MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Default The Clock and the Temperature Probe

The Clock and the Temp Probe.....

Has ruined more BBQ than anything in the last decade.

Now if you use them with expertise then good for you but you are not in the majority.

Then there's all the ones that THINK they make good Q (either from never eating any good q at a pagent or a local place or simply because they have a warped sense of what good q is) and THUS also use probes and clocks in complete denial they are ****ing their q.

The two things have ruined in my opinion maybe 1/3 of the world's Brisket supply alone.

I used to say the Internet has ruined it but while bad info (or too much conflicting good info) has ruined a lot of BBQ,, this forum has proven to give a valuable alignment to the myths and bad practices of bad Q. Kind of like Mental Retardation is on the down slide while Autism is on the up. In other words we do it right and all the others **** it up... the worse internet contributors being so called "chefs" writing for recipe.com sites.

Now discuss.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
smoken don
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Now if you use them with expertise then good for you but you are not in the majority.

Then there's all the ones that THINK they make good Q (either from never eating any good q at a pagent or a local place or simply because they have a warped sense of what good q is) and THUS also use probes and clocks in complete denial they are ****ing their q.

The two things have ruined in my opinion maybe 1/3 of the world's Brisket supply alone.

I used to say the Internet has ruined it but while bad info (or too much conflicting good info) has ruined a lot of BBQ,, this forum has proven to give a valuable alignment to the myths and bad practices of bad Q. Kind of like Mental Retardation is on the down slide while Autism is on the up. In other words we do it right and all the others **** it up... the worse internet contributors being so called "chefs" writing for recipe.com sites.

Now discuss.

AMEN!
uds and proud of it
Never confuse kindness for weakness
smoken don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

When I first started doing the low and slow, I knew nothing. Good food bad food. I was cooking with a cheap propane vertical thing. As I moved along got a cheap offset and became all crazed with thermometers and fixating on grate temperature side to side in the chamber. Gigantic differences. Remote thermometers. Probes through blocks of wood taking up more space on the grate than the meat did. There was no joy. Started to mellow over time and now pay attention to pit temps with just 1 thermo in the top or side depending on what I'm using. Best Brisket EVER was one done on the offset. No thermo in the meat. No flipping. No foil. No clock, even though I was never a slave to one. I probed it Funk Style and it was one of the most rewarding and relaxing cooks I've had. Thanks Donnie.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

u can always use biscuits to test your grate temps. If I have to cook on a pit I do not know, I try to get 250 and set out three cans of bisquits and look at where and how each bisquit cooks.

Of course, sadly even that is bad. My brazos full of brisket or full of butts behaves totally different.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

These may come in 3rd, 4th & 5th in the voting

not necessarily for what they do to the food but for their synergistic impact on the cooking process in conjunction with The Clock & The Temp probe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spr.jpg (18.9 KB, 1075 views)
File Type: jpg mop.jpg (58.8 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg silicone_basting_brush.jpg (11.9 KB, 1072 views)
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I was not going to step into that dooky until June 7th, Vinny but I agree.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Temp probe for meat? Or for the Smoker? I assume Meat since you mention smoker temp.

I thought it was the Crock pot/liquid smoke. Dang.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Willie's BBQ
Banned

Quote:

Now discuss.
was this really needed?????? why not let people do what they want????? sorry myron, didnt mean to interupt your rant
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

IMHO the clock and the temp probe have their place in the process, but only as indicators or reminders of when to do other things. I like to know when my butts hit a certain temp so I can probe them. I can stick a remote probe in when I put them in the drum and I don't have to open it up and get a temp swing just to check it. Overall though it ain't about time or temp, its all about feel.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post

was this really needed?????? why not let people do what they want????? sorry myron, didnt mean to interupt your rant
LOL, LMAO, ROFL. You haven;t been here long enough to see me "rant."

Furthermore, it has long been a pain for many a member to see a thread like this...

Subject:Brisket Help Needed

Dear Brethren

Today i did my first brisket blah blah blah, after blah blah blahing it and blahin it until it blah blahed... i then blahed it until it blahed twice. I then injected it with sweet loving blah when no one was looking. My blahs are tingly and I am walking funny and feel empty deep in my blahs from blahing my meat so much. i let it blah for three weeks then cooked it 20 minutes per pound blah blah blah at precisely blah blah temp. what went wrong blah sniff, blah blah. I checked the temp 56 consecutive times and it was not done at the precise temp of blah, blah blah. After 12 hours i finally gave up. Its a piece of crap. what can I do?

Many of you more experienced blahers say not to probe it or look at it too much... so I cut it down to just checking every 15 minutes--- you know, when I am already blahing it anyway with a mixture of blah just like Bobby Blah does or one of Paula Deens Gay assed sons do.

Internal Temp at 7 - 122
Internal Temp at 7:15 - 122
Internal Temp at 7:30 - 122.43
Internal Temp at 7:45 - 122.5
Internal Temp at 8:00 - 123
Internal Temp at 8:15 - 123.21223
Internal Temp at 8:30 - 121
Internal Temp at 8:45 - 120
Internal Temp at 9:00 - 121
Internal Temp at 9:15 - 122

I think you are right. Let's all just cook like we want... no more questionbs or advice from experts... let's now make this forum pron only... nope, we would learn from that too.

Please, do NOT insult Myron by comparing him to me. You should try talking to him one day.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
IMHO the clock and the temp probe have their place in the process, but only as indicators or reminders of when to do other things. I like to know when my butts hit a certain temp so I can probe them. I can stick a remote probe in when I put them in the drum and I don't have to open it up and get a temp swing just to check it. Overall though it ain't about time or temp, its all about feel.
Thanks... I was depending on a post more like this - good job.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
MilitantSquatter

Mod Note : Thread scrubbed...This is fair Q-talk discussion topic if remaining on topic and doesn't break any forum rules. It has good potential to stir interesting but civil debate. Let's not make it personal.

Thanks in advance.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
LOL, LMAO, ROFL. You haven;t been here long enough to see me "rant."

Furthermore, it has long been a pain for many a member to see a thread like this...

Subject:Brisket Help Needed

Dear Brethren

Today i did my first brisket blah blah blah, after blah blah blahing it and blahin it until it blah blahed... i then blahed it until it blahed twice. I then injected it with sweet loving blah when no one was looking. My blahs are tingly and I am walking funny and feel empty deep in my blahs from blahing my meat so much. i let it blah for three weeks then cooked it 20 minutes per pound blah blah blah at precisely blah blah temp. what went wrong blah sniff, blah blah. I checked the temp 56 consecutive times and it was not done at the precise temp of blah, blah blah. After 12 hours i finally gave up. Its a piece of crap. what can I do?

Many of you more experienced blahers say not to probe it or look at it too much... so I cut it down to just checking every 15 minutes--- you know, when I am already blahing it anyway with a mixture of blah just like Bobby Blah does or one of Paula Deens Gay assed sons do.

Internal Temp at 7 - 122
Internal Temp at 7:15 - 122
Internal Temp at 7:30 - 122.43
Internal Temp at 7:45 - 122.5
Internal Temp at 8:00 - 123
Internal Temp at 8:15 - 123.21223
Internal Temp at 8:30 - 121
Internal Temp at 8:45 - 120
Internal Temp at 9:00 - 121
Internal Temp at 9:15 - 122

I think you are right. Let's all just cook like we want... no more questionbs or advice from experts... let's now make this forum pron only... nope, we would learn from that too.

Please, do NOT insult Myron by comparing him to me. You should try talking to him one day.

ROFLMFAO Now that's some funny chit

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote