MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #391
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
+1. For a homeowner to invest in a $3k pellet grill it would be nice to have a way to at least try one before they buy it. Do they have a dealer network where you can go and at least use the demo model.

Chris
I agree that trying the food produced by a $3K pellet grill before dropping that kind of coin is prudent. I've owned a few different pellet grills (2 Traegers and Char Griller) before owning my Mak. I didn't care for the food put out by any of those....but, that's also before I owned a stick burner where I may have grown more accustomed to a lighter smoke profile that results from running a clean fire.

BUT

I bought my Mak 2* used and it's an early serial number. It was incredibly dirty...maybe never had been cleaned? I spent quite a bit of time cleaning it out and bringing it back to its former glory over several weeks...maybe months...and it was basically perfect under all that neglect. It's been dead nuts reliable since I bought it almost a year ago. I had one weird temp fluctuation issue due to a dirty temp probe but it was easily fixed. Someday I'll probably buy a new one that has some of the updated features but I'm very happy with it as is.

It doesn't have quite the character of the food I cook on my stick burner, if I had to place a number on it I'd say like 85%, but 85% of a Shirley is still pretty darn good and it lets me cook when I otherwise might not be able to.

The point to my rambling is this - while I think my Mak 2* puts out food that really works for my preferences, that price tag buys a quality built cooker that will tolerate _a lot_ of abuse (hopefully you dont) and keep on ticking. If you want to see what my 2* looked like before and after as a testament to their quality, click here.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #392
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I agree that trying the food produced by a $3K pellet grill before dropping that kind of coin is prudent. I've owned a few different pellet grills (2 Traegers and Char Griller) before owning my Mak. I didn't care for the food put out by any of those....but, that's also before I owned a stick burner where I may have grown more accustomed to a lighter smoke profile that results from running a clean fire.

BUT

I bought my Mak 2* used and it's an early serial number. It was incredibly dirty...maybe never had been cleaned? I spent quite a bit of time cleaning it out and bringing it back to its former glory over several weeks...maybe months...and it was basically perfect under all that neglect. It's been dead nuts reliable since I bought it almost a year ago. I had one weird temp fluctuation issue due to a dirty temp probe but it was easily fixed. Someday I'll probably buy a new one that has some of the updated features but I'm very happy with it as is.

It doesn't have quite the character of the food I cook on my stick burner, if I had to place a number on it I'd say like 85%, but 85% of a Shirley is still pretty darn good and it lets me cook when I otherwise might not be able to.

The point to my rambling is this - while I think my Mak 2* puts out food that really works for my preferences, that price tag buys a quality built cooker that will tolerate _a lot_ of abuse (hopefully you dont) and keep on ticking. If you want to see what my 2* looked like before and after as a testament to their quality, click here.
I read your other thread. Good cleanup and restoration.

I don’t know what you paid for that Mac but I bet I was inexpensive enough that it was worth the risk even if you didn’t like it. If that kind of deal came along I would probably jump on it knowing I could get back most of all of my money if I didn’t like it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2020, 04:34 AM   #393
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
What makes you want to switch from GMG? I'm pondering a new grill purchase and am leaning towards a GMG for my budget. I realize mak/Yoder are in a whole other class, I'm just curious what's pushing you towards a big upgrade.

Other than more cooking space in basically the same footprint because of the racks that can be added, it’s and upgrade on everything. Hopper, auger, hot rod, controller, wifi, app, stainless steel and powdercoating. I’m in no way knocking the GMG, we’ve cooked a ton of great food on it but we bought it to see what we thought of pellet cooking and we’re sold on it!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #394
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

For those that have the Weber SF Pellet Grill and if I had one and really wanted to keep it, the Modifications I would definitely do to solve/fix the grease fire issues are these.
1. I would use a heat diffuser plate similar to the style/design that is used in the Pit Boss Pellet grills... They’re actually the length of the cooking chamber and sits at the bottom of the cooking chamber and directly on the Fire Pot... To give you an idea, here’s a couple of pics.

2. I would then modify the diffuser plate to have it slanted downwards on both sides to channel the grease flow away from the fire pot. I would then have 2 exit holes at the opposite ends of the grill and attach a grease bucket their to collect the grease runoff. I also would still use the OEM Weber SF heat diffuser and place it inside the modified diffuser plate and centered covering the fire pot. I know those that don’t have Pellet Grills may not have a clue of what I’m trying to describe, but those that have one should.
3. I know the Pit Boss Heat Diffusers dimensions wouldn’t fit inside the Weber SF, but the idea/logic is to have a diffuser plate that is able to channel the grease flow runoff away from the fire pot... and I’m sure any local Machine Shop could do it if given the dimensions of your Weber SF grill. If done correctly, there would be no need to add a drip pan to collect the grease runoff and the Flavorizer bars can still perform their intended functions as well as high temp grilling and searing. Is it extra work to modify it?? Yes... Can it work? Yes. I’m just thinking outside the box and something the Engineers at Weber should have thought of in the first place. To bad I can’t patent this idea... Pit Boss already beat me to it years ago and I guess Weber engineers weren’t paying attention, but I was. Weber could still use it and call it their grease runoff plate for the SmokeFire v2 remix... If there is one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0A7D4B73-F8A2-48CA-A79C-962347226750.jpeg (9.0 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 24AA7F73-8C03-4A6F-90CD-2948839FDAB5.jpg (43.8 KB, 269 views)

Old 02-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #395
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Other than more cooking space in basically the same footprint because of the racks that can be added, it’s and upgrade on everything. Hopper, auger, hot rod, controller, wifi, app, stainless steel and powdercoating. I’m in no way knocking the GMG, we’ve cooked a ton of great food on it but we bought it to see what we thought of pellet cooking and we’re sold on it!
That's what I figured. I love the YS640S, just can't afford one, which is why the GMG has my interest.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #396
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
That's what I figured. I love the YS640S, just can't afford one, which is why the GMG has my interest.

You’ll be happy with it I’d bet!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #397
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
For those that have the Weber SF Pellet Grill and if I had one and really wanted to keep it, the Modifications I would definitely do to solve/fix the grease fire issues are these.
1. I would use a heat diffuser plate similar to the style/design that is used in the Pit Boss Pellet grills... They’re actually the length of the cooking chamber and sits at the bottom of the cooking chamber and directly on the Fire Pot... To give you an idea, here’s a couple of pics.

2. I would then modify the diffuser plate to have it slanted downwards on both sides to channel the grease flow away from the fire pot. I would then have 2 exit holes at the opposite ends of the grill and attach a grease bucket their to collect the grease runoff. I also would still use the OEM Weber SF heat diffuser and place it inside the modified diffuser plate and centered covering the fire pot. I know those that don’t have Pellet Grills may not have a clue of what I’m trying to describe, but those that have one should.
3. I know the Pit Boss Heat Diffusers dimensions wouldn’t fit inside the Weber SF, but the idea/logic is to have a diffuser plate that is able to channel the grease flow runoff away from the fire pot... and I’m sure any local Machine Shop could do it if given the dimensions of your Weber SF grill. If done correctly, there would be no need to add a drip pan to collect the grease runoff and the Flavorizer bars can still perform their intended functions as well as high temp grilling and searing. Is it extra work to modify it?? Yes... Can it work? Yes. I’m just thinking outside the box and something the Engineers at Weber should have thought of in the first place. To bad I can’t patent this idea... Pit Boss already beat me to it years ago and I guess Weber engineers weren’t paying attention, but I was. Weber could still use it and call it their grease runoff plate for the SmokeFire v2 remix... If there is one...
I’m sorry, I should have posted this idea on the Weber SmokeFire Returned thread.. My bad. I hope the idea/info helps anyway.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #398
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is the first good solution to the hopper angle. https://youtu.be/6GpdywB4XoA

I’m sure someone will start selling modification kits for this cooker soon