What the Heck is 4.2?

S

SmokeInDaEye

I know I saw it once somewhere but what does "4.2 and down" mean on packages of untrimmed spare ribs? It's not a weight thing like shrimp (ie 20 count shrimp are 20 shrimp to the pound) but something about number of bones or bone length or the portion of the rib cage it comes from?

Oh really? So do they sell 4.2 and up? And why the .2?

I'm guessing it read 4.5 meaning 4 1/2 lbs or less per rack. As far as i know, thats as big as they come.

I have seen at one meat wholesaler say 4 and down 5 and down and :eek: 6 and down refers to the weight. Same here with beer! You have 3.2 beer which cant have more than 3.2% alcohol. Now here is the kicker 5% beer cant have any more than 5 % alcohol. So a beer that is 3.3% alcohol is sold as 5%. Go figure.

It's the weight. 3.5 and down usually means BB's. 4.5 could be loin backs or spares. Anything bigger is usually spares. At least this is my understanding.

Chuck

My understanding is that ribs under 3lbs are better tastin or more tender or something or other. I assume it has to do with the age of the pig. So packs of 3 downs are better ribs. Those must be called 4.2 downs.

Within one of the BBQ books that I have exists an explanation for this quandry. Now to figure out which book has the explanation:frown:

Back