Assassin 48 Questions

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
For those of you who own the Assassin 48, how do you find it performs grilling and smoking? Any suggestions for things to add or change from the base?
I have seen some videos from BBQ Freak on YouTube, and it seems like it would be a good grill and smoker. I’m considering getting one to replace both my Weber kettle and my OC Smokehouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who own the Assassin 48, how do you find it performs grilling and smoking? Any suggestions for things to add or change from the base?
I have seen some videos from BBQ Freak on YouTube, and it seems like it would be a good grill and smoker. I’m considering getting one to replace both my Weber kettle and my OC Smokehouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It holds temp really well I prefer hot and fast at 275-300 and it hold steady once you get it there. I got the dual stacks and also went access doors on both ends and split pans. I would say the essential upgrade is the SS rod split grates for the bottom. Peter B started this and has many pictures on here to review. They are built solid, allow you to move the charcoal grate to the top rail for better searing and the ability to just use one grate and slide all of the food from direct to indirect instantly is a great feature. I went SS expanded for the top rack for before so you don't have to upgrade both but I would highly recommend doing the bottom rack.

It holds temp really well I prefer hot and fast at 275-300 and it hold steady once you get it there. I got the dual stacks and also went access doors on both ends and split pans. I would say the essential upgrade is the SS rod split grates for the bottom. Peter B started this and has many pictures on here to review. They are built solid, allow you to move the charcoal grate to the top rail for better searing and the ability to just use one grate and slide all of the food from direct to indirect instantly is a great feature. I went SS expanded for the top rack for before so you don't have to upgrade both but I would highly recommend doing the bottom rack.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you (extra) to do the split stainless on the bottom and stainless expanded on top?

Back