MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Aaron
Default Using the MMS-G33

Hello all,

I am looking to go towards the commercial avenue and picked up an MMS-G33. Is there anyone out there that has one that has any tips?
It is much different than my other smoker in everyway. My first smoker was a Grand Café. It turned out great food but needed to be babysat and did not have a very big temp range.
If I turned it up too much the chips caught fire.
It also is much smaller. I just cant get the same flavors.
HalfrackAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

I'd recommend some kind of temperature controller. Putting wood chips or chunks in the chute with your charcoal isn't very effective. Put em in the ash drawer where they'll smolder under the charcoal embers as they fall through the grate. The ATC/blower will keep temps steady if/when a chunk of wood flares up.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I have a MMS G20

1. Get a temp controller. I have a flame boss 300
2. For cooks 7 hrs or less, I use blue bag Kingsford.
3. For cooks longer than 7 hrs, I use Royal Oak lump
4. Use wood chunks or mini splits. Put them in the ash pan. Don’t use chips.
5. I get better results with no water pan. But always use a drip pan.
6. Keep top vent half open (or half closed).

Not sure what else? Just season well and cook till it’s ready and you should be good.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

I have the Cyber Q. I put chunks in the ash pan. They burn up pretty quick. Going to try a pan on the heat transfer chute. I am using Royal Oak Lump as well. The food is coming out good, just not the smoke flavor that I get on my other smoker.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfrackAK View Post
I have the Cyber Q. I put chunks in the ash pan. They burn up pretty quick. Going to try a pan on the heat transfer chute. I am using Royal Oak Lump as well. The food is coming out good, just not the smoke flavor that I get on my other smoker.
Are you keeping the exterior of the meat wet? Smoke sticks to wet. Also put chunks in when the smoker is up to temp. This way they burn at a natural speed instead of a turbo burn with the fan blowing directly on the chunks. You may do that already, just suggesting.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Yes. Water pan is full and I spritz as well. This cooker has much more moisture in the cooker than my other smoker.
I do wait for the temp to settle before putting the wood in, which also helps to keep the fan from blowing more ash into the cook chamber.
I have also put the meat in at a higher temp to start. After the meat is in, I turn the temp controller down to the cook temp so the fan will stay off to try to get more smoke and have the wood last longer.
I wish I could taste someone else's BBQ that uses one of these cookers as well as something from a stick burner.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Blue bag Kingsford? Is that the professional? I haven't seen it here before. I have limited access to variety up here in Alaska. Going to try it without the water pan as well.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Blue bag Kingsford? Is that the professional? I haven't seen it here before. I have limited access to variety up here in Alaska. Going to try it without the water pan as well.
About 5 months ago I switched from a stickburner to an insulated cabinet smoker with a huge water pan. When I first got it I would fill up the water pan with water and it would steam like crazy, but it didn't really produce very good BBQ in my opinion. The food was good but it tasted more like a roast or something I had cooked in a crock-pot rather than a smoker. Now I just leave the water pan dry and I get food that tastes just like it came off my stickburner.

The only con to not using water in the waterpan is that the grease and whatnot drips down onto the empty water pan during the cook, and it will get kind of nasty and bitter if I let that happen. You can put down an aluminum pan on top of the water pan and put some sand in it to catch those drippings and not allow them to burn.

Good luck with your commercial venture and I do hope that you can get this smoker working the way you want it to.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Blue bag Kingsford?
That's the standard Kingsford charcoal.

Maybe give a cook a go with no water pan and putting in seasoned mini-splits in? Also, what food have you been cooking?

Old 12-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

I will try it without the water pan. I do not have access to mini splits, just big chunks.
I have cooked spareribs, a turkey and a brisket. It seems that the bigger meats come out better. It was my first brisket and it turned out great.
I hope it works for me too. It was a lot to get it here. Worst case is I sell it and find a different one.
Thanks for the replies.

Aaron

Old 01-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Default On Pause

We have had a cold snap here, so I have not been able to try anything as discussed. Didn't really want to go out in -15F.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #12
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
I will try it without the water pan. I do not have access to mini splits, just big chunks.
I have cooked spareribs, a turkey and a brisket. It seems that the bigger meats come out better. It was my first brisket and it turned out great.
I hope it works for me too. It was a lot to get it here. Worst case is I sell it and find a different one.
Thanks for the replies.

Aaron
I had a gravity fed unit and never really got the smoke flavor I desired. I didn’t like having to put wood in the ash pan periodically as it would spike my temps for a short period of time after opening the door plus it wasn't as set it and forget it as I would like. Also the bottom rack was about useless in my gravity fed as it was considerably hotter. I went with a insulated reverse flow cabinet that is bottom load from Cascade Smokers and never looked back. I load my wood chunks in the fuel box along with my charcoal so I never need to load wood in the fuel box during a cook and it will run for about 40 hours before I need to reload fuel.
I never cook with water and I'm able to control the intensity of smoke flavor easily

Last edited by luv2smoke; 01-11-2020 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Last paragraph
luv2smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Thanks for the info. Do you need to use a temp controller such as a CyberQ with the Cascade smoker?

Old 01-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Do you need to use a temp controller such as a CyberQ with the Cascade smoker?
I don’t personally and have had zero issues with temp control. I must admit though I've been eyeballing controllers just for the cool factor and the ability to monitor and control remotely. I've often start my smoker and once to temp leave my house for several hours and return home to my smoker just chugging along at the same temperature when I left. Bottom line is my smoker from Cascade Smokers has performed flawlessly without a controller but having the ability to monitor and control the smoker remotely sounds intriguing.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
HalfrackAK
Found some matches.

Default Temp Controller

I like the fact that the controller makes this smoker cruise at the temp that I selected. (This smoker needs the controller to get to temp) What I don't like is that the controller blows the smoke out of the chamber. Part of the reason (I believe) for not getting enough smoke. If you were closer I would let you use this controller and see what I mean.