MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

That's a big piece of equipment to lug to festivals. We use Camp Chef stoves and spillage pans. Easier to handle and less expensive.

How's your June gig coming??

Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in PA View Post
That's a big piece of equipment to lug to festivals. We use Camp Chef stoves and spillage pans. Easier to handle and less expensive.

How's your June gig coming??
June gig is coming, I haven't really put anything together for it yet. But I will keep you updated. Thanks

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

To elaborate - we have 5 camp Chef stoves which gives us 15 wells. I suspect the 5 well table won't be much help for yur June thingy. But then, I don't know what your experience has been with high-volume vending.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I was in the restaurant business for a while doing high end weddings and catering events. I have never vending BBQ, but I am pretty confident about it. I was going to use the well at the June event to keep the pulled pork and brisket hot for serving. It will only be used for keeping the food hot. I thougt it would work pretty well, you can keep a lot of pork in a 4 inch hotel pan. For larger events this year I am going to keep it simple and good. Any advice would be great and appreciated.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Did the guys phone ever start working again?

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Not the last time I called, A bit annoying. I will ring him off the hook tomorrow.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

Well, I'm not sure if you would consider it advice, but I can give you an example of how we have handled high-volume vending events. We have five lines approaching our counters. Each line is served by a team of an order taker/cashier and a sandwich maker. Each cashier has a cashbox and a cooler full of drinks. Each sandwich maker has three wells in front of him with pork, brisket, burnt endz, home made sausage and pulled chicken. One person works the cooker and breaks down meat. The five service teams are supported by 3 runners supplying meat, drinks and rolls as needed as well as refilling sauce bottles and napkins. We have pushed out 2,400 sammies in 4 hours. Target is 6 ounces but they drift high. That translates to about 900 lbs pork, 500 lbs brisket and about 400 lbs of the other stuff combined.

We also usually put three butts in a 4 inch pan. Sometimes four if they are small. I hope you find this helpful.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #23
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Very helpful, I just about have the same set up. I am the grill man and heat man keeping the line full. I have two to three people working the line knocking the food out. Depending on the crowd I plan on three to five lines and two to three food runners. Thanks for confirming my idea could work.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine