MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #151
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
I don't even have one yet and I'm already working on some mods for it. First I was thinking of making an adapter ring to set a WSM water pan above the coals for the heat diffuser. JM do you think there is room for the water pan? Here is a basic drawing.
I could be wrong but I don't think there is much room for a water pan, not anything deeper than a couple inches anyway. Speaking of water, I wouldn't suggest using water in this type of cooker. It retains moisture pretty well on it's own and you could get some serious steam burns if you are not careful. A clay saucer is perfect for this cooker and it's not pricey either.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #152
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

I can't get this kamado out of my mind. Will the price go up or down before summer?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #153
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Sold the Char-Griller finally, now I have to make a choice between saving and buying this grill or getting a OTG Kettle. Good problem to have.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #154
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

Hey JM I wanted to thank you for posting that Beef rub recipe on your blog site. I had a bottle of Montreal steak seasoning hanging around for a year so was glad for a way to try to get some use out of it. Applied a bit before grilling a skirt steak this evening. Wife and I really liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I did a little bit of air sealing yesterday on the ash pan and lower air vent to see if I can improve the airflow into this cooker. Upon closer inspection of the air vent after removing it from the pan, I found several sources of probable airflow issues. I used some high temp rtv silicone around the vent and a few other places to see if I can better control it. If those mods are successful, as I believe they will be, I'll post some photos of what I did....
Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #155
DannyDyson
Got rid of the matchlight.

I went to the post office and picked up a change of address pack and got the lowes 10% coupon out . I looked it over and it said it expired 2/15/12----CRAP !! I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wood chunks with the lump for smoke just the lump?
DannyDyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #156
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDyson View Post
I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wook chunks with the lump for smoker just the lump?
Good deal! On my egg, I put a wood chunk on the lump about 10 - 15 minutes before I put the meat on.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #157
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDyson View Post
I went to the post office and picked up a change of address pack and got the lowes 10% coupon out . I looked it over and it said it expired 2/15/12----CRAP !! I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wood chunks with the lump for smoke just the lump?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5351087_lowes-off-coupon.html

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Offers+and+Services_425333486_

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #158
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
I don't even have one yet and I'm already working on some mods for it. First I was thinking of making an adapter ring to set a WSM water pan above the coals for the heat diffuser. JM do you think there is room for the water pan? Here is a basic drawing.
I think it might work. I wouldn't make the water pan more than 2" deep or so... maybe 3". When I get mine uncovered again on Friday I'll have a closer look at that. I LOVE your idea and I think it would be awesome. The water pan would make it a lot easier to maintain the lower temps. I'd be interested in one of those for sure.

The WSM water pan is going to be too deep....
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #159
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think there is much room for a water pan, not anything deeper than a couple inches anyway. Speaking of water, I wouldn't suggest using water in this type of cooker. It retains moisture pretty well on it's own and you could get some serious steam burns if you are not careful. A clay saucer is perfect for this cooker and it's not pricey either.
Quote:
I think it might work. I wouldn't make the water pan more than 2" deep or so... maybe 3". When I get mine uncovered again on Friday I'll have a closer look at that. I LOVE your idea and I think it would be awesome. The water pan would make it a lot easier to maintain the lower temps. I'd be interested in one of those for sure.

The WSM water pan is going to be too deep....
Thanks that is good to know, I have zero experience with these types of cookers but I plan on picking one up Saturday along with some clay saucers and will make a prototype adapter ring on Monday, will post pictures and see how it goes.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #160
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Hey Brethren....did my seasoning burn in on my Char Griller last night. Cleaned off the cast iron grate with soap and water to get rid of the protective gunk that it had on, and then coated it up in oil for seasoning. Half filled the fire box with some RO lump. Lite up a weber starter cube on top of the lump and cover with some more lump losely to get her going. Once going nicely closed the lid and let it start to come up to temp. I was shooting for 400. When it was at 300 I started to close down the vents. Put them both to the 2 mark. When it got to 350 I closed the bottom vent to 1 and let it roll to 400 and then closed the top vent to 1 as well. From then on I barely had to touch any of the vents for the burn in. It held at 400 pretty much for 2 hours very nicely. I did use JM's suggestion of putting a Weber Charcoal grate where the difusser plate for this would go. I also had a 16 inch clay saucer sitting on that grate. After the burn in I closed off both vents to shut it down. At this point no smoke was noted so I do not believe I had any leaks to worry about. In about 45 minutes the temp was down below 300. Then another half hour had it below 250. Roughly 2 hours after clsoing it down I was under 100. I will be curious today when I get home to see how much of the lump was actually burned during this process. Overall very pleased with this on the initial run. Plan on a few cooks over the weekend and will try and post some PRON.

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]

Last edited by zwylde1; 03-08-2012 at 07:09 AM..
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #161
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

I got mine two days ago. My seasoning burn went just like Zwiled's. No leaks and easy temp control. I used all natural Stubb's bricks. After 2 hours seasoning I cooked a tri-tip and it came out juicy and delicious. I added a chunk of manzanita for extra flavor. Last night I cooked Chicken breasts on it and tonight,steaks. I think Mr. Setzler had a brilliant idea using the Weber charcoal grate on the diffuser level. I will buy one soon and a clay saucer too for a grease catcher,diffuser, water pan combo.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #162
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #163
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Sheesh. I don't need one but now I sure WANT one.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #164
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.
I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #165
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.
I have the offset and it's terrible, but I want one of these.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado