How to seperate the point from the flat??

SLCMACK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a link or some pics or a video that illustrates how to seperate the point form the flat? I am wanting to bust my cherry and make some burnt ends for the first time and dont want to screw it up:becky: Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!

You really can't miss it, especially when the brisket is hot. On the bottom you'll notice a long diagonal vein of fat, it separates the two. Slip your knife in there and just follow the soft path of hot fat.

Brisky

Try this,I put Salt and Cracked Black Pepper all over the brisket,compute the time at 1.5/lb. Put them in and leave it shut until my time estiment has come and then I open and test.I cook @ 200* to 225*f.and have no trouble.My Smoker:

Betty003.jpg

and get tese results:

Betty004.jpg

Hope this helps and,

Forgot.................;}-

When my Brisket is done,I rub my hand(no knife) down the flat on the fat and push toward the point end,the point just falls off.

Betty013.jpg

@oldschool - same here with the gloves! lol. OUCH!! I use 2-3 glove layers too or the thin cotton/wool gloves under food gloves.

Wow, Oldschool! That is one heck of a pit! it turns briskets into butts? :becky:

Wow, Oldschool! That is one heck of a pit! it turns briskets into butts? :becky:

I was waiting for someone else to say it! :laugh:

Jokes aside, I agree with Oldschool, I use my gloved hand to separate the two. It doesn't take much to separate when the brisket is done.

Back