MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Default Restaurant Depot & Debit Cards

I am only posting this to educate those of you who wish to be informed. I'm trying not to impart opinion....but hey, my opinion is usually factual....

For the second time in less than 15 months, I have been one of the many thousands of Debit Card fraud victims....and the chance that the number and associated info was stolen from Restaurant Depot's data is very likely. The first time the card was compromised was around Thanksgiving 2011. My Credit Union's fraud company swept quickly and I was not severely impacted. I had to wait about 10 days to receive a new card from the time I was notified ( I was notified on Thanksgiving Morning 2011 and couldn't contact my Credit Union until Monday to order a new card).

This time, I was notified last Thursday (1/18 by phone call and I called my Credit Union the next day to let them know all the specifics.

The fraud company asked me about several charges from Wal-Mart and Target, none of which I participated in or authorized. I thought I was good. They shut the card down.

Not so fast....It turns out that one charge was indeed pushed through by Visa. It appears this charge was done as a "credit" and the signature line was signed (not by me, I have no idea what the signature looked like). This was at a Wal-Mart in Indianapolis.

I have learned that Visa has succumbed to pressure by Wal-Mart to indeed push through authorizations to charge and collect charges if there is ANY signature acquired on a credit purchase. This means the merchant (WM) GETS PAID.

What you then have to do is go through the formal dispute process. You have to take your time, inquire with the card issuer, fill out forms or verbally explain and answer questions and then the card issuer will present this to Visa for them to investigate. This is a several-week-long process and unless your card issuer wants to put the money back in your account, you are out the money until Visa determines the charge(s) are fraudulent.

Bottom line...cash only at RD and stay out of WM...

BTW, I have used a credit card at RD with no future problems. It appears the scammers that are able to get the info from RD know what numbers are associated with debit cards. Or the Credit Card system is better.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

That blows. Do you shop at the one downtown? I normally use a credit card, but after reading this (and others have said it has happened to them too) I will switch to cash. Funny, but my cc was reported as having been "compromised by a merchant" though the bank couldn't tell me who it was that reported it . I wonder if it was RD and am now surmising it was....so yeah from now on I'll be paying cash, which sucks because I never know how much I will need at that place .

Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I am sure that my card got flagged because of restaurant depot. BOA was solid with it though and nothing bad happened...strictly cash now.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I think that most there are strictly cash though. last time I was in I was behind someone who just bought $4k worth or stuff and whipped out a roll like a turkey leg. nothing like waiting for the cashier to check 200 $20's.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I've had my debit card canceled twice after going to RD - cash only from now on.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

My credit care has been compromised twice after use at RD. Cash only for me. Leave it to Wal-Mart to pave the way to take care of themselves while saving you money till they run all the competition out of town. Keith

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I've had my debit card canceled twice after going to RD - cash only from now on.
Was this at the RD in Alexandria?

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I received a MC gift card with $20 on it. I learned that the card can be refilled and used again and again as long as there is a prepaid balance. I intend to fill it with some $$s (over the phone or online) ahead of visiting RD and use that card. Saves having to carry around cash.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Was this at the RD in Alexandria?

wallace
Yes it was
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

We had the same issue here. Must have been RD, as the timing was right based on past posts.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

Yep. My debit card for my bbq account only gets used at RD. They got me two weeks ago for over $1100. My bank called to verify some suspicious transactions. I got the money back but I'll be going cash only at RD from now on as well.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

Same story here in MA.

I used my debit card at RD and just like last year,my bank card security company caught the mischeif, called me immediately and told me they were cancelling the card and would send me a new one within a week. A month later I got the letter from RD in the telling me my card "might" have been compromised. I know it was and thanks to my bank's good security system I had no consequences beyond having to change cards.

Hopefully RD upgrades their security as this was twice in a year.

Thgis post did remind me that I have also used a credit card on occasion and the issue only came up on purchases using my debit card. I'll probalby stick to a credit card from now on.
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

My debit card was copromised as well and the bank sent me a new one right away. The only Restaurant Depot I have been to is out in Des Plaines, IL. My guess this is where it happened.
Porky Joes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Just a quick question:

Has anybody that has had their cards compromised at RD had their card compromised elsewhere?

Just wondering if RD has really poor security or not.

Thanks.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

It doesn't matter what location you shop at. The card data is stored within RD's corporate servers/information. Someone that works at RD is mostly likely selling this data.

I think the pre-paid thing might be the ticket...if you don't or can't conveniently carry cash. Load one of those up and use it there only.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote