MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #61
nic
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
I thought it was the Crock pot/liquid smoke. Dang.
I completely agree. Its shocking how many restaurants that really should know better get on TV and try to pass that off as BBQ.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #62
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Aaaaaand BACON! You gotta have a temp probe for bacon

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #63
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

LOL aussie LOL

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #64
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default O.K. Funky Brother..................................;}-

You'll remember me as BBQFANS, having read your threads and as oldschoolbbq ranting about keeping the lid closed,and leaving it closed! I don't profess to be a professional nor do I think my way is best...just that when I Smoke , I do it like the old Black men did when I was young.
You'll know what I'm saying(Funky),get down and ready to cook,and get a hold on your equipment(know it).
Put your meat in their 'sauna' and let them go.Keep them happy by leaving them alone!
When I do a lot of meat at one time,I do like kinds, in the heat they need to be and shut my trap.There's no-one inthere that's gonna steal it, and any Critter wanting "Que" that bad;might be good eats himself!
Point-put meat in the Smoker and LEAVE IT ALONE. Why?
Here's the reason: You create your heat,getting it to cooking temp. and add the meat. Then 10min. later you think,I better check it...WHY?
As you cook, there is a little Atmosphere created in the cooking chamber. This is caused by the heat from your source,which causes pressure(basic Physics),this then heats the meat and the pressure keeps moisture in,that which does come out of the meat , evaporates on the metal of your cooker creating a moist atmosphere.Left alone, the pressures will equal and the moisture in the meat will remain intact.
Also by leaving your lid shut,you get a better Bark and the point will almost fall off the Flat.
Keep doing what you are doing and have fun...

SZtan aka oldschoolbbq

Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #65
Qcrazed
Knows what a fatty is.

now that was a great read frm beginnging to end. rookie myself i totally agree. temp time is ONLY an indicator. some only read what they want then can'nt understand why their stuff was not so good. trial and error is a very good teacher specially when it costs u dollars. some are skilled enough to know by smell noise it makes look. till i get that down my go to is probe melted butta it should b good 2 go. and everything is diff frm ribs shrink factor bend to briskies and shoulders probe. no set time or temp
Qcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #66
Porkchop
Found some matches.

Mrs Porkchop just casually inquired what I'm reading and I reactively answered "an interesting discussion about how these guys probe their butts" ...I may have some 'splaining to do.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolbbq View Post

As you cook, there is a little Atmosphere created in the cooking chamber. This is caused by the heat from your source,which causes pressure(basic Physics),this then heats the meat and the pressure keeps moisture in,that which does come out of the meat , evaporates on the metal of your cooker creating a moist atmosphere.Left alone, the pressures will equal and the moisture in the meat will remain intact.
Also by leaving your lid shut,you get a better Bark and the point will almost fall off the Flat.
Keep doing what you are doing and have fun...

SZtan aka oldschoolbbq
Good thought. thanks for adding to the discussion buddy!

Edict.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #68
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Bluedawg!!!!!!

Edict.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #69
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

I for one think the temp probes have made me a better cook. It gives me an IDEA of how close I am. In things like turkey and chicken, knowing the 160-165 breast temp is the difference between good and cardboard. And for brisket....well when it starts getting to 195iish....I start Probing and “squeezing”....first 3 briskets I ever did were on point

Old 07-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #70
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

I use to live and die by the internal temp probe. Now I just live and die by my thermapen. Maybe when I'm an old man I'll just look at it. Then die......
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #71
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it is funny to see people put a probe in a steak my grandkids can tell when a steak is done it's really not that difficult
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #72
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmajordude View Post
I for one think the temp probes have made me a better cook. It gives me an IDEA of how close I am. In things like turkey and chicken, knowing the 160-165 breast temp is the difference between good and cardboard. And for brisket....well when it starts getting to 195iish....I start Probing and “squeezing”....first 3 briskets I ever did were on point
On point by your standards, right? That is my point. If you cooked the brisket I had last week (that was cooked with 19 others) you would have overlooked it waiting to 195.

Edict.