Grinding Beef For Burgers

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Think I'm going to try grinding some chuck roast for burgers. Is chuck good for burgers or is there another cut I should look at.

Watched a couple YouTube videos and some people run the meat through the grinder twice. Is that necessary?

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've done both straight chuck and straight brisket and liked them both a lot. You can definitely do chuck.

Then there is the mix of chuck, brisket and short rib I need to venture into. But only so many times I make my own burgers :-D

I like chuck and short rib, though I'll mix in some brisket too, or maybe some steaks or other random beef cuts I need to get rid of. Chuck and _____ is usually my foundation though.

I don't always do the freezer but definitely make sure it is cold. Usually if I'm doing a Chuck roast I'll grind up some bacon as well to mix in. I've also done like one of the posters above and did brisket and of course bacon, it was awesome.

I usually use my most coarse plate and only run it through once. If you don't chill it enough sometimes it's a hard time staying together. Maybe use an egg or two in the mixture.

You want to keep the meat and grinding equipment cold during grinding so you don't get "Fat Smear" from the friction of the blade as it heats up. You can grind hamburger meat twice, but personally I only grind it once. I like Chuck as my main meat, but have added Brisket and other cuts with good success. Try to stay with hard white fat for grinding, and trim off all silver skin or other tough connective tissue that will get jammed up in your blade.

The key to tender burgers is to handle the meat as little as possible. The more you mix it, grind it, knead it, etc. will change the texture of the meat to more of a sausage-like texture.

I loosely pat together balls of ground beef trying to keep the same size and then push them down into patties. It doesn't matter if the edges have some splitting, all is good. Thick patties for the grill and thinner patties for the griddle. I never add eggs and all the other stuff in various recipes, I want it to taste like Beef!

Thanks, think I have some boneless short ribs in the freezer. Might throw some butter or bacon in there as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On occasion I get ground venison from friends. Since it's lean I mix some hot Italian sausage with it...very good burgers. Thing is, I like my burgers medium rare. When I do the sausage mix I have to cook them through. Would suggest the same if adding raw bacon to your grind.

Untrimmed Tri tip is really good to grind for hamburger.

The only problem with home grind is it doesn’t stick together well like store meat because it doesn’t have any pink slime which has blood that is an enzyme that helps bond it

If you use chuck or brisket, instead of adding sliced bacon for your fat, use pork belly and you can still cook them rare.

All of the popular beef muscle groups make outstanding burger. In fact, sometimes when it comes to wild game, or lamb, or bison.... I like the ground meat over the steaks. I have tried these combinations

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Experiment, see what the family likes.

Buy a Prime brisket...

Separate the flat from the point...

Trim all hard fat from both flat and point...

Grind the flat, best burgers you ever had...

Smoke the point, cause smoked flat sux...

#bestofbothworlds

I'm doing 50/50 burgers next time brisket goes on sale. Going to sous vide the bacon 146° overnight to pasteurize, soft freeze and grind with the beef. I like my burgers rare, this way they should be safe to eat.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Smoking a brisket today and saved some of the trimmings to add to burgers tomorrow. Is the layer of fat on this piece of point ok to use or should I trim it off?

VvRLfarl.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

I was just thinking about this last night..........We have a local place that makes bacon jalapeno cheddar burgers and bacon cheddar chive burgers, and the meat is fantastic. Welp, last year I bought a whole ribeye loin and cut it into steaks and saved all of the trimmings. I bought a quarter beef in the fall and have plenty of chuck and brisket. I don't think I can in good faith waste short ribs on burgers, but ribeye trim mixed with brisket and chuck should be good. Gonna try and get that done for Memorial Day.

Thanks for bringing it up...Now I HAVE to do it! :becky:

Back