• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
"Burn baby burn!" then "paint baby paint" and "grease baby grease" as fast as possible.

Nothing rust faster than a freshly burned drum. I suggest that you paint tha outside with high temperature paint as soon as it cools off and "grease the inside" with bacon grease quickly.(with a regular controlled charcoal fire)

I bought a set of those punches at HF and have used them on several barrels. Sure beats using a holesaw or drill bit.

Getting ready to try a Mista type video. Came across pics i had taken of Single Fins I had not posted. Hope all is not bored with drum info.

Slide shows(click to play)

Pics.
IMG_2663-1.jpg

IMG_2661-1.jpg

IMG_2662-1.jpg

IMG_2666-1.jpg

I always enjoy seeing pics of a UDS in progress, and also enjoy reading about everyones different techniques.

I always enjoy seeing pics of a UDS in progress, and also enjoy reading about everyones different techniques.

Just call around. I got some new drums from an oil supplier. He had brand new uncoated drums.

There is a local food processor and they sell those green apple juice barrels.

The best thing to get if you can find it, is a new unlined barrel with a removable lid.

If you can only find a closed drum, try this method. A Weber 22.5" kettle has been sacrificed and lives to cook another day!
Cut the drum inside the rim
100_2082.jpg

I cut the bottom rim of the kettle and make a flange that fits in the drum
100_2083.jpg

100_2085.jpg

Wrap a section of expando to fit the Weber coal grate, bolt it together and wire it to the grate. Optional-wire it to the old 22.5" cooking grate and it sits on 4 bolts above the intake vents.
100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

100_2107.jpg

I go with the three hole intake, but use whatever design you choose.
100_2108.jpg

100_2109.jpg

Cooking grate sits 24" from the bottom of my basket.
100_2106.jpg

Mount your thermometer just at/below grate, paint and season! Now you're cookin'!

Don't kill me for a little bit of a topic change here.............well, it's closely related. I just didn't want to start a whole new thread for this.
If you have a drum that just doesn't cut the mustard............turn it into a CCB.

Let's see who figures out what CCB means.

Here's my CCB.....

Mods...I won't mind if you move this to keep this thread UDS pure and virginal.

Don't kill me for a little bit of a topic change here.............well, it's closely related. I just didn't want to start a whole new thread for this.
If you have a drum that just doesn't cut the mustard............turn it into a CCB.

Let's see who figures out what CCB means.

Here's my CCB.....

Mods...I won't mind if you move this to keep this thread UDS pure and virginal.

I'll bite, what is it?

CCB??? Well in the pics that looks like "cracklins" so how about cracklin' cookin' barrel?

My drum finally arrived early this week. I went out and got the misc bits and peices today. Took about 3 hours to build. I would be smoking a brisket right now if it hadn't started snowing.

from this:
Picture354.jpg

to this:
Picture367.jpg

Hey, that looks great!!! I dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread or not but, they work just fine in the snow, so...git-r-done!!

Its actually standard 55 gal dimensions. Not the 80 gal drum designed for drums within a drum.

Height (In.)34 1/4Inside Dia. (In.)22 1/2Outside Dia. (In.)23 3/8

scudrunr, sssswwwweeeeeeeeeeeeettt! Good lookin drum you did brother. OBTW, what Smooookin said...they work just fine in the snow. Keep us posted on the first cook cause you're going to like the outcome!

Back