MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Nice call, Der Husker. If time permits, I'm in. WOOOOO!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Gizzrd.gif (747.3 KB, 208 views)
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 05-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #17
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Not wanting to make it difficult on you but using just the bone doesn't sound like starting out as a pork butt.

That would be more like the "I've got a bone to pick!" or "Throw me a Bone!" Throwdown. Sorry about that.

All the same, I'd love to see the soup you'd make with the bone.
Thanks guys..... I'm probably thinking outside the box, which I do often. Sorry butt, creating a bone scenario was a mis-direction, because I didn't want to give away my hole card so to speak. Butt, for the most part I think by now I'm already semi-busted with my game-plan. So, I'm going to start with that BIG butt in my beer fridge and move forward, full speed ahead, and hopefully put a legal twist on this TD.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Thanks guys..... I'm probably thinking outside the box, which I do often. Sorry butt, creating a bone scenario was a mis-direction, because I didn't want to give away my hole card so to speak. Butt, for the most part I think by now I'm already semi-busted with my game-plan. So, I'm going to start with that BIG butt in my beer fridge and move forward, full speed ahead, and hopefully put a legal twist on this TD.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
LYU370

What counts as a kettle?

Does a Kamado count as a kettle?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #20
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

You know, I haven't done one of these in a LONG time. My Lang is long gone and I have Bubba Grills custom making a RF smoker for me. Hopefully it'll get here in time. Looks like a good maiden voyage cook to have some fun with. I'll try.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #21
campdude
Babbling Farker

Cooked a butt this past Sat. I don't take great shots, but hey all that can happen is I earn another " 0 "! Full cook thread here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=271727

My entry photo. Simple, yet delicious pulled pork.

campdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
I think you answered as I was editing my question. And I think you might see where I'm going with this.... So, not to be a pain in the butt... here goes the follow-up. If I start with a big butt, remove the bone, discard most of the meat, flavor smoke the bone, then make soup with the bone... is this legal? Or do I have to cook the big butt whole, then do whatever I want with the meat or bone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose But to answer your question, yes. As long as there is pork butt that was either grilled or smoked per standard TD rules, you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Not wanting to make it difficult on you but using just the bone doesn't sound like starting out as a pork butt.

That would be more like the "I've got a bone to pick!" or "Throw me a Bone!" Throwdown. Sorry about that.

All the same, I'd love to see the soup you'd make with the bone.
Well, I decided to leave some meat on the bone after all.... in fact I broke my big butt down into my favorite muscle groups, the money end and the horn end. Stay tuned...

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Old 05-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #24
thirdeye

It's time for the Throwdown entry post for my Pork Breakfast Griddle.... HERE is the link to my cooks thread in Q-Talk with all the details of my cook from start to finish. Here is the pork I had to work with for this throwdown.

And.... without further ado, here is my official "I Like Big Butts!" TD entry photo.

Last edited by thirdeye; 05-12-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #25
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Use first photo. Ribs and tenderloin added later. Friend’s son had first communion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Wife requested Pernil a lo panameño for mother's day. However we didn't have an army to feed a pork leg was out and butts were in! Lucky me, an excuse to enter the thowdown.

Picked up a pack of boneless butts at Costco

Into the marinade for a day. Think mojo, as there is lots of garlic and oregano and cumin, then add some onion and celery and most importantly some Culantro

And then the skies opened up and the original plan to cook it on a rotisserie over an open fire was nixed. Ended up cooking it on the gasser rotisserie. No pics as my hands were too full balancing the meat and an umbrella.

Wife was very happy with the final result so that's all that matters. Took the leftover marinade and boiled it down to make a sauce. Was missing l'insalata russa y arroz con guandú y coco but we are watching our carbs these days so platted up with some fresh asparagus and cauliflower mash!

Please use this last photo for voting

Last edited by FattyMac; 05-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Think the mod note might have been directed at me...
FattyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #27
Moose

Exclamation

***MODERATOR'S NOTE:***

Folks, PLEASE take the time to read the rules before posting in Throwdown entry threads. FattyMac's above post was neither identified as an entry, nor was an entry photo specified.

1. To enter a Throwdown you must clearly state at the BEGINNING of your post that you intend for your post to be an official entry into the Throwdown, and it must be clear enough that the moderator understands your intention. This can be as simple as saying, "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown". Any post that does not state this intent at the beginning of their post, or does not say so in a clear enough manner for the moderator to understand WILL NOT be included in the Voting for that Throwdown.

6. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderator’s decision is final.* You are allowed to enter more than once but only one of your entries can be used in the voting thread (for example if you want to enter a second dish that will replace your first one).** You must CLEARLY state which entry is the one you want to go to the vote thread. Otherwise the moderators will choose for you and that decision will be final. Finally, NO collage photos are allowed as entry photos, no exceptions!

Throwdown rules can be found HERE:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #28
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMac View Post
Wife requested Pernil a lo panameño for mother's day. However we didn't have an army to feed a pork leg was out and butts were in! Lucky me, an excuse to enter the thowdown.

Please use this last photo for voting

Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #29
WSM18Lang48
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rich

Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown, the photo at the top.
WSM18Lang48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #30
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Please accept this photo as my entry.

Had some company in from Jamaica so it was a pulled pork day.
A link to the cook.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=271986
Thanks for looking.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote