Vinegar Sauce Shelf Life

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Okay, I have searched some, again...

I made up some great Vinegar based finishing sauce about 2 months ago. It has been in the fridge since.

I think it is still good, do you agree?

Thanks!

I think it is. But, I am not food safe certified and will not hold your hand should you spend the night on the toilet.

On one side: Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and pretty much pickles everything... My refrigerator pickles are good for 3 to 6 months ...

On the cautious side: The vinegar ratio to other ingredients is important to understand. Also, I would be careful if you have any meat drippings or heavy organic material in the sauce like chunks of tomato, onion or peppers... To be safe, I would bring it to a boil and hold it for awhlie before using it

How does it smell? I ate a pickled egg the other day that was at least 14 months old. Smelled it smelled good ate it and it was pretty good.

Why do you have an immune system if your not going to give it a workout now and then. LOL

I might not serve it to someone else without them knowing.

Oh yeah, its still good. I make it all the time and leave it sittin out as much as 3 months.

Yep, your safe. Looking at the ingredients, vinegar is stable for pretty much life and everything else in it is processed and then you boil it for 15 - 20 minutes.

If it's lasting 2 months or more maybe you need to BBQ more!!! WooHoo

Oh yeah, that stuff is all vinegar with a few flavorings sprinkled in. That stuff will be good forever. Flavors will dull over time though, but I mean over a long time.

I agree should be fine for a while,Amber makes a vinegar base sauce by the gallon and it last us about 6mos. no problems with spoilage

I make it by the gallon. Longer it sets the better it gets. Hotter. You know its getting right when you get a red oil slick on the top. Its the oils from the pepper 6-9 months

its probably ok, I store mine in the fridge for months, before you use it to be safe bring it to a temp of 165 for 15 seconds and you'll be good to go.

I think it gets better with age! I like to make big batches so it has time to mature when I use it again.

Had a crack at this recipe last night, with my own special mod.... left the stove on "simmer", and came back to find the sauce foaming up the side of the saucepan. Seems someone decided it "wasn't simmering fast enough". :)
It's fairly reduced and concentrated, but it's absolutely delicious and superb on the sample of smoked shoulder I tried it on.
Thanks for the recipe mate!

Back