MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #91
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Art_B-Q

I remember when he had the Babe units. Not sure what size they were but one of those would look really good in my backyard! I believe this is a Babe is his video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6u66ZT1oKs
ArtBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #92
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

They are supposedly bringing the babe back in March is what they told me.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #93
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
They are supposedly bringing the babe back in March is what they told me.
Oh man dont tell me that! I loved the look of that cooker. JD mentions in one of his older YouTube vids that they were going to give one of those away, but it never happened.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #94
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

That's what the email said. I just don't want to wait until March to get on a list. I want to get some smoking in before it's scorching outside.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #95
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Saw on Instagram someone made it home with a 1975. Maybe this weekend they will get a video with a fire in it!

Old 02-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #96
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Interesting thread for sure, having welded some over the years I know why the welds look like that, its called stitching, the welder shuts the power off and on depending on how its set, typically used on thin metal to stop blow thru but can be adjusted for a wide array of uses, looks to be set for penetration and fast production rate as the welds look flat imo, this does give the welds a unique look but not sure they are any weaker than any other method. love to cook on all of them to see which is better but as bad as a cook I am the food would probably taste the same lol

Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #97
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
Saw on Instagram someone made it home with a 1975. Maybe this weekend they will get a video with a fire in it!
I saw that post too and started to get very excited to see these rolling out!

Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #98
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

March 4 - looks like the date for the Babe to return. From what it sounds link on comments on Instagram, it's going to cost $3-4K.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #99
bubbamac00
Knows what a fatty is.

I traded a couple emails with JD who said the Babe will run around $3420. More labor involved in creating it versus the Workhorse Pits 1975 which is about the same size. It will be a repurposed 120 gallon propane tank where the 1975 is made with new materials. He said they should cook virtually the same and will have similar options available (casters, tires, trailer options). He indicated that he will eventually do a comparison video of the two. I'm very interested in both and look forward to seeing both of them in action before moving forward with an order hopefully in April. For the price, I still really like the Workhorse Pits 1975.
bubbamac00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #100
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't understand the babe, it's at most the length of the 1975 but 30" in diameter. From my cooking experience I'd rather the length on something that short than the diameter.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #101
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

And to throw another wrench in the works, it looks like Franklin's site is finally up and running.

https://franklinbbqpits.com/

Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #102
johnlewis469
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Just googled Austin Smoke Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogbbq21 View Post
not to hijack but for anyone that's had the chance to cook on a moberg, smokeworks or mill scale. How even was the temps from end to end?
This thread came up on a Google search of our pit building company, “Austin Smoke Works vs other guys out there”. Haven’t been on this forum in quite a while, but gonna add my opinion. There is a bunch of copy cat pit builders out there now, mostly replicating Franklin and Lewis pit builds. There is something that comes with serving masses of guests and cooking for that day in and day out over a long period of time that leads someone to start building the perfect tool that produces the exact results you want with minimal room for error. That’s how I came upon the eventual pit design we for Austin Smoke Works, and what we use every day for our successful restaurant, with a large staff of cooks that rotate in an out constantly. That’s the life of operating a restaurant, constantly training new pit cooks, that come and go, and these pits are designed to make that process more idiot proof. So first thing to think about, is your pit builder operating a successful restaurant with tried and true results? Do they understand completely all the nuances that go into the design, which crear a consistent product 7 days a week? You’ll get that with an Austin Smoke Works pit.

Last thing I’d like to say about any offset pit you are looking at, is fire one up before you buy it. When you open the fire box door, no smoke should come towards you, even wide open with an active fire burning full logs. It should be sucked into the cook chamber and out through the smokestack. I’ve spent years of trial and error with long pit builds perfecting this, and we have a winner with the pit design I’ve settled on. It due to rolled smoke stacks of a perfectly sized diameter, rolled reducers from the steel 90degree elbow, that are perfectly sized for the cook chamber. Many have copied the outside look of my pits, but used off the shelf pipe and fittings. The one thing they haven’t gotten right yet, is the connection between the fire box( underneath all that insulation and outer square steel shell). It’s the most important part of the functionality of these pits, and also the hardest/most time consuming portion of the build. But it makes the world of difference.

Anyways, test out pits before you buy, open that firebox door, if smoke ( any bit) comes back towards you, I’d say it’s not a perfectly designed pit
johnlewis469 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 AM   #103
CravinQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

How about some feedback on the Workhorse pits you guys ordered. Not a peep since they arrived at your house. Anybody want to do a mini review?

Old 04-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #104
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Still waiting on my 1975

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #105
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Still waiting on my 1975
Has it arrived yet? How is it working out for you?