Question for PK Grill Owners

BillN

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My wife indicated she wants me to look at a PK Grill, OK I said. So any PROS/CONS? Any issues with hot coals falling through the lower vents? How hard is it to clean out the ash? Are the grill grates necessary/worth the extra cost? How hard is it to add more charcoal during a cook? Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

I broke out the questions, Bill. My responses below...

Any issues with hot coals falling through the lower vents?

Assuming the PK original, I have seen guys use a foil pan underneath it to catch falling ash. The PK360 eliminates this by redesigning the lower intakes.

How hard is it to clean out the ash?

Again, for the original PK, let it cool and dump out the ash. The capsule is aluminum, so you can also hose it out. The PK360 added a clean out plug and hooks below it to catch the ash. Remove the plug and use a stiff brush to brush the ashes out the hole.

Are the grill grates necessary/worth the extra cost?

It honestly depends on what you are cooking. I have had Grill Grates for 6-8 years and love them, so for me, yes, they are worth it. Can you cook without them, Yep!

How hard is it to add more charcoal during a cook?

The grate on both the original and the 360 is hinged, so if you are cooking indirect, build you fire on the side that lifts up, and if you need to add more fuel, just lift up the grate and add it. Actually, when cooking indirect on my PK360 I don't even put in the hinged portion of the grate. I just leave it out. For grilling, I haven't had a need to add more fuel.

Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

The PKs are great grills and can double as a smoker/roaster for indirect cooks. Because of the generally rectangular shape it may not be the best for a long piece of meat like a brisket, but there are third party charcoal baskets that will let you set up a fire along the long side of the capsule if you want that.

Thanks for the quick response, the primary purpose would be for grilling steaks, burgers, veggies.

Thanks for the quick response, the primary purpose would be for grilling steaks, burgers, veggies.

I would get the Grill Grates. You can get great grill marks with them if you want, or flip them flat side up and use them like a griddle for seared steaks or burgers.

Can a vortex be used with a PK or is it a kettle thing?

Don’t see why not. I have both a Weber and a PK Classic, but no vortex. From my understanding and the name, it’s designed to focus heat for direct and create a convection current for indirect cooking. Might not be as efficient as in a dome, but no reason why it couldn’t work in the center of the PK with room on either end for the meat. Would want to make sure that it fits in the PK though. Not sure what the diameter of the vortex is. Only one way to find out. Would love to hear from someone who has a PK and vortex.

Thanks for all the feedback Ron, I am going to order the PK360 with Grill Grates. Can't hesitate on this since this was initiated by my better half.

Cap’n Ron speaks true! Totally agree with his assessment. While I haven’t tried a vortex in it, I might just for fun! You’ll love the GrillGrates, Bill... they were the best add-on I made.

Thanks for all the feedback Ron, I am going to order the PK360 with Grill Grates. Can't hesitate on this since this was initiated by my better half.

I understand! Check the promos. They usually run a special for Father's Day that may be worth waiting for.

I understand! Check the promos. They usually run a special for Father's Day that may be worth waiting for.

Already ordered, I did get $75.00 off from the $799.00 price and the Grill Grates were $12.99 off the normal price since included with today's order. So $814 out the door with the free shipping. Now just praying the delivery goes off without a hitch, not sure if they use FedEx or UPS, our UPS is really good at beating the snot out of packages.

Not sure about a Vortex on the PK. I would wonder about how to set the air flow.

I wanna, I wanna. I do not need one but I wanna one. I am cooking what will turn out to be, for me, a perfectly great prime ribeye on my Weber SlowNSear. But ... I still wanna a PK360.

I gave my PK Classic to my brother because I preferred my Weber Kettle to it. Something that really annoyed me about the PK is that you have to pay extra for a SS grate. Not cool when the grill is already over 400 bucks. I had the grill grates, but honestly wouldn’t buy them again. They’re great for sear marks if that’s something you’re into, I prefer cooking on the SS grate.

On a side note, I feel that the 360 is way expensive for something made in China. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back