MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #391
Bucking Good BBQ
Found some matches.

Default LSG Vault

I have a 2 month old LSG Vault with the BBQ Guru. Guru has 6ft leads and the 25CFM. Vault has the 4 d-rings. I have it for sale for 2600.
I love the vault, it is a work horse, I have used it in a comp and ended up 4th overall out of 27. It was really the first time I cooked on it. It has 3 cooks on it.
I loved the fact that I would wake up at night and temp was holding at 226, all night long....I actually got some sleep at a comp.
Im located in Central Texas if interested.
Its not working with my Comp set up that I have right now. But in a couple of years when I go into custom cooking Im getting another one.
Email me at [email protected]
Bucking Good BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #392
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Chris, just some ideas for some future add on features.

Stainless steel racks

I'm not sure how possible this one would be due to the weight of the item, but a kit for guys to take their casters off and mount to a trailer if they wanted to make a trailer set up in the future.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #393
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Chris, just some ideas for some future add on features.

Stainless steel racks

I'm not sure how possible this one would be due to the weight of the item, but a kit for guys to take their casters off and mount to a trailer if they wanted to make a trailer set up in the future.

We already offer Stainless steel grates the charge is $0.26/ square inch. As of about a month ago we stopped welding on the wheels and instead blot them all on not just for the reason you mentioned but also for built in applications as well as future maintenance.

Thanks
Chris
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #394
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
We already offer Stainless steel grates the charge is $0.26/ square inch. As of about a month ago we stopped welding on the wheels and instead blot them all on not just for the reason you mentioned but also for built in applications as well as future maintenance.

Thanks
Chris
Chris if one was wanting to mount their unit on a trailer without having it built that way from you guys. How would you recommend doing it?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #395
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Chris if one was wanting to mount their unit on a trailer without having it built that way from you guys. How would you recommend doing it?
I would think you would have whoever built the trailer to make a platform/legs that you would attach the cooker where the legs bolted on by using bolts or welding on.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #396
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
I would think you would have whoever built the trailer to make a platform/legs that you would attach the cooker where the legs bolted on by using bolts or welding on.
That's my thinking as well, but I don't always like to assume when dealing with an item of that size and weight. And some guys make trailers of their own out of common trailers that you can get from places like tractor supply or other farm implement stores.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #397
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
We have done a lot like your describing, it can be bolted, welded, strapped down with the tie down rings, special base built for it, etc. Give us a call and we can work out the details to fit your situation.

Thanks
Chris
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #398
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cleaning tips

I have been following Chris's (from lone star grillz) tips on cleaning....

I let the coals burn themselves out (not much left after 24 hour burn) and in turn dry out the water pan. I empty out the ashes, scrape the bottom (fire side) of the water pan then, scrape the inside of the water pan and rinse it out with hot water. I brush excess build up off the grates, then spray the whole pit down with Pam for storage until the next cook. The stainless is pain to keep clean :)

How are you guys cleaning out your pits? Looking for faster or more efficient ways...
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #399
ggee6688
On the road to being a farker

I did my first comp this weekend. Smoker did great. I used 20lbs of KBB with Cherry wood for the whole 24 hours of cook time. It cooked all my meats but will need to work on my chicken. We wound up 40th overall out of 185 teams and got a 3rd in brisket. My smoker was a bear tô move with a couple people on a trailer. Wish the wheels were a bit wider. I also wish there is a door stopper. Right now the stainless has gouged into the steel corner. Any ideas. I'll have to fix the paint this weekend. But it smokes great.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #400
ggee6688

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
I have been following Chris's (from lone star grillz) tips on cleaning....

I let the coals burn themselves out (not much left after 24 hour burn) and in turn dry out the water pan. I empty out the ashes, scrape the bottom (fire side) of the water pan then, scrape the inside of the water pan and rinse it out with hot water. I brush excess build up off the grates, then spray the whole pit down with Pam for storage until the next cook. The stainless is pain to keep clean :)

How are you guys cleaning out your pits? Looking for faster or more efficient ways...
I cook dry now and able to keep it cleaner. I use two pans that sit above the fire pan to collect drippings. Then I just scrape the pan with am old ice scrapper, re oil, and Windex the stainless. Boom. Clean. 30 minutes
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #401
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Do they sell foil wide enough to line the water pan? I have mine full of foil balls and put foil over the balls. Just toss the foil when I'm done but my water pan is only 17x21. Only thing I have to clean are the grates and ash.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #402
mmotown
Got Wood.

Talking

Guys I am so glad I came across this thread. Anticipating the arrival of my LSIS I had been looking for any type of post about my insulated vertical smoker and I couldn't find anything. Last night I was about to go to bed and I tried a different search and came across this thread. After I read through it, it glad to know that everyone has experienced the same issues I had. I was almost at the point that I had made a $$$ mistake in purchasing this smoker. I was upgrading from a baby Stumps smoker and although it wasn't a water smoker, controlling the temp was easy.

Guys this is the problem I was having. When I first got my smoker and seasoned it, I did not use my guru and it held temp well and I was able to raise it to 250-275 easily. However on my first cook, I had issues. My guru and teltru thermometer was off by 20+ degrees. I didn't know which thermometer to believe. Not until I bought a oven thermometer to place on my grates was I convinced that the guru was off. I am running my guru with with a 10cfm fan. I see that you guys was having no issues with the guru. Why was I having issues? I went through 20lbs of charcoal quickly and my guru was constantly stoking. I have so much to talk about and I don't want to be all over the place so let's start with this post. Guys I am happy to have found you!20140621_164607 (1).jpg

20140621_164645.jpg

20140615_183829_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20140625_112812.jpg
mmotown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #403
mmotown
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
I cook dry now and able to keep it cleaner. I use two pans that sit above the fire pan to collect drippings. Then I just scrape the pan with am old ice scrapper, re oil, and Windex the stainless. Boom. Clean. 30 minutes

GGEE6688,

This is exaclty how I was going to run my smoker. After I clean my water pan again where I can put water in it and it's clear water, I was going to put either heavy duty foil in the bottom and pan on top to catch the dripping and if I need moisture, I would put a water pan on one of the shelves.

I haven't gotten a cover made for my smoker yet and I have about 3 different ss cleaners and I have yet to find one I really like. I find myself having OCD always wanting to keeps my doors clean. I went out of town this weekend and my tarp came off and now I have I guess water stains that I can't get off the door.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #404
ggee6688

I have food stains on my doors. My smoker is garage and my cars are outside. Wife was making fun of me cause the smoker was out in the rain at the competition yesterday.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #405
mmotown
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
I have food stains on my doors. My smoker is garage and my cars are outside. Wife was making fun of me cause the smoker was out in the rain at the competition yesterday.
Are your stains permanent? I asked Chris if my door could be painted a solid color like on my stumps. If the door ever becomes unsightly, I may look into getting the entire smoker painted.