MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Temperature probe w/ rotisserie

Has anyone figured out how to use a temperature probe while using a rotisserie? I'd like to monitor the cooking without having to stop and check it...all the while hoping I don't overshoot my target doneness.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Butts-n-gutts
Full Fledged Farker

Maverick makes one where the transmitter attaches to the rotiserie and turns with it, the wire has clamps to keep it neat and turning with the rotiserie.

I ahve never used one but maverick is a brand that I would trust
Butts-n-gutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
WeberQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Just an idea

You might be able to make one with a contact plate with tracks and pick up brushes ?
WeberQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberQ View Post
You might be able to make one with a contact plate with tracks and pick up brushes ?
That crossed my mind...but sounds like work.

I see online some folks simply run a probe wire thru a collar to an outside sending unit, but the new Weber rotisserie I just got has no collar for the spit to ride in...it simply rotates in grooves on the spit and it rests directly on the ring, which of course creates a pinch-point.

** Just answered my own question....BRAIN FART! **
** Use the collar that comes with the probe on my spit INSTEAD of letting it "ride in the groove". DUH! **

Does anyone sell just the collar? To use with my ET-7?

Last edited by SmokeWatcher; 11-15-2009 at 08:12 AM..
SmokeWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I suppose a stick-and-stay therm would work in a big roast or turkey breast.... but consider that the rotisserie rod conducts heat and carries it into the meat (much like a potato nail works), so placement of the thermometer is critical.... for accuracy, not too close to the center and not too close to an edge.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Maverick ET-75 from Amazon. I hope to use it on a smoked turkey breast my MIL wants the Thanksgiving. I plan to treat it to a brine and twirl it!

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Indus...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
NorthwestBBQ

Good luck! Let us know how it works and please post pics.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
Bigdog

Call me crazy but I never use a thermo when doing a roto chicken. I just wiggle the wing to tell when its done.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
CH
Found some matches.

If your cooking chicken or turkey I use one of those pop ups that show you when it's done and they come out juicy.
CH is offline   Reply With Quote