New CBJ verification procedures

Merl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
CBJ verification procedures for contest after June 1, 2008
Beginning June 1, all KCBS CBJs are to have their membership cards. (New cards were mailed in Jan, Feb and March to call CBJ’s in good standing.) It is requested that the person who checks in CBJs for the organizer ask to see the current CBJ's card. If a person (who is trained as a CBJ) does not have a current membership card, they should be referred to the Contest Rep and may pay their dues, if desired. They will be immediately considered a CBJ, at that time.

If a person does not desire to pay their dues, then the person may be used as the organizer desires. If this is a 100% CBJ contest, they might serve in another capacity other than a Judge. However, to be counted and reported to KCBS as a CBJ, the person must be a member in good standing.

Contest Reps and Organizers, may not report persons who are not members in good standing (have a current membership card) as a CBJ on the Contest Critique forms, and their attendance will not be included as a CBJ on the KCBS calendar for next year as to percentage of CBJs.

Answers to questions:
#1 – A judge should not be asked to leave if they can not produce the card. They may not be counted as a CBJ for the contest. It is up to the Organizer to utilize the person as they desire. This has always been up to the organizer and will remain at their sole direction. The reporting of CBJ’s at a contest is found on the Rep Critique and Organizer Critique, and asks how many CBJs and non CBJs judged the contest, and will be published on the contest calendar in the future
#2 – Is a person a CBJ in good standing immediately if they fill out a membership application and pay? Yes.

#3 - What if the person claims to be a CBJ, fills out the membership form to renew, pays and really never attended a CBJ class? I am sure the KCBS office will handle when they receive the form. Hopefully, this won't happen a lot but I would guess the office would have to call and ask what class they attended and when. Should they repeatedly misrepresent themselves as a CBJ at a contest (and I can't imagine this as they would have to pay numerous times if they don't have a card) KCBS will handle the situation.

#4 -What should new CBJs do as they don't have a membership card for approximately 60 days? They should take their CBJ book with them which is signed by the instructor and dated, (Page 6). That will serve as validation for anyone who has been trained within the few months. The date should appear on page 6 of the CBJ manual.

#5 – Should a rep, sign off on a contest if they tell me there is just a problem they need to clear up with the office the following week? Yes, Reps should continue to sign the books of anyone who says they are a CBJ in good standing, for the next 60 days without question. This means we will sign books through August 1, 2008 if a member states they are current and just needs to work it out with the office.

#6 - Does a judge who can't produce their membership card, but feels they are current, need to do anything beyond calling the KCBS office the next week? Yes, Contact KCBS.

Merl, thanks for detailing this. Question for you. The KCBS website list of CBJs....is there a high level of confidence in its accuracy? Can an organizer save some chaos by checking their judge list against the week prior to the event and "pre" qualify the judges and proactive encourage those not current to be prepared to do so day of the event? I am just concerned how much chaos this is going to cause the morning of the contest.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this approach.

The #1 answer is that the organizer can use anyone they want in any capacity, no questions asked.

The effect of this will be on contest who desire to be 100% CBJ or a high percentage. I do not know that the CBJ list is accurate, but a good beginning point. We do not want to offend any person.

But like most things, taking a class means you have the training. Being a CBJ means you are a member in good standing, and at least the hope is you receive the bullsheet and stay current on changes which occur.

The CBJ class has changed a lot over the past 5 years. As in most training there is a need to stay current. This is the goal. (also remember a CBJ may audit a CBJ class at any time without charge.)

We hope this will be a very simple transition and one which becomes natural within a short time. In the next few months we will work to correct any errors and work with all CBJs.

Organizers may send a list of judges to KCBS for verification of CBJ in good standing in this interim period.

Merl

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to carry my card with me.

Is this type of information sent to contest organizers via snail or email in the off chance that they do not participate on forums?

Eric

Tana Shupe is in contact with every organizer and Carol Whitebook has been in touch with every contest rep.

Merl, could Tanya/KCBS also send this information to the CBJs. They are the ones that need to remember to carry the card. We got ours but it never dawned on me that this kind of policy was coming behind it.....it would help organizers alot if that email could go out...since its new.

Jim, glad to help you. Always feel free to contact me with anything I can do for you. Good luck with your contest.
Yours in Q
Merl

Thank you for the quick reply Merl. Thanks also for leaving the door open as I need all the help I can get.:lol:

I'll be getting in touch with Dawn this morning.

Back