich and flavourful and the fresh fennel salad and its acidity complemented it well.

Thanks for looking!

Kathy.......that did it, That did it.......I ready for bed and then I read this post.......I must call the Pizza delivery guy..............Oh My........:eusa_clap

I can already tell this is going to be an epic vote thread!:shock:

That looks delicious!

I wish I could get blood oranges here. I haven't had one since we moved out here from SoCal.

Dave

Humbled Offical Entry.

I really had good intentions on using the spares for a pie the next day to really make it BBQ; however, that did not happen.
So here is my entry, it does feature, basil pesto/EVOO sauce, home made Italian sausage (CI/WFO) par baked, roasted fennel, sliced Roma tomatoes and parmigiano reggiano (DOP).
Enjoy!
The "build" Thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155245

Thanks and good luck to all!

Attachments

• IMG_20130303_172844_865.jpg
    IMG_20130303_172844_865.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 121
Nice pizza pie you got there Thermal Mass. just driving by the Hwy 60 exit, maybe I get off and drive east for leftovers... I have never tried fresh fennel. How does this add to the pizza flavor?

Back