MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
RedRyderBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Suggestions for a good pit temperature probe?

Hey,

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a thermometer that just measures the pit temperature? I already have one with a food probe, don't need the 2 in 1 like the maverick.

Thanks
RedRyderBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

Are you looking for a remote type of temp reading on the pit? I've got 2 Maverick's (ET72 and ET732). Comes in handy when you're smoking two different pieces of meat and you have the probe for the pit temp and can monitor remotely.

My recommendation is to get a ET732. Otherwise, you can get a dial type, but you'll have to open the lid to check the temp.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
RedRyderBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
Are you looking for a remote type of temp reading on the pit? I've got 2 Maverick's (ET72 and ET732). Comes in handy when you're smoking two different pieces of meat and you have the probe for the pit temp and can monitor remotely.

My recommendation is to get a ET732. Otherwise, you can get a dial type, but you'll have to open the lid to check the temp.
I have an iQue110 and want a pit thermo to check to see if my pit is being kept at what the ique is set for. The dial on my wsm is off by 30 degrees from what the ique says it is at. So i was wondering if there was a dedicated pit probe thermometer around rather than something like the maverick which does both meat and pit temp for $60

Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyderBBQ View Post
The dial on my wsm is off by 30 degrees from what the ique says it is at.

Not sure if you were aware of this but most dial thermometers are adjustable. There is a small nut on the back of the dial that can be turned in either direction to adjust it. Boil a pot of water and let it sit for about 5 min. If its not at 212 degrees adjust it. 212 degrees is the peak temperature for water. Its also worth noting that there could be a difference in temperature from your cooking area and where your thermometer takes it reading. 30 degrees difference seems like a lot though.
redneck allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck allstar View Post
212 degrees is the peak temperature for water.
Doesn't water boil at a lower temperature if you go up in altitude? (like Denver)

Just wondering, I think everyone in this thread is relatively low in altitude, but I know my old man has to adjust recipes due to altitude (he lives in W. Colorado).

Great point about the thermo adjustment though...might have to check the one on my UDS.

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I like the ET 732, Steve at 5-0 BBQ has them.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalon View Post
Doesn't water boil at a lower temperature if you go up in altitude? (like Denver)

Just wondering, I think everyone in this thread is relatively low in altitude, but I know my old man has to adjust recipes due to altitude (he lives in W. Colorado).

Great point about the thermo adjustment though...might have to check the one on my UDS.

Jalon
Good point!

Yes it does. 212 degrees is at sea level. Im not sure how much it varies upon elevation. I believe that boiling temp goes down the higher in elevation you go. It goes up the lower you go.

Last edited by redneck allstar; 08-07-2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: wrong info
redneck allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
RedRyderBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

thats a great idea, after my pork shoulder is done smoking I will have to check that out

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck allstar View Post
Good point!

Yes it does. 212 degrees is at sea level. Im not sure how much it varies upon elevation. I believe that boiling temp goes down the higher in elevation you go. It goes up the lower you go.
A quick google search with "your Town" and Water boiling temp will give you a tempeture of water at any given place.

Example:

620 feet (Chicago's elevation), it boils at 211
degrees; but 1,450 feet up (the top of Sears Tower), at 208 degrees; in Denver, 202 degrees.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use the Nu-temp stuck down the exhuast pipe to the middle of pit and run through a potato. Mine has 3 channels so one is the pit and the other 2 go into the big meats.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote