BBQ Terminology

L

lazybonesmoke1

Does anyone have a list of bbq/cooking terms that I can use to train my employee's?

We have a list of acronyms in a sticky around here somewhere.

Thanks guys but I was looking for definitions not abbreviations. I started some but needed some more definitions. Something like this:

Baby Back Ribs (or Loin Back Ribs) - A small cut of ribs from the pork loin that includes the blade and center section of the loin. Weight should be 2 pounds or less, or as we say in the trade, 2 down.

Barbecue - To slow cook meats over indirect heat of hardwood at a temperature of 180 to 250 degrees.

Barbecue Sauce - A liquid mixture, usually tomato-based, sweet and sour, with spices. It can be applied to meats during the final minutes of cooking. It is usually served on the side but is not necessary with properly cooked barbecue.

Bark - The outside crust of the butt or shoulder or brisket. Bark is enhanced by putting rub and sauce on the meat frequently.

Basting Sauces - Thin, flavorful liquids that are brushed onto the meat while cooking to help keep them moist.

Burnt Ends - The blackened, somewhat charred pieces of brisket ends that cannot be sliced.

Finishing Sauce or Glaze - A sweet finishing sauce applied to meats during the final minutes of barbecuing.

Rub - A bbq seasoning with lots of spices that is usually rubbed onto the meat dry, but sometimes liquid is added to make a thick paste that’s slathered onto the meat. Paprika is often the predominant spice, which is why most rubs have a red color. Rubs can be tailored to the type of meat, fish or foul you are barbecuing.

Marinades - A blend of liquids, spices and herbs that meat is soaked in for flavoring and sometimes tenderizing prior to cooking.

Mop - A cotton mop used to baste meats while cooking.

Pit - The cooking unit used to barbecue. May be a closed container, cement or brick structure, or even a hole dug in the ground.

Baby Back or Back Ribs - The meat between the ribs is called "finger meat". There are sually 8 -14 ribs.

Rib Tips - The breast bone at the top of a slab of spare ribs.

Short End Spare Ribs - The last seven or eight ribs in a slab of spare ribs.

Spare Rib - Usually 12 ribs from the belly section of the pig.
So there you have it. Now you know all there is to know about barbecue. Not! The more you read the more you’ll realize you don’t know, but I can tell you that when your ready to eat some great barbecue, call us and we will bring some right over.

Just a few tweaks...

Thanks guys but I was looking for definitions not abbreviations. I started some but needed some more definitions. Something like this:

Baby Back Ribs (or Loin Back Ribs) - A small cut of ribs from the pork loin that includes the blade and center section of the loin. Weight should be 2 pounds or less, or as we say in the trade, 2 down.

Barbecue - To slow cook meats over indirect heat of hardwood at a temperature of 180 to 250 degrees.

Barbecue Sauce - A liquid mixture, usually tomato-based, sweet and sour, with spices. It can be applied to meats during the final minutes of cooking. It is usually served on the side but is not necessary with properly cooked barbecue.

Bark - The outside crust of the butt or shoulder or brisket. Bark is enhanced by putting rub and sauce on the meat frequently.

Basting Sauces - Thin, flavorful liquids that are brushed onto the meat while cooking to help keep them moist.

Burnt Ends - The blackened, somewhat charred pieces of brisket ends that cannot be sliced.

Finishing Sauce or Glaze - A sweet finishing sauce applied to meats during the final minutes of barbecuing. (Don't use the word you are trying to define in the definition. Try this: A sauce containing honey, brown sugar or other sweeteners applied to meats during the final minutes of barbecuing to add sweet overtones and shiny appearance. )

Rub - A bbq seasoning with lots of spices that is usually rubbed onto the meat dry, but sometimes liquid is added to make a thick paste that’s slathered onto the meat. Paprika is often the predominant spice, which is why most rubs have a red color. Rubs can be tailored to the type of meat, fish or foul you are barbecuing.

Marinades - A blend of liquids, spices and herbs that meat is soaked in for flavoring and sometimes tenderizing prior to cooking. (Per Alton Brown, marinades can add flavor but they don't tenderize. Marinades don't penetrate deep enough into the meat to denature the proteins. who knew that would ever come up in conversation?)

Mop - A cotton mop used to baste meats while cooking. (See Finishing sauce comment)

Pit - The cooking unit used to barbecue. May be a closed container, cement or brick structure, or even a hole dug in the ground.

Baby Back or Back Ribs - The meat between the ribs is called "finger meat". There are sually 8 -14 ribs.

Rib Tips - The breast bone at the top of a slab of spare ribs.

Short End Spare Ribs - The last seven or eight ribs in a slab of spare ribs.

Spare Rib - Usually 12 ribs from the belly section of the pig.
So there you have it. Now you know all there is to know about barbecue. Not! The more you read the more you’ll realize you don’t know, but I can tell you that when your ready to eat some great barbecue, call us and we will bring some right over.

Hope that helped.

Some BBQ books have definitions:

I will look and share later!

edit:

Peace, Love and BBQ and BBQ USA to name two.

Don't forget #'s and up. When you start ordering meat, you are going to want your briskets/butts to be over a certain weight simialr to the above where you want BB's below a certain weight.

This sounds like a good project for us. If I have some time tomorrow, I'll try to get a few posted.

Back